overall
RATINGS: 3964   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

mcnally (114) - Burbank, California, USA - APR 12, 2006
This was my first IPA and this made quite an impression. Strong aroma of hops. I like the pour, a bright orangish, amber color with an off-white head that diminished to a decent lacing. Someone described the taste as lemony, and I guess that about hits the main notes of this beer’s flavor. I wasn’t crazy about it at first, but as I got towards the end of my bottle, I quite enjoyed it. And although the alchohol is not prevalent in the taste, I was feeling it pretty strongly by the end of the pint and a half.

hiphoppy (6) - USA - APR 7, 2006 does not count
From a 12oz bottle .nice pour. . light sweet citrus tatse.. very drinkable. soft bitterness at the end.

jcwattsrugger (12559) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - APR 7, 2006
12 oz bottle-pours a 2 finger offwhite head that laces with gold color. Aroma is lemon zest. Taste is lemon zest hops with secondary malt. Creamy, mild carbonation.

jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - APR 1, 2006
From a 12 oz. painted label long neck capped brown bottle with a blurb about the IPA and Stone Brewing on the back of bottle, no bottled/freshness date. Made a very good appearance, poured a hazy bright amber with a billowing, fluffy white head that settled into a clingy thin lacing, good carbonation. Had a nice piney, cedary and a bit herbal hop nose with some tropical fruitiness around the edges. A smooth, creamy, crisp light bodied mouth feel, very good drinkability. Delicious dry hoppy taste, piney and herbal spice, a good rolling bitterness on the tongue, some tropical fruitiness, a balancing grainy, biscuity maltiness and a dry grainy finish with a lingering hoppiness in the palate. I don’t know what else I can add or say about this IPA, I just think it is exceptional, balanced and quite quaffable.

NachlamSie (3600) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 28, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2009 bottle. Cloudy orange pour, a little white head which disappears soon. The aroma is very crisp: floral, grapefruit and sweet malts. This brew goes down easy, like juice. Spicy and bitter though balanced with caramel and brown sugar. Good easy drinking stuff, not as remarkable as the Ruination, needless to say.
[march 5,2009]
Bottle best before April 28, 2009. It’s so rare to find fresh Stone in Knoxville, I was a little excited to snatch this one off the shelf at McScrooges. This beer has a pretty clear body, looks filtered, and a large white head forms and lasts. The aroma is delightful with assertive grapefruit, herbs, and pine. It’s a clean and juicy aroma. Ah, this is a good IPA with plenty of resinous quality and a strong hop dose in every sip. This one has plenty of grapefruit and grassiness but strays away from being heavily dank. It’s a clean and hoppy IPA which I certainly enjoy having access to.

jimrockford (63) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 28, 2006
This is the litmus test for SD IPAs. Perfect hop flavor with the malt side of the coin. If I were to make an IPA this is it Orange pour Pnie spice lavender type of hop aroma and carmel balance. Pillar of an IPA

JugOPunch (83) - Nashua, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 27, 2006
22oz bottle: An orange gold pour. A nice citrus and pine aroma. The flavor is citrus and sweet with good hop bitterness. Overall, balanced but just a tad too sweet for me. I would have liked a little less malt. But feels good on the palate anyway with a creamy smooth body. Nice beer.

PhysZac (69) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAR 26, 2006
Bottle at MacNiven’s. Waitress poured and snuck down the side, so no head. Perfect golden body with perfect white lacing. Smelled very intense but not overwhelming. Lots of orange grapefruit and some pine. Excellent flavor with orange again present. Good bitterness lingers a moderate time and is very well balanced. Thin bodied, but not watery. A little soft, but not fizzy. Very good.

beerbomb (239) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 26, 2006
Aroma is beautiful; extreme vegetative hops. There is a woody, spicy background in the flavor coming through big time in addition to the strong grapefruit and pine. Carbonation makes for a near perfect biting effect with the hop hit. Palate retains woody, floral flavors; not just straight up bitterness. This stuff is just about #1 for me. If Troegs NN was definitely a ’double amber’ I’d say this is #1 in a second.

Hangover (1153) - oxford, Georgia, USA - MAR 25, 2006
Slightly dark copper amber pour with an initially large but fading caramel colored head. Hoppy aroma, mainly floral and spruce and I dare say, raisins. TIngly, bitter mouthfeel. Not the hoppiest beer I’ve had, but there is a really nice malt backbone in there, delivering a lot of balance as well as some dried fruit undercurrents. Finishes with a slightly resinous citrus. It’s not really as agressive, at least to me, as the description maintains, but for an IPA, I’ll quote Goldilocks as saying... "It’s just right".