overall
RATINGS: 3946   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

ganache (6069) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 23, 2007
Bottle. Huge rush of sweet hops - grapefruit and lychee, light citrus with wood and peach. Golden pour witha a clingy tan head. Hoppy taste with a hearty caramel malt background, bready and biscuity with mild-medium bitterness and just a touch of alcohol squeezing through. Dry and hoppy, but again, not over-the-top. Slight note of yeast. Medium body and made for volume drinking. Really well balanced for an IPA, with a stinging floral/spicy overtone. Not as earth-shattering as it would have been, say, five years ago, but this is still superb everyday stuff.

lampeno420 (320) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - JUL 22, 2007
HOLY CRAP! as soon as i opened this thing i got a huge smell, before i could get it in the glass. once i got it in and got a taste, it almost knocked me back. huge hops like the bottle claims. very filling and the bitterness stays right through to the end. i might have a new favorite brewery.

bbp182 (255) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 22, 2007
This is a near perfect IPA. Wow, it’s amazing, I love the bitterness in it, the aroma is amazing and the after taste is just awesome. Next time, I’m getting the 6 pack of it. I sampled the 22oz. It was great none-the-less.

Gr0ve (2176) - Oslo, NORWAY - JUL 22, 2007
Draught at d.b.a. Glowing orange colour. Slight haze. Small white head that clings to the glass. Orangey and citrusy hops and malt aroma. Piney notes. Soft hop bitterness, then a good solid malt flavour. Apricoty finish.

degrassi (30) - cypress, California, USA - JUL 21, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 22, 2007 The first time i had this beer I was at a park and didn’t have a bottle opener. I popped the top using the side of my car and it started shooting out so naturally I put my mouth at the end of the bottle to waste as little as possible. As I began to chug, I realized I had a new favorite beer.

wetherel (1894) - Cupertino, California, USA - JUL 21, 2007
Tried on tap at the brewery in one of those tiny taster glasses after going to the tour. The tour is great! 2 finger small bubble head of medium duration. (Perfect for me is a 1 finger head of long duration) . Yellow color. Wonderful hoppy aroma that sticks to your tongue and hangs out for a while. It’s great to try IPAs super fresh like this one. Bitter, but in a good summer refreshing way. Drinkability fades with time. My favorite of the tasting.

jkoch (50) - USA - JUL 20, 2007
22 ounce bottle. Pours an orangeish gold with a decent head. Citrus and piney aroma. Flavor is not well-balanced though. All I taste is the hops, with a very bitter finish. This beer is very highly rated though, so I will have to give it another try.

nightrider (754) - encinitas, California, USA - JUL 20, 2007
On tap in Del Mar.Beautiful thick white head with perfect lacing. Nice citrus hoppy aromas.Smooth and bitter on the palate. Not over the top hops with a smooth easy finsh.

TheJoseph (5) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 19, 2007 does not count
I don’t think there’s anything I can say about this brew that hasn’t been said. It’s one of my favorites and is absolutely delicious and complex, yet accessible for those with a weaker palate. I love amarillo hops and this beer is chock full of them. Easily my favorite IPA at the moment.

psbrewlvr (15) - Palm Springs, California, USA - JUL 19, 2007
Prob my favortie IPA due to the fact there is stuff in there other than a mouthfull of hops, Nice different malts hops and slight yeasty character. kind of fruity too. Greast BREW!!!!~