overall
RATINGS: 3938   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

dankfor20 (196) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 16, 2002
Being on the east coast this stuff is impossible for me to find. But lucky my friend brought back 4 22Oz. of Stone beers when he came to visit. Now to see if this IPA would live up to the hype. First i crack it open and take a whif. Ahhh a refreshing citrus/ fruity/ earthy hop oder hits me. I poured it into a pint glass to check the color and head, both of which are very enticing. Now for the moment of truth. Its up, its down, and damn is it good. clean crisp earthy citrusy hop flavor the keeps hittin yer taste buds even after its down the throat. Now i guess i have to wait to move before i can have em on a regular basis

BigSound (196) - New York, USA - MAR 26, 2012
From notes. Pours a nice transparent golden yellow, two fingers of white head tops it off leaving some wicked lacing. Super hoppy aroma, smells like simcoe, hop resin, a bit of malt in the background but not much and the expected tropical fruit. Lots of hoppy flavors with a nice light body, very drinkable with a refreshing bright carbonation.

alexandersh (196) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - APR 21, 2013
Bottle; Golden honey color with an off white creamy head. Aroma: herbal, citrus with breat/wheat notes, spice. Flavor: Creamy, dry biting spicy tart flavor with a grapefruit finish.

marv3mania (195) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - JUL 12, 2013
12 oz. bottle poured into tulip glass. Appearance is a golden orange color with a moderate off-white head. Aroma is lots of citrus, pine, and bitter hops. Taste follows the nose, though the pine is a bit more prominent on the tongue. Overall, a high quality IPA.

MereLikesBeer (195) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - JUN 11, 2009
So this is my first Stone beer, and I would have to say that I am not overly impressed, however not disappointed. It poured a hazy straw yellow with an eggshell white colored head. Aromas were mostly hoppy. I didn’t really pick up on any citrus like I do with many other IPA’s. Taste sort of translated, it was pretty hoppy and had a sort of bitter taste to it, with absolutely no citrus taste. Overall it is a decent IPA, however I like them to have a bit more balance to them than this. I will try some other stuff from Stone :)

firefly765 (195) - - APR 18, 2013
Pours with a nice creamy head white. A bit cloudy with a golden amber orange-ish hue. Grapefruit and apricot in the nose not overwhelming. Nicely balanced a bit of a harsh aftertaste though. Nice to drink. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

QcBeer (195) - Quebec, CANADA - JAN 7, 2016
Couleur Doré et clair. Arome de banane, poire, et ananas. L’amertume du houblon en bouche et coriace, mais tendre à la fois. Ensemble fruité, dont on ressent les agrumes, le pin et les épices. la finale sèche ressort une bonne amertume. Awesome IPA

bigabe (194) - California, USA - APR 27, 2011
This is one of the great Cali IPAs that defines the style. It pours a slightly unclear yellow/gold with a small white head that clings all the way down. Aroma is strong grapefruit, aroma hops, and a little booze. The taste starts out with a slightly citrusy sweet grapefruit note and then bombs you with hops. It bitter, strong, and dry on the finish. A little booze sneaks in at the end as well. When I can’t find Pliny, this is what I grab.

drabmuh (194) - Maryland, USA - NOV 24, 2010
Stone IPA is one of, well, it is my favorite beer. I can drink a Stone IPA and completely change my mood. Stone is probably the best example of an American IPA available. I’ve made IPAs a focus of my beer drinking and sampling and I can say without hyperbole, this is a great beer. Of course it is better on draught than in the bottle, but I had a 12 oz bottle of it served in my Stone IPA glass. Medium head, strong aroma of cascade hops, dark yellow, clear (although sometimes the bottles are cloudy). Excellent mouthfeel, a great amount of hops but the bitterness is not overpowering. Serving type: bottle

jamiemac87 (194) - Durham, ENGLAND - MAY 30, 2017
Pours clear amber with a good head. Pine, malt and citrus on the nose. Lots of hop character with biscuit and citrus flavours. Finishes long and bitter. A classic.