overall
RATINGS: 3919   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

mardermax (71) - santa cruz, California, USA - MAY 4, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2004 22 oz bottle: this beer is truly delish! i could drink it ALL DAY LONG. or until i passed out. milky frothy white hed, looks like fluffy clouds. the color is one of orange and gold combined. Smells of, um hops? This brew puckers my lips at first encounter, it's sticky, resiny, and pungent as a mofo. The mouthfeel is smooth and buttery, and slight malts too. i'm way into it. stone leaves you wanting more and more, tastes better everytime in my opinion.

ragesaq (71) - Arizona, USA - NOV 6, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2009 Classic American IPA Light and hoppy aroma belies what comes with your first sip. First impression makes you do a double take, glorious hoppiness. Very fresh tasting hops with hints of fruity sweetness. Thick refreshing finish focusing on the malty/floraly finish as the bitterness fades. Makes you want even more. Golden-orange appearance, finger amount of head that fades quickly.

Smacky (71) - San Clemente, California, USA - DEC 5, 2004
A wonderful IPA, strong, hoppy, golden, and drinkable. This is ruinations tough little brother. The beer is like a sunrise on a day after a rain, bright, goldenrod, majestic. The hoppy nose is a near-perfect compliment to the lemony-grapefruity aromas that waft from a freshly-poured 22. I am a believer in drinking all good beer from a large-mouthed Belgian beer glass, and to truly appreciate this beer, you need to first inhale its essence. But that only barely prepares you for the oral assault you experience when this hop-bomb touches your tongue. Almost sweet in its balanced maltiness, this IPA is very nearly the avatar of its genre.

asmithbeer (71) - California, USA - DEC 30, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2007 Cloudy golden color with little head. Aroma is sour and hoppy. Flavor is pretty hoppy and bitter. Great IPA.

Dsnutz (71) - dallas, Texas, USA - FEB 7, 2007
Stone brewery has impressed me yet again. It pours a dark amber color with a thin white head. This is a great value for such a good IPA.

rowefam3 (70) - kendallville, Indiana, USA - MAR 1, 2008
This has to be the most overated beer I have ever tasted. Almost no aroma. Looks not much different from a Bud. No body to speak of. Just some late bitterness. That’s all. I’m thinking that people must really love the bottle or thay havn’t had many other choices.

JW32Hoops (70) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 12, 2010
22oz poured into a pint glass. Color is a beautiful translucent light copper with an unassuming off white head. Hits the palate as if it were my tastebud g-spot, just hard enough. Piney with some subtle herbal and even more subtle citrius hops. Aftertaste is hops with just the right amount of bitterness. Aroma is slightly floral piney hops with a dash of hops. Hops. What can you say that hasn’t already been said about Stone IPA, the king, the quintessential IPA, the baseline standard by which all other IPA’s are to be judged. I am a complete and total IPA addict and it was Stone that irst got me into IPA’s when I moved to California. Since then, I’ve broadened my IPA horizons and my palate is a bit more mature. Still, you can never go wrong with Stone IPA. So simple, but maybe that is what makes it great. When I think of hops, I think of Stone. When I think IPA, I think of Stone.

neontb (70) - - FEB 16, 2013
Oh man. Here we go. Its rumble time. Im pouring six IPA’s tonight, into two identical tulip glasses so I can compare, with this one going head to head with Two Hearted Ale by Bells. The two american IPA’s, both with 100/100 on ratebeer. Damn, this ought to be fun. Stone is No 2/6, Two hearted, no 3/6. This one went head to head with Titan IPA earlier and this was the conclusion: Titan is livelier than stone, stone has more of a malty background while titan is a bit more hop forward, but really tough call. Both are epic. Stone wins on aroma, really nice floral and citrus hop, but titan wins on taste. Both cases barely. As much as it pains me to say so I call a tie. You cant go wrong with either of these. But time for the rumble. Bottle pours on each into identical tulips. Aroma of stone is nice and floral, but Two hearted wins the category. Dont get me wrong, the citrus and glorious honey and hop aroma of stone is great but it has to go up against the two hearted, and two hearteds balanced hop aroma wins. In taste Stone IPA is more hoppy, citrus and floral, but Two hearted is more balanced. Two hearted though just is so unbelievably smooth with all the citrus hops coming through still that I have to give it the category. Two hearted’s finish is better as well. Im calling it for Two hearted here. Both are epic, but in a battle of heavyweights the two hearted wins. On to the next!

SFtaster (70) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 30, 2013
Not a huge fan of the style; but if I had to choose one, this would be in my top 5 (along with Lagunitas, Russian River, Victory, and Ninkasi). Pours nicely from 12 oz bottle with golden body, citrus aromas, and pillowy head. As advertised, the beer is aggressively hopped to deliver ample citrus notes and tangy a flavor profile. The genius is that Stone’s version is not overwhelmingly bitter as many ’unsophisticated’ IPA’s tend to be.

sammyboyy (70) - Shawinigan, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 15, 2015
Excellente IPA pour ceux qui aime le style très tranchant et belle amertume. Très bien équilibrée. Belle arôme. On sent plus que bien les 90 IBUs. J’ai adoré cette IPA, un classique.