overall
RATINGS: 2224   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Arrogant Bastard Aged with oak chips.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
grimreeser (797) - Minnesota, USA - OCT 27, 2007
Pours dark brown with good sized head. aroma is oak, pine, citrus, and caramel. Good, but the oak takes over a little too much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Wulfstan (509) - California, USA - OCT 25, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2007 I had high hopes for this since I love the regular Arrogant Bastard. However, having just tried it, and comparing the two closely, I am quite disappointed. Compared to the regular, this colour is about the same but its more murky & still, rather than clear & sparkly. The head is the same except that it is thicker and stays thick much longer. It has a fuller body and richer more oily mouthfeel, with more caramel and body in the aroma and flavour. The aroma also has a decidedly dusty element that hints at wood. So far so good, but aside from the caramel, the malt is more subdued and the hops become less flowery but significantly more bitter and astringent. I am not remotely, as I have mentioned in other reviews, a hophad in the sense that I dont like beers emphasising hops over all else (I hate IPAs, etc.), but I love really hoppy beers if they have sufficient malt, body, sweetness, etc., to balance this out. The original Arrogant Bastard achieves this superbly: the powerful hop element is wondefully balanced with malt, etc. Here, however, the hops just start to take over. Its still good and has lots of great flavour, but I will stick with the original.

beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - OCT 24, 2007
This bottle poured out a strong caramel brown and pretty much stayed that way. Sitting with a murky tone of dark peachy brown mud. Very slender capping of softly lit brown foam. Carries with it lots of broken sheeting lace as its consumed. Aroma is evidenlty warmed with a slight oak tinge over lots of caramel malt, piney, orange citrus hops, and some floral dryness. Taste is about the same really. Malty large with lots of caramel, some toasty factions reside in the edgings as it finishes. Has lots of balanced but broading hops that are feverishly orangeified and piney. Slightly lemony and tainted tangerine burntness. Its a mouth full of stuff and has just an inkling of oakyness hinted in the heat within. Not bad, but somehow different from what I remember when experiencing it at tap a few summers ago while in San Diego. Body is about medium to closing in on full, has a bit of break to it near the middle and really has an ever changing presence to it. This was a wild ride to say the least. Perhaps this was bottled from the bottom of the batch? This seemed somehow out of place. I remember this beer kicking my ass with much more depth, malt, and stickyness when having it tap. Anyways, I have another bottle that I will try later on and see if there is a difference. But as this bottle went, it was a solid representation of a Stone brew, yet didnt happen to get anymore wowness then expected out of it from my first on-tap experience.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
shakespeare33 (203) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 23, 2007
12oz bottle. I havent had the original so I cant compare. The aroma is subtle nothing too heavy and the pour is a darker amber with a off white head. The taste is definitely oak with a bitter overtone. Creamy and heavy and quite frankly more than I am looking for but it definitely stakes its claim as a STRONG ALE.. The flavors collide in my mouth at the same time... not bad but........

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
harmfuldrunk (288) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 23, 2007
making out with a tree jajaja. wow I actually like this the regular arrogant bastard is blown away by this sexy beer, the oak goes a long way subtling the hops to a managble level of refreshment , one of my new favs on the west coast since most other beers here are crap and hard to get. this offering from stone is everywheer. I cant remember the last time i had a regulaar bastard but this one looks very nice big frothy head, idk this one is a very enjyable beer nice piney sweet aroma too I LIKKKKEEEEEEEE

ShawnMalloy (130) - Auburn, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 23, 2007
It really tastes like youre making out with a tree. I probably will be after a couple more of these. Cheers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
riversideAK (6229) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - OCT 23, 2007
Aroma is Arrogant Bastard Ale with a pronounced oakiness. Oaky upfront with afformentioned AB taste and a nice bitter yet subdued finish. It does seem a bit more smooth in the finish than the original. I liked it more, thats for sure.

mribm (460) - Ocala, Florida, USA - OCT 23, 2007
To me this tasted like the regular Arrogant Bastard (which is good) with just a touch of oak. I was hoping for more oak, however the hops seemed to overpower any oak that was present. It was a good beer, as are all Stone Brewing Company beers, however I wanted more oak. By the way...this sure beats Beechwood aging!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - OCT 21, 2007
I enjoyed this more than the original. The oak chips might make it more arrogant, definitely more pretentious. First time I ever saw this in 12 ozers. Before this, only in 3 Ls. Started out with the overly strong hoppiness of the one and only. But, as you drink it, it seems to mellow a little bit and tastes of vanilla. Creamy. This was delicious. Even though the bottle didnt think I could handle it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - OCT 20, 2007
12 oz. bottle. Pours reddish brown with decent-sized ivory head and good lacing. I must say I dont care for the aroma-- candied pineapple, acorns, and an alcoholic spiciness; they just dont seem to meld very well to me. I get much the same sensations in the flavor, but it seems to work a little better. Pineapple and pine hit right off, then some malt and vanilla. A mild oakiness comes in in the finish. Not bad altogether.