overall
RATINGS: 4109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

jmcguire1969 (162) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - SEP 3, 2005
Hey now...Iíve really liked this one for a while. Glad to finally be rating it. Aroma is mostly malty with some hops and a bit of warm alcohol smell to it. I swear that is Fuggles in the aroma but not certain. Tons of hops in the flavor...a little sweet with a bite to it and surprisingly not a whole lot of bitterness...at least immediately. This is a heavy beer but good sippiní ENJOY!

MrBunn (2807) - The Wet Side of a Dry Town, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 30, 2005
Outstanding! Pours a beatiful amber color with a massive foamy head that laces as it dissipates. Aroma is probably the weak link here--floral, a bit of apple hops, grass and pine, etc, but it is a bit understated. Taste is dominated by hops, but the rest of the elements all come together extremely well. I expected the hops to dominate a lot more and stand out from the rest of the flavor, but this isnít the case. Everything is so well balanced and blends extremely well.

RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - AUG 21, 2005
Bomber picked up at Dyess AFB, Texas. Iíve been looking forward to trying this for a while. Pours a nice golden colore with a one finger head that quickly fades to a thim layer, and pretty good lacing. Has a great floral, hoppy, pine and citrus smell, that really makes me look forward to drinking it. I love the smell of a good IPA. Taste is of grapefruit, hops, pine and malt. I was expecting a bigger hop bite to this beer, but this is a well balanced beer with great drinkability. I finished my first glass before I realized it. I hope that I can find some more Stone Brewing beers

Nel (180) - Virginia, USA - AUG 20, 2005
This is a very good ipa. It has some excellent undertones that make it one of the best ipas out there.

BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - AUG 18, 2005
Bottle: Poured an amber color with a nice, creamy, white head that took itís time to diminish. To aroma was unbelievable. Smells of grapefruit, pine and peppermint. The taste was a nice bitterness throughout with tastes of citrus and flowers. Light to medium body, that went down very smooth. This is an excellent IPA.

bikesandbeers (547) - san diego, California, USA - AUG 18, 2005
Makes me proud to live in San Diego County. Bottle. Pale orangish color with a citurusy aroma to match. Hoppy, but a much more complex flavor than jsut hops. Finishes sharp and clean without any pain. A great brew from a great place!

Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - AUG 15, 2005
On tap at the Falling Rock in Denver. Pale amber with a modest head of fine off white head. Settles fairly quickly, but leaves some nice viscous residue. A wonderful bright citrus hop aroma. So big it almost seems like candy. The maltiness is there too--sweet and honey-like, but blending in seemlessly into the hops. Smells creamy, almost like lemon orange sorbet. A bit of pine. Big lip curling hops. Hoppy as all get out. But it doesnít leave you with just hop bite. As I exhale the bitterness is relieved with a bready warm maltiness that keeps the hop abuse from being too much. Surprisingly light on the palate, clean finish. This beer makes me understand what all the fuss about Stone is for. Stunningly good IPA.

eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - AUG 15, 2005
Orange with a white head. The aroma is sweet oranges and lemons with the oranges being more pungent. The flavor is quite fruity. Huge citrus character to this one (orange and lemon) with strong hops to boot. This is just a glorified GI IPA. Some slight dryness in the finish.

BitchesBrew (716) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - AUG 14, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2005 [bomber] Part of my recent IPA frenzy, this is my first experience with Stone brews, and after hearing a lot about them, I had my expectations up. I was impressed from the beginning- clear, golden amber color and fluffy white head. The aroma is strong citrus and piney hops. Flavors are immediately strong hops, then sweet caramel and malts. This is a real smooth-drinking IPA, but it still has some serious punch. I will definitely pick this one up again.

DanielBrown (4499) - Birmingham (via Leicester), West Midlands, ENGLAND - AUG 9, 2005
Bottle from GBBF 05, but drunken at home. Bright gold, poured with a fluffy white head. Smells good - a little piney citrus. Flavour: initial fresh hops, then a relaxed malt streak. Banana tinged, flat, sharp finish (some polish). Very tasty, but I think the bottling possibly left this a little lacking in the middle order. MORE STONE BEERS IN UK WANTED, PLEASE!