overall
RATINGS: 3975   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

MilkmanDan (1942) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - MAR 23, 2002
UPDATED: APR 8, 2004 Wow wow. Massive flowery, hoppy nose. Lovely creamy texture. Big, fruity hops, plenty of lemon and orange. Love the massively hoppy aftertaste. Glorious IPA.

MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - MAR 17, 2002
Well, I didn't hate this beer, but it definitely wasn't my favorite IPA.....

Volgon (2761) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 13, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2004 22OZ bottle: There is a super amount of cascade hops that is put against a strong malt backbone. A new #1 IPA in my book. Too bad I can’t buy this where I live, but thank goodness for VintageCellar.com.

TAR (2802) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - MAR 13, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2006 Draft: First beer from this keg. dense and creamy head that is very sticky. aroma is floral, citric, touch of caramel, sweet, kind nuggets, nutty, pine sap. flavors of ripe oranges. like biting into a ripe, juicy orange, hop burp...something i hadn’t had in a beer before this. palate is very round and soft, juicy, extremely fresh and refreshing, yet very complex.

DamnGoodBeer99 (13) - Shingle Springs, California, USA - MAR 5, 2002
I had just decided earlier that IPA's available in 12 oz bottles were probably dominated by the great tasting Bridgeport and Big Daddy (Speakeasy). Then, I had Stones IPA.Great Stuff from the first to the last sip and a 'Hop' saturation that I found very satisfying. I also liked not being able to single out the alcohol (like some other hopped-up Ipa's and Double Ipa's). I'd actually give this a '20' but then I'd probably never buy any other. Even the bottle looked cool. Congratulations Stone, on a terrific IPA.

msutequilaman (84) - Troy, Michigan, USA - MAR 3, 2002
Wow. Good stuff. Cloudy caramel color. Very hoppy, without any bitterness. I smelled and tasted sweet oranges and other citrus. I'm a big fan of IPA, and this may be the best I have tasted. Bravo! I think I'll have another.

bbooth (115) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - FEB 27, 2002
This is my favorite IPA so far. Great hoppy flavor and aroma without the bitter aftertaste. A must try if you are an IPA fan.

BillKismet (4170) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 24, 2002
Modest orange in appearance with a frothy head topping this blissfully hop-aromed beer. A label on the beer states 'nothing but barley, hops, yeast, and water'--what could be more simple?--Is this really all it takes to make a great beer--then why haven't more brewers caught on?! Relatively smooth hoppiness that saturates all parts of the mouth, leaving a pleasant, but slightly metallic, hop aftertaste. A wonderful all-around IPA with well balanced hopping. One of the best.

AleAvenger99 (1) - USA - FEB 21, 2002 does not count
Inconsistent, oxidized notes, lacks complexity and balance..................

TChrome (1481) - North Richland Hills, Texas, USA - FEB 21, 2002
Excellent. Best brew I've tasted since Harpoon IPA, maybe better. Very hoppy. No bitter aftertaste. Highly recommended.