overall
RATINGS: 4126   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

thebeertourist (5189) - Oslo, NORWAY - MAR 15, 2006
Bottle. Light amber with a rather modest head, more like a thin film. Fruity aroma that is not very pronounced. The flavours are more interesting with a good deal of complexity- fruits, a hint of caramel, though generally very dry. Rounded and not too biting hop flavours. Good mouthfeel. A very pleasant IPA.

tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - MAR 11, 2006
Bottle. Pours a light, fizzy gold with a tight white head. The aroma is the same hops as other Stone brews, and a hint of dark fruits. The flavor is mostly general bitterness, a bit of maltiness (though not much), and some actual leafy hop flavor. This is a tasty IPA indeed.

MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - MAR 11, 2006
22oz - Aroma is hoppy, malty, and soapy. Pours orange with quickly fading head and great lacing. Flavor matches aroma with sharper hops. Palate is tart and crisp. I didn’t rate this when I lived in San Diego and got it fresh all the time. I rememer it being hoppier which leads me to believe this one has been on the shelf for a few months at least. Still very good. I’ll be on the lookout for a freshy.

nolankowal (938) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2006
UPDATED: APR 23, 2007 Stone has this habit of saying their beers are too powerful or hoppy for any one to really like them. But, more and more I find that to be their schtick rather than the truth. I always expect to be blown away by some sort of massive hop flavor, but more than anything else...they just seem to be well balanced. Pours a deep transparent gold color with a frothy white head. The aroma is quite hoppy, very piney and grassy...some citrus as well. It seems in this case that the bark is worse than the bite. While there is a moderate hoppy flavor, it’s nowhere near overwhelming...thoug it does remain dominant accompained by some very light carmelized sugar. This beer is light and refreshing, with just enough maltiness over the tounge to let you know it’s there. The finish it a small bitter hop punch with a warming alcohol feel.

Update: This is really one of my favorite sessions....it’s either this or Two-Hearted. This really derserves a better score that what I originally gave it.

murawski (160) - USA - MAR 10, 2006
Smooth, excellent IPA. Awesome aroma, and a nice balanced but strong hoppy flavor. Goes down smooth as butter. A bit hard to find in DC, but worth the search

dyetube (1378) - Hurst, Texas, USA - MAR 10, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2006 This beer pours a rich golden amber with a medium white head that leaves lacing down the sides. What a great citrusy floarly hoppy smell and BOY does this taste awesome... nice hoppines that lingers a little, but not overly hoppy! This is a well crafted beer. Cheers!

Mule (4) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 8, 2006 does not count
Superior IPA. Intense floral, citrus and a slight grassy aroma. I love this beer with its sweet character and balanced finish. Strong for the style though, carefull...

smcd (366) - USA - MAR 8, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2007 A great aroma, and a nice taste, but it always leaves me with a headache. Ultimately, a little too sweet -- if you can believe that!

ruggedman (647) - Portland, Maine, USA - MAR 8, 2006
Awesome text book IPA. Hoppy and bitter, but balanced just perfectly within the two. Very strong on the citrus hops, floral hops are in there too. I wish I could get this more frequently over here. If you’re just getting into beer drinking and you want to know what an IPA is this is about what I’d hand you.

Snojerk321 (2960) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 6, 2006
This brew is in my top 5 IPA’s of all time. I work at a store called Beverages and More, and go through about 8 cases a week!! By far my best selling IPA. The aroma is very floral, just how I like it!