overall
RATINGS: 2175   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Arrogant Bastard Aged with oak chips.

kyzr (1607) - Montana, USA - OCT 30, 2007
Amber pour with off-white head. Hoppy nose with hints of vanilla and malt. Flavor was not what I was expecting. I know its been awhile since I had a regular bastard, but this was a much more mellow version with a lot of wood. Yes, there are hops, but they are so toned down that they are almost lost. I really just had that too much wood flavor to really enjoy it. With a really thick mouthfeel, the finish was just a syrup wood texture.

CelticBrew (912) - The Crystal Coast, North Carolina, USA - OCT 30, 2007
Poured somewhat ruby red, very hazy forming off white foamy head. Aroma of malts, hops, vanillas, wet forrest. Flavor was smooth, full bodied ale. Notes of oak flavour, slightly alcoholic tones come through. Compared to the original AB brew, this falls short. However it is still a very good beer.

User29624 (1687) - - OCT 29, 2007
Pours with a thick head that doesn’t seem to go away. Full of flavor and the wood taste finally came through after a couple of sips for me. Glad I can get these in 6 packs. Another solid stone brew.

Braudog (6900) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - OCT 28, 2007
Small bottle -- Poured with a rich, shiny reddish brown color and a big head of fomay bubbles. The aroma is thick and strong -- what else would you expect. The beer drinks with the thickness of motor oil, slimy and slicky, with a strong vanilla essence. I’m no chemist and barely a brewer, but am amazed at how the Bastard "mellows" in this scenario. Oh, to be sure, it’s a monster brew. But the aggressive bite of the regular Bastard isn’t present, instead traded for the thick and rich syrup of this version. Quite delicious. (#3163, 10/28/2007)

grimreeser (797) - Minnesota, USA - OCT 27, 2007
Pours dark brown with good sized head. aroma is oak, pine, citrus, and caramel. Good, but the oak takes over a little too much.

Wulfstan (509) - California, USA - OCT 25, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2007 I had high hopes for this since I love the regular Arrogant Bastard. However, having just tried it, and comparing the two closely, I am quite disappointed. Compared to the regular, this colour is about the same but it’s more murky & still, rather than clear & sparkly. The head is the same except that it is thicker and stays thick much longer. It has a fuller body and richer more oily mouthfeel, with more caramel and body in the aroma and flavour. The aroma also has a decidedly dusty element that hints at wood. So far so good, but aside from the caramel, the malt is more subdued and the hops become less flowery but significantly more bitter and astringent. I am not remotely, as I have mentioned in other reviews, a hophad in the sense that I don’t like beers emphasising hops over all else (I hate IPAs, etc.), but I love really hoppy beers if they have sufficient malt, body, sweetness, etc., to balance this out. The original Arrogant Bastard achieves this superbly: the powerful hop element is wondefully balanced with malt, etc. Here, however, the hops just start to take over. It’s still good and has lots of great flavour, but I will stick with the original.

beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - OCT 24, 2007
This bottle poured out a strong caramel brown and pretty much stayed that way. Sitting with a murky tone of dark peachy brown mud. Very slender capping of softly lit brown foam. Carries with it lots of broken sheeting lace as its consumed. Aroma is evidenlty warmed with a slight oak tinge over lots of caramel malt, piney, orange citrus hops, and some floral dryness. Taste is about the same really. Malty large with lots of caramel, some toasty factions reside in the edgings as it finishes. Has lots of balanced but broading hops that are feverishly orangeified and piney. Slightly lemony and tainted tangerine burntness. Its a mouth full of stuff and has just an inkling of oakyness hinted in the heat within. Not bad, but somehow different from what I remember when experiencing it at tap a few summers ago while in San Diego. Body is about medium to closing in on full, has a bit of break to it near the middle and really has an ever changing presence to it. This was a wild ride to say the least. Perhaps this was bottled from the bottom of the batch? This seemed somehow out of place. I remember this beer kicking my ass with much more depth, malt, and stickyness when having it tap. Anyways, I have another bottle that I will try later on and see if there is a difference. But as this bottle went, it was a solid representation of a Stone brew, yet didn’t happen to get anymore wowness then expected out of it from my first on-tap experience.

shakespeare33 (203) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 23, 2007
12oz bottle. I havent had the original so I cant compare. The aroma is subtle nothing too heavy and the pour is a darker amber with a off white head. The taste is definitely oak with a bitter overtone. Creamy and heavy and quite frankly more than I am looking for but it definitely stakes its claim as a STRONG ALE.. The flavors collide in my mouth at the same time... not bad but........

harmfuldrunk (288) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 23, 2007
making out with a tree jajaja. wow I actually like this the regular arrogant bastard is blown away by this sexy beer, the oak goes a long way subtling the hops to a managble level of refreshment , one of my new favs on the west coast since most other beers here are crap and hard to get. this offering from stone is everywheer. I cant remember the last time i had a regulaar bastard but this one looks very nice big frothy head, idk this one is a very enjyable beer nice piney sweet aroma too I LIKKKKEEEEEEEE

ShawnMalloy (131) - Auburn, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 23, 2007
It really tastes like you’re making out with a tree. I probably will be after a couple more of these. Cheers!