overall
RATINGS: 4109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - OCT 17, 2004
Bottle. Hoppy, floral aroma, very pleasant. Golden color, white head. Lots of hops, nice and bitter, and plenty satisfying, but just enough malt flavor to offset the hops, making it very drinkable. More hops in the aftertaste, and I want an IPA to remind me what it tasted like well after the fact. I think the extra hops and alcohol in the Ruination makes this beerís big brother the better of the two, but this beer is every bit as good. I could drink this every day for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied, I thank my local supermarket for being well stocked with bombers of this.

Doctormirk (100) - USA - FEB 11, 2007
UPDATED: APR 11, 2007 Bottled and tap @ the Brewery. Smells hoppy and lemon grassy. Apearance is of a rich apple cider or juice. Tastes grassy, and of grapefruit. Lasting hop flavor.

chrisafari (100) - Orange, California, USA - MAY 8, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2008 On Cask (hand-pump) @ Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens. Special release with Summit and Amarillo Hops. Pours light golden yellow, cloudy. Small clear white head. Sweet, orange aroma with a definite kick of hops. Starts off with sweet tangerine/lemon notes then becomes intensely hoppy with accompanying spice and Ting. Hops spread to the sides and back of the tongue. Cask gives the pallet a smooth rich texture with perfect carbonation. Lingers a long time on the back of the tongue. Great stuff!

Beerbuddha (100) - New Orleans, Louisiana, USA - JUL 7, 2010
This beer poured a golden, coppery straw color with a huge white rocky head. The smell was great! Nice typical hoppiness smells such as citrus nd pine. The taste was wonderful as well with a nice maltiness in the front followed by a proper bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel was thick. Nice heavy body with medium carbonation. Overall incredible. Stone Brewing is one of the best breweries out there. Enough said.

iNBe (100) - USA - SEP 2, 2010
I know IPA fanboys will hate me for this, but I really didnít care for this one.

emarkd (100) - Georgia, USA - MAR 17, 2015
Love this stuff! Great citrus/bitter flavors but nicely balanced. Very good.

Enno101 (100) - - JUL 12, 2016
Pours clear pale gold. Aroma: Dank hops that open into floral grapefruit, citrus and orange. Taste: Grassy hops, citrus fruit, solid malt backbone and a big bitter finish. Overall: Great example of a classic west coast IPA, but there are better on the market now at the same price point.

fackbesokare (100) - - DEC 26, 2016
Can form the importer. malty and big body, more than expected. maybe I prefer more light ones. great ipa of course.

mhot55 (99) - USA - JUL 29, 2007
"aroma- citrus, floral, resin. appearance is a little a clear honey color that looks crisp and clean with bubbles bursting to the top. mouthfeel- you get hit with the hops at the beginning, middle and end- yet there isnít an overpowering bitterness- a good strong one with floral and citrus undertones. Malt is present in the middle- minor sweetness, nothing thick or sticky- just a mellow malt presence. This made the body feel a little thin but the hops make up for the malt thinness. Just as ggod at the beginning as the end. Has all the tastes of a good IPA without overpowering the senses- citrus/grapefruit, floral, pine. VERY drinkable "

brocker (99) - Salina, Utah, USA - MAR 22, 2005
Chock full of hops. Strong hop/floral aroma. I have never been a fan of I.P.A.ís Too bitter for my taste. Personally, this stuff made me choke. It looks really inviting., but it tastes bad. A good friend of mine who is an I.P.A. drinker thinks this stuff is great. So, there you go. Donít listen to me.