overall
RATINGS: 3914   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

MereLikesBeer (195) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - JUN 11, 2009
So this is my first Stone beer, and I would have to say that I am not overly impressed, however not disappointed. It poured a hazy straw yellow with an eggshell white colored head. Aromas were mostly hoppy. I didn’t really pick up on any citrus like I do with many other IPA’s. Taste sort of translated, it was pretty hoppy and had a sort of bitter taste to it, with absolutely no citrus taste. Overall it is a decent IPA, however I like them to have a bit more balance to them than this. I will try some other stuff from Stone :)

p0urmeac0ld0ne (195) - Merthyr Tydfil, WALES - AUG 31, 2017
very bitter, fantastic colour and an easily drinkable IPA, for it's strength. this one will creep up on you! a staple of the IPA world and now (thankfully) quite common in UK supermarkets canned.

jamiemac87 (194) - Durham, ENGLAND - MAY 30, 2017
Pours clear amber with a good head. Pine, malt and citrus on the nose. Lots of hop character with biscuit and citrus flavours. Finishes long and bitter. A classic.

drabmuh (194) - Maryland, USA - NOV 24, 2010
Stone IPA is one of, well, it is my favorite beer. I can drink a Stone IPA and completely change my mood. Stone is probably the best example of an American IPA available. I’ve made IPAs a focus of my beer drinking and sampling and I can say without hyperbole, this is a great beer. Of course it is better on draught than in the bottle, but I had a 12 oz bottle of it served in my Stone IPA glass. Medium head, strong aroma of cascade hops, dark yellow, clear (although sometimes the bottles are cloudy). Excellent mouthfeel, a great amount of hops but the bitterness is not overpowering. Serving type: bottle

bigabe (194) - California, USA - APR 27, 2011
This is one of the great Cali IPAs that defines the style. It pours a slightly unclear yellow/gold with a small white head that clings all the way down. Aroma is strong grapefruit, aroma hops, and a little booze. The taste starts out with a slightly citrusy sweet grapefruit note and then bombs you with hops. It bitter, strong, and dry on the finish. A little booze sneaks in at the end as well. When I can’t find Pliny, this is what I grab.

VengefulOdin (193) - , Missouri, USA - JUL 13, 2011
Having sampled many of Stone’s offerings in the past, I’m finally getting the chance to try their IPA. This is a 22 ounce bomber that I’m pouring into a goblet. The appearance is hazy, and it almost looks like there is some yeast sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I didn’t think that Stone bottle conditioned but maybe I’m wrong. Color is a deep golden yielding to copper. Head is minimal but it has gorgeous lacing. Not surprisingly, hops dominate the nose. This is an IPA, after all, and a West-coast style one, to boot. Fruity citrus hops dominate, followed by floral and musty pine. In the background there’s this wonderful hint of malt caramel sweetness. Often you get an IPA with muted hop character, and that’s certainly not the case here. The smell on this is just so crisp and fresh – a sure sign that this is a very fresh IPA and one that’s been treated with care. The first taste showcases a nice level of carbonation, and moderate bitterness that isn’t overpowering. Having had Ruination in the past, it’s nice to get a beer from Stone that actually attempts to maintain some semblance of balance. Taste has a nice residual sweetness to it, including in the finish. It’s easy to finish IPAs with bitterness, but this, surprisingly, seems to go more towards the sweet side. That said the body of the beer is light, dry, and refreshing. Lots of flavor for something that goes down so easily. The label says 6.9% ABV but the alcohol is never apparent. Stone gets a lot of praise for the other beers that they produce, but this is an underrated example of the West-Coast IPA style. It’s a little bit light in body, but this lends to easy drinking. The hop profile and underrated malt backbone make this beer a winner.

Shrews629 (193) - Kentucky, USA - MAR 21, 2011
This brew poured a very attractive orange color. it was cloudy with a somewhat average sized white head. Not a whole heap of retention and it left some lacing clinging to the sides of the glass. A nice floral and perfumy aroma. I smell the grapefruit and some orange. Both citrusy and fruity. Some piney notes along with some mild malt. Smells very nice and balanced. I started to get a dry bread smell as it warmed a bit. A prominent amount of bitterness at first with the taste. Medium to high hop flavor. Grapefruit citrus is really nice and not over the top. A touch piney. Again, very well balanced and even. A slight resinous flavor as the beer went down. Medium mouthfeel. Wonderful dry and snappy crisp. Really blankets the palate and the taste hangs on for a great long while. Nice!!! Goes down way too easy. Everytime I have a Stone beer I’m impressed. This brew is no different. Very solid all the way around. Perfect for the Spring and Summer days. Most definitely worth a try. Cheers.

Vikingbrew (193) - Colorado, USA - SEP 28, 2010
This is the beer that is my standard for all IPA’s I try. It’s just oh so good. Hoppy aroma, hoppy bitter flavor, and hoppy bitter aftertaste. What could be better? Crisp and refreshing anytime of year. I wish I was closer to San Diego to get some on tap

dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 16, 2002
Being on the east coast this stuff is impossible for me to find. But lucky my friend brought back 4 22Oz. of Stone beers when he came to visit. Now to see if this IPA would live up to the hype. First i crack it open and take a whif. Ahhh a refreshing citrus/ fruity/ earthy hop oder hits me. I poured it into a pint glass to check the color and head, both of which are very enticing. Now for the moment of truth. Its up, its down, and damn is it good. clean crisp earthy citrusy hop flavor the keeps hittin yer taste buds even after its down the throat. Now i guess i have to wait to move before i can have em on a regular basis

DigitalMan (193) - Idaho, USA - APR 21, 2009
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2009 Aroma seems much weaker than I was expecting. Flavor is big hops, citrus and clean, bracing bitterness. Alcohol taste seems right up front, too, not at all hidden. The first 12 oz. was great, but everything here is so intense that it was not easy to finish the whole 22 oz. bomber.