overall
RATINGS: 3961   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.96/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

michaeltrego (101) - Amherst, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 8, 2003
This is the best IPA I have ever tasted. It is perfectly balanced. Nicely golden and a glorious head. What type of hops do they use? It has a wonderful hoppy flavor, but is not overpowering like most IPA's that try to go over the top. Way better than the other IPA variations that Stone is offering. I just wish I lived near the brewery because a 6-pack cost 10.95 in Mass. Ouch!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 16/20
MagooinPA (101) - Rotonda Lakes, Florida, USA - FEB 25, 2007
12oz pour. a bright golden sunshine color with nice rocky head that laced the whole way down the glass. great hops + malt balance with a nice hoppy/piney finish. Awesome IPA. Alcohol well hidden. I couldnt beleive it is 6.9%.

xenthem0nk (101) - Oregon, USA - JUL 6, 2007
Pours light amber. Tall foamy head. Great aroma, lots of hops, and bitter fruit. Flavor was good, complex. Texture had carbonation, but retained the smooth feel I like in IPAs. Recommend it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hammerbeck (101) - Kentucky, USA - AUG 31, 2007
I enjoy IPAs more than most styles of beer, and this one really confuses me. Maybe it was the particular bottle I had, but it was almost a caricature of an IPA. The floral hoppiness was almost too much so. The bitterness was a little too exaggerated. On the other hand, it was delicious and I enjoyed every drop. Strange.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tylerss20 (101) - New Hampshire, USA - MAY 21, 2009
Good for the style. Just a little too much for me. High marks for quality, low on drinkability. Not my favorite style, so keep my bias in mind when considering my rating. Another solid stone offering.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ChrisJ (100) - Warrenton, Virginia, USA - OCT 19, 2007
Pours orange/gold with a small off white head. Aroma is huge citrus and pine. The flavor is equally big, huge hop flavor, with a nice balance between sweet and bitter. A buttery resin finish that stays with you. Very nice IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
chrisafari (100) - Orange, California, USA - MAY 8, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2008 On Cask (hand-pump) @ Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens. Special release with Summit and Amarillo Hops. Pours light golden yellow, cloudy. Small clear white head. Sweet, orange aroma with a definite kick of hops. Starts off with sweet tangerine/lemon notes then becomes intensely hoppy with accompanying spice and Ting. Hops spread to the sides and back of the tongue. Cask gives the pallet a smooth rich texture with perfect carbonation. Lingers a long time on the back of the tongue. Great stuff!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
T3llLAllDE (100) - USA - JUL 12, 2007
very bitter beer about as bitter as you can get before it becomes to much. looks great smells nice. the first taste is a punch in the face of bitterness only for the biggest fans of IPA but a must try for all beer lovers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - OCT 17, 2004
Bottle. Hoppy, floral aroma, very pleasant. Golden color, white head. Lots of hops, nice and bitter, and plenty satisfying, but just enough malt flavor to offset the hops, making it very drinkable. More hops in the aftertaste, and I want an IPA to remind me what it tasted like well after the fact. I think the extra hops and alcohol in the Ruination makes this beers big brother the better of the two, but this beer is every bit as good. I could drink this every day for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied, I thank my local supermarket for being well stocked with bombers of this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Doctormirk (100) - USA - FEB 11, 2007
UPDATED: APR 11, 2007 Bottled and tap @ the Brewery. Smells hoppy and lemon grassy. Apearance is of a rich apple cider or juice. Tastes grassy, and of grapefruit. Lasting hop flavor.