overall
RATINGS: 4126   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Dogfish120 (143) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - NOV 8, 2006
On tap: Appeared classic cloudy amber with nice lacing and head. Expected hoppy notes, very crisp aroma. Starts off with the fruity punch, followed by the hopping senstion. Dry hopped for sure, this is one of the most crisp ipas i’ve had. Perfectly bitter. Dangerous., but good

hepburn82 (143) - SCOTLAND - NOV 13, 2006
Pours an orange amber with nice lively appearance, good lacing and head. Cheesy, smoky, citrusy fresh hop aroma. Full bodied, smooth and long finish. Flower and perfume. Well balanced and not overpowering. Doesn’t show its strength. I like.

andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 9, 2003
Golden in color, light for a pale ale, with a huge head of tiny bubbles. Perhaps the best head I have ever seen. Beautiful floral hop aroma. A very balanced brew. Nice citrusy hop finish. Even better than the Arrogant Bastard Ale.

Botnik (142) - Fall River, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 26, 2008
A bit light for my taste. Clean, good hops; not much depth. But then, I prefer imperial stouts.

Mutualaid (142) - Texas, USA - MAY 8, 2009
Pours golden with two fingers of frothy white head; nice lacing. A brief wisp of malt aroma is quickly outgunned by the bouquet of the freshest floral hops; a tiny bit of skunk. Flavor is well balanced between the aggressive hop bitterness and the flavors of malt and evergreen hops. Medium body and a clean finish. This is a great beer and the best thing by Stone I’ve had.

iceman15658 (142) - Acme, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 6, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2009 From bottle to pint glass. pungent hoppy aroma. Nice golden appearance. Hints of grapefruit. A solid IPA

jstonerock24 (142) - Englewood, Ohio, USA - OCT 25, 2013
Aroma is citrusy, nice and hoppy. Flavor is citrusy and hop flavor does stick with you like its brother ruination but for a normal IPA it is nice.

chadski (141) - California, USA - JUN 2, 2016
A definite classic. Such a great balance from start to finish. Sometimes I find myself taking out for granted until I have another. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

ENTROPY (141) - Terra Bella, California, USA - OCT 20, 2002
I got to drink this at LAX while me and my bros eat a pizza, anyway I give this brew an: A

Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - AUG 23, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2003 Pours golden with a small head and medium carbonation. Floral, citrisy, grapefruit aroma. Taste pine, grapefruit, woodsy. This IPA doesn't have the malt kick to balance the hops like dreadnaught or dfh 90, but it is balanced by other flavors and its subtle malt end quite nicely. An excellent IPA right up there in the same league as 3 floyds and dogfish head. RERATE 08/31/03--One last comment about this beer. I bought a sixer of it, and I have been noticing a unique balancing act this beer does. After every sip, the hopiness is overwhelming, and stays completely unbalanced until the very very end. Then, a small spike of maltiness hits just as the flavors have all finished. Every sip, every time. This is an outstanding beer. I am upping the flavor and overall by one point