overall
RATINGS: 4059   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Krausen (102) - USA - MAR 1, 2006
Slightly hazy golden brew has a sharp citrus aroma, strong grapefruit note. The light body finishes with a sharp but clean bitterness that is a wash with fresh hop flavor. This is a nice west coast IPA that is hoppy with assertive bitterness but still well balanced.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ZepolK (102) - South Side Montebello, California, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Pine and citrus aroma with clear golden amber color and a medium white head. Flavor is excellent with a wonderful hop bite. Alcohol is very well hidden. A great IPA.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
donniemillan (102) - AUSTRALIA - APR 17, 2015
It pours golden yellow, thin white head medium bubbles. The aroma is pine, grass, zest, dont get much else. As expectee strong hops flavour, everlasting bitter finish. Its one dimensional but nails it.

michaeltrego (101) - Amherst, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 8, 2003
This is the best IPA I have ever tasted. It is perfectly balanced. Nicely golden and a glorious head. What type of hops do they use? It has a wonderful hoppy flavor, but is not overpowering like most IPA's that try to go over the top. Way better than the other IPA variations that Stone is offering. I just wish I lived near the brewery because a 6-pack cost 10.95 in Mass. Ouch!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jables (101) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 24, 2004
Poured a light, clear copper colour, with a decent head. A little more clear than what I had expected. Smells, well like an IPA should, clean and crisp of citric hops. Taste is strong of citric hops with a lightly sweet malt background continuing throughout. Mouthfeel I found disturbingly thin, not because it is really thin but because it was thnner than a well built pale ale, and I expect an IPA to have a heavier mouthfeel than an APA. Overall this is a good, well-built beer, just not as good as expectation and hype. I'd drink again, most definitely, but I won't hold this up as the best IPA I've ever had, it's not.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 16/20
MagooinPA (101) - Rotonda Lakes, Florida, USA - FEB 25, 2007
12oz pour. a bright golden sunshine color with nice rocky head that laced the whole way down the glass. great hops + malt balance with a nice hoppy/piney finish. Awesome IPA. Alcohol well hidden. I couldnt beleive it is 6.9%.

xenthem0nk (101) - Oregon, USA - JUL 6, 2007
Pours light amber. Tall foamy head. Great aroma, lots of hops, and bitter fruit. Flavor was good, complex. Texture had carbonation, but retained the smooth feel I like in IPAs. Recommend it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hammerbeck (101) - Kentucky, USA - AUG 31, 2007
I enjoy IPAs more than most styles of beer, and this one really confuses me. Maybe it was the particular bottle I had, but it was almost a caricature of an IPA. The floral hoppiness was almost too much so. The bitterness was a little too exaggerated. On the other hand, it was delicious and I enjoyed every drop. Strange.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tylerss20 (101) - New Hampshire, USA - MAY 21, 2009
Good for the style. Just a little too much for me. High marks for quality, low on drinkability. Not my favorite style, so keep my bias in mind when considering my rating. Another solid stone offering.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - OCT 17, 2004
Bottle. Hoppy, floral aroma, very pleasant. Golden color, white head. Lots of hops, nice and bitter, and plenty satisfying, but just enough malt flavor to offset the hops, making it very drinkable. More hops in the aftertaste, and I want an IPA to remind me what it tasted like well after the fact. I think the extra hops and alcohol in the Ruination makes this beers big brother the better of the two, but this beer is every bit as good. I could drink this every day for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied, I thank my local supermarket for being well stocked with bombers of this.