overall
RATINGS: 3938   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

DrBayern (1140) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - DEC 27, 2005
I did a little mini tasting to compare this with Victory Hop Devil and Great Divide IPA, compared side by side. The Stone is a faintly hazy gold topped by a medium white head. Fine bubbles that stick to the glass, a very inviiting look indeed. Beautiful aroma of light citrus and floral hops that suggests the treasure that awaits. Smooth and lightly carbonated, not at all harsh like some IPA’s out there. The flavor is that of citrus over a nice caramel malt backbone. This beer is just beautifully balanced. The dry finish is not overly bitter or offending, the downfall of many IPa’s. Just a marvelously crafted beer. With regard to my impressions of the GD IPA and the Victory Hop Devil next to the Stone offering, I wrote down my impressions and ratings, and then went back to see how I had rated them before, and there was little difference. They are both very good IPA’s, but the Stone is the best that I’ve had to date.

thehipone (197) - AUSTRALIA - DEC 25, 2005
AS advertised, loads of american hop flavor and aroma. The body was a little light, but I guess that just makes it easier to drink. Light pine tree aroma coupled with sour citrus fruit. A nice balanced IPA, wont blow the hopheads away, but tasty.

stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - DEC 25, 2005
A delight for hop heads everywhere. I like to let this age about six months. The malt comes through a bit more and the hops mellow out a but. But I should advance this disclaimer: I’m NOT a hophead. Quality stuff to be sure, but I don’t like sage brush/pine aromas to prevail over my mug. When I’m in the mood, nothing else will do, though.

albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - DEC 24, 2005
Another delicious treat from Stone. Deep orange-copper color, rocky white head. Aroma is floral, piney hops with a mildly toasty, malty backbone. Flavor is hoppy but well balanced with slightly toasty crisp malt. Finishes bitterly, leaving a fresh hoppy aftertaste. Very warming as well.

Aarleks (409) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 23, 2005
Bottle (RB Sydney XMASG ’05): Cloudy orange amber. Light coloured, chewy toffee aromas with some darker, slightly burnt malt notes underneath lots of structural, tokay-like hops. This one certainly has a strong presence; stone fruits (haha) and smokey caramel malts are almost instantly replaced by slightly burnt caramel, then a fist full of vibrantly spicy, pine/orange hop flavours that dominate the back palate. I really enjoyed this, though probably because of the hype I was expecting more. My main criticism is that, especially in the flavour spectrum, it seems to be a combination of powerful ingredients rather than a cohesive, integrated whole. This results in some gaps appearing in between the ingredients. Still, this is a really nice beer.

peter (445) - Normal, Illinois, USA - DEC 23, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2008 Small bleach white head drips down the glass. Heavy aroma of hops with subtle tones of banana, malt, and yeast. Light and sticky on the tounge, a wonderful blend of hops dance down the throat.

Dough77 (822) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - DEC 21, 2005
Fantastic IPA from Stone. Pours a nice deep copper goldish pour. Nose big on hop, pine, easy citrus. Not overly bitter as some IPA’s especially from the Cali area can be, but just enough to appease the palate and make this a terrific beer. Would love to live closer to its distribution and make it a regular.

Likeburning (149) - Franklin, Tennessee, USA - DEC 19, 2005
A heffe-like cloudy tint, but an ipa amber color with a thin white head on top. A tart beginning goes away quickly yielding a calm and short lived aftertaste. Overall very good for an IPA, but not quite the best I’ve had.

tlitt2 (58) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - DEC 18, 2005
220z from shopper’s village. Pours a medium orange with yellowness. A mdecent sized head, not fluffy but a nice dense head. Aoma of pine, citrus. Flavor of hops, citrus, maybe grapefruit. Palate is wonderfully rich. Seems very balanced in terms of hops/ malt to me. I think this is really only my second IPA, next to Goosse Island. Still, one can’t not be incredibly impressed with this beer. Enough sweet to balance hops, and complexity balanced by drinkability. Fantastic. Oh yeah, and this is my 50th beer.

SuIIy (1984) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - DEC 15, 2005
12oz bottle from santa. Pours a very light orange color with a small receding white head. leaves nice lacing. Nose is quite hoppy, nice grapefruit and lemon touch, quite citrusy. Palate is full with a pleasant bitterfinish. Notes of malt, dryness, some grapefruit, light lemons and oranges, and a bitter finish with light alochol present.