overall

RATINGS: 595   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Life is extraordinarily precious, joyous...and fragile. At Stone, we recently were reminded of this when we lost our dear friend and coworker, Matt Courtright. We felt that there was no better way to share with the world what an extraordinary person he was than by brewing this beer he created. Rather than a somber momento, please think of this as a celebration of Matt. We do. We can’t contemplate it any other way. Matt was by no means a shrinking violet. Quite the contrary. He was exuberant, courageous, outwardly positive, and the type of stalwart friend everybody who knew him was happy to have in their corner. Matt’s smile and voluminous laugh were infectious mainstays around the brewery. He was larger than life in every way...and he was without a doubt an incredible brewer.

Everyone at Stone recognized Matt’s prowess and passion for brewing. He loved to explore what-ifs and why-nots. He crafted the beer you hold in your hands, which he conceived with Stone friend and colleague, Brian Bishop. Burning Rosids is a Belgian-style saison incorporating a unique ingredient-cherrywood smoked malt (the name references the rosid plant family from which cherry trees hail).

Brian and Matt’s many devoting brewing comrades here at Stone were proud to hoist this mash paddles and brew this recipe for him as a symbolic gesture of how much he meant to everyone and how immensely he is missed. When you enjoy this very special beer, please join all of us in raising your glass in Matt’s memory and to everything he so passionately stood for: contributing and caring for others, passion and skill for his art, and laugther. Lots of laughter. Among the list of things he held dear was GoDesignInc.org, a charity committed to fulfilling the architectural needs of developing communities around the world, and we are proudly contributing funds earned through the sale of this beer to this worthy organization in Matt’s honor. Enjoy, and please remember that life and those we hold dear are precious gifts to be cherised every day. Consider sharing this beer, conversations on life’s passions and, again, lots of laughter, with good friends as we remember ours.

closey22 (1946) - Mt. Laurel, New Jersey, USA - FEB 14, 2014
Golden with lacy offwhite head; aroma is sweet and yeasty; Flava is very rich smoky and fruity sweet; feels medium and silky; finishes malty dry and bitter

JohnGalt1 (1721) - Boise, Idaho, USA - FEB 13, 2014
UPDATED: FEB 14, 2014 Had this in the fridge for a few weeks.... decided to give it a go tonight... Poured into my HotD tulip... slightly hazed golden with a decent white head that leaves spotty lacing. The aroma is a bit lighter than I was expecting... but when I get a good read it is apple juice/pear cider and sweet wood smoke.. I guess that jives, but I wasn’t expecting it to be so clear and also one dimensional... a bit of clovey phenol with warmth so rises sharp EtOH vapors. The smoke really blooms on the palate, but still jives with what the nose tells us... pretty big-boned estery/stone fruit... plenty of fruitiness but a pretty sharp clove bite seems IMO out of place.. Saison? Not what I would picture, but maybe a BSPA? Smoke essence combines with the phenols and get a bit "bandaid" for my liking... Boozy. Seems too heavy on the palate to be a saison... perhaps a big-boned BSPA, but even then I don’t care for the brew too much. Nothing but respect and my hope for peace for Matt’s family and friends.

topherh (1928) - Kearney, Missouri, USA - FEB 13, 2014
Pours golden, eggshell head. Aroma is clove, smoke, spice, and bananas. Flavor is sweet malt, spice, smoke, and light cherry. Smoke lingers in the finish.

Bule (2164) - California, USA - FEB 13, 2014
On Tap at Taps in Petaluma. Pours a pale straw color without any head. Citrusy flavors, mild belgian yeast. Higher alcohol not noticeable.

mdindy (38) - Weymouth, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 13, 2014
color is nice clear copper tint with white head and doughy aroma. strong flavors of cherry and spices, boozy/alcohol undertones. heavy malts, yeast and thick smokey taste. definitely a slow sipping beer. very strong for a saison, great beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Mittenator (1612) - Michigan, USA - FEB 13, 2014
Draft at taps 25. Light gold with an off white head. Light cherry and funk in the aroma. Smoke, yeast and funk with a cherry aftertaste.

LilBeerDoctor (3931) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 12, 2014
Bottle. Pours a clear orange with a thin white head. Aroma of sweet malt, floral perfume, light booze, dark fruits, cherry. Flavor of salt initially and a little wood, then the cherry sweetness, light spices, sweet malt. Very powerful and a bit sweet. Interesting though. 7/4/7/3/13 (3.4/5)

Concealer (1247) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 12, 2014
Bomber. Orange gold with a frothy off white head that lasts on the sides. Aromas of spice, clove, light banana, light floral and smoke. Flavor is sweet spice and smoke, light banana and clove with some yeast. Medium bodied, lingering spicy smoke.

unclemattie (4358) - Georgia, USA - FEB 12, 2014
22oz bottle. The label grabbed my attention, we share a name. After u got the bottle home, it crushed me. I remember reading the story. I live in the eastern time zone. I read about the tragic event at the brewery. I remembered how horrible the story was. Orange color. Aroma of pale grain, yeast, smoked wood, and distant apple. Thick, heavy bodied. Strong too. Flavor is dry, sharp bitterness, pale malts, long lasting fruity esters. Lingering bitterness in the palate, fruit esters stick around for a while. Hints of smoked malt in the finish as well. Whoa, that?s a big Saison! (3969)

Ed5388 (3480) - Forked River, New Jersey, USA - FEB 12, 2014
22oz bomber from Crossroads Spirits. Pours a hazy golden orange color with a small foamy off white head. Aroma of light funk, sour lemons, barnyard, grass, and a hint of smoke. Taste of grapefruit skins, sour citrus, grass, and smoked malt.