overall
RATINGS: 4127   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

mzaar (3463) - Varberg, SWEDEN - FEB 4, 2012
Ovanpå den orange ölen vilar ett livligt skum och dofterna från glaset är rent sköna av apelsin, rosenvatten och örter. De beska smakerna i munnen finns kvar länge, och där finns apelsinskal och knäckebröd. Riktigt god.

Voodoo (668) - Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 26, 2012
Poured with a chill haze.....it also had some bits floating about, perhaps conditioning yeast which had become unattatched. The smell was pure brewery, it had a true malty aroma with heavy hops presence. A heavy mouthfeel which sat on the tongue and a taste complementing the aroma with high malt and a thick but subdued hops taste which is in full balance. Excellent, but for the chill haze.

quiznoaz (309) - Arizona, USA - MAR 7, 2012
Its like grapefruit, except its beer. I remember years ago, when I couldn’t stand IPAs, and this was horribly bitter. Interestingly, now I taste mostly grapefruit (and less of the grapefruit-pine blend I tend to like most in IPAs now). This actually tastes more oaky than piney. And, needless to say, I now like it. Thank you for corrupting me, Holy and Jerry (not related to any Jerry who rates beer on here).

larryLSB (533) - La Selva Beach, California, USA - MAR 10, 2012
Poured from 12 oz, blind tasted with FW Union Jack.. Golden color,, a bit hazy, medium off white head. Nose was malty, with floral overtones, taste was bitter, with just a hint of sweetness. Medium bodied with an oily texture. Nice overall. but UJ was a step up in my opinion.

rollinsr (748) - Atlanta, GEORGIA - MAR 30, 2012
Pours a cloudy yellow with a nice orange hue, barely any head. Aroma is piney-tart citrus with some sweet (cascade) hints. Taste is initially a strong bitter bite but quickly tapers off and some of the sweet malts shine through and then finishes with still a bit of the bitterness left on the palate. A bit too bitter for me but this is a great choice if you like a nice and bitter IPA.

ThisWangsChung (836) - Leonardtown, Maryland, USA - APR 9, 2012
UPDATED: APR 7, 2013 Re-review from 3/16 ^_^ 12 oz bottle poured into a regular glass. A: Pours a faintly hazy golden amber color. The head is a two finger offwhite shade that retains itself nicely. S: Not really my bag here. It’s mostly some earthy dankness, pine cone, mild grapefruit, with a bit of augmenting caramel malt. I prefer big tropical fruit bomb aromas, so it’s not the fault of the brew itself. T: Better than I remembered. The initial flavor is pleasant grapefruit, before giving way to a bitter, dry piny finish. Malts are only vaguely evident throughout. Quite good, even great. M: Dry and astringent - bitter, too. There’s nothing balanced or delicate about the mouthfeel, but it gives the beer impressive drinkability in conjunction with the lighter texture and moderate carbonation. Still, it would be even better if the bitter dryness didn’t fatigue the palate so badly. O: I keep writing off Stone, and there are many occasions when I’m right in doing so. This one, though, I’m thankful I revisited. I wouldn’t quite make it a go-to - there’s far too big of a risk of getting a stale bottle here on the right coast - but I would revisit this on tap, easily. A good "palate wrecker" IPA.

GandGKevin (934) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - APR 17, 2012
Citrusy hop aromas. Citrus fruity hop flavors with sweet malt backing. Overall a very good IPA.

banbeernot (39) - Washington DC, USA - APR 18, 2012
UPDATED: JUN 8, 2012 Hop floral aroma. Pours misty golden color. Medium palate with hop and malt taste. Has a delicious factor in it. Very good balance. Smooth finish.

aleph (231) - - APR 24, 2012
Bottles and draught @ PETCO Park, I think. Golden orange with white head. Pine and citrus hops, grassy notes. Simple. Bitter, of course, and decent body. One of my favorite IPAs, prime west coast.

beerme31 (685) - Holly Springs, North Carolina, USA - MAY 14, 2012
Bottle. Pours hazy golden medium white head. Floral, citrus, pine. Mild sweet citrus taste. Medium body, average carbonation, medium bitter finish. Very good IPA.