%>
overall

RATINGS: 1945   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.26%
A beautiful bold barley wine. Massive malt and hop notes. Silver Medal winner at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival in the Barley Wine category. Gold Medal winner at the 2002 World Beer Championships in the Barley Wine Category. Look for it in the first quarter of each new year. Can be cellared or enjoyed upon its release.

beerhandy (195) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 29, 2005
Nice light amber orange ,white head dissapears quickly leaving a slight film that the bubbles seek as I sip.Nice citrus hop aroma.Taste is sweet malt balanced with a lot of hops.. orange and grapefruit when you swallow.A little more refined than bigfoot

Quyntarious (33) - Ohio, USA - MAR 27, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2007 this is a nice change up from the double bastard I have been drinking. It’s a slightly more elegant beer with a pleasant thick mouth feel.

Hairofthedog (419) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 27, 2005
The aroma was nice w/ dark fermented fruit, citrus, and flowers. The flavor was a nice orange zest and grapefruit on the tail end w/ a slight hint of flowers and pine. The beer poured a brownish orange color w/ thick head and lacing. The mouthfeel was light and creamy. This is the ’04, but I also tried the ’05 and I didn’t like it as much. I gave it a 7,3,6,3,12.

hopscotch (11181) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - MAR 26, 2005
UPDATED: APR 3, 2007 Bottle... This beer rocks!... Crystal clear, orange ale with a fruity and malty nose with notes of butterscotch, toffee and caramelized pineapple. The flavor is mostly the same with additional undertones of alcohol and orange peel. Full-bodied and oily with lively carbonation. Lengthy, lightly bitter, sweet finish. Top notch brew!

DrunkenWeasel (224) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 20, 2005
Pours light amber with almost no head. A classic sweet barley smell to it, that is the trademark of this style. Intense sweet barley taste to an odd, but good bitter taste. A long lasting changing aftertaste going from bitter back to sweet. Another nice stone beer.

MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - MAR 19, 2005
2005 bottle. Deep amber, almost ruby color, thin white head, left good lacing on my glass. Aroma is incredibly complex, fruits, alcohol, malt, some gentle spices in there, my nose was glued to the rim of my glass. Flavor is bold, malt, hops, a very noticable alcohol bite, finish has a lot of oak and smoky flavors in it. A little too aggressive in my opinion, a little harsh, it didn’t have the sturdy palate to back it up (like say the Speedway, which I lauded for it’s bold flavor, but since these are different styles it’s apples and oranges). Mouthfeel is smooth, the alcohol really stands out along with the oak after each sip. Wish I could have tried the older vintages, but then again this beer was still quite a treat. A small step below the Old Numbskull and the Old Horizontal (two of the finest beers I’ve ever had, so that’s legit company to be in). Hoping that after aging a bit the flavor will be a little more rounded and less overwhelming, I’ll check back in 6 months or so. Also, drinking an entire bomber by yourself will get you feeling great, I can sense my writing ability decline with the level of the beer in the bottle.

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 19, 2005
UPDATED: APR 1, 2005 Note: This rating is for the 2005 Old Guardian, less than two weeks after retail distribution transcribed from a hardcopy tasting log....Deep golden color, nice foamy white head with decent retention. Sharp hop notes in aroma contend with a deep malty sweetness. Heavy body, syrupy mouthfeel of an infant barleywine. Hop character in the flavor rather tangy and citrus-like, segregated from the cloying sweetness of the malt. Very young, I await tasting at the 6 month and 1 year mark, as the hop and malt flavors should meld to a greater extent. In true Stone fashion, it is big character (as if a true barleywine couldn’t be) with an intention to create an equilibrium of assertive ingredients. I will update my rating entry with subsequent tasting.

JDUB (178) - Venice Beach, California, USA - MAR 19, 2005
This rating went up 3% in the last 5 hours. But looking at the posts, no one has posted anything since Feb.20- its now March 19th. Isn’t that wierd? How does it work. So that’s what I was thinking, and then I noticed I was on the 2003 and before section. So I was totally wrong... It all works fine.

dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - MAR 18, 2005
2005. Aroma of butterscotch, toffee, pinepple, watermelon, tangerine. Appears orange-reddish-brown with good clarity, slight and slow effervescence of small bubbles, and a little frothy wisp of a cream-colored head. Flavor starts suprisingly bitter and hoppy, but quickly gives way to a raisins and molasses; its way out of balance right now, but age will mellow the hops and this should be super in years to come. Palate is appropriately chewy with slight bubbliness. Overall, this beer is greater than the sum of its parts; and I expect it to come into its own in the future.

nmoskop (79) - Arizona, USA - MAR 17, 2005
Limited winter ’04 release, 10.06% alc...evidently they vary. This is the second barleywine I’ve tried and they seem to keep getting better. Caramel, citrus, and malt maybe roasted malt flavor with a surprising dry hop finish. Medium white head with a caramel hop aroma. I’d love to try it on tap some day, maybe my next trip to San Diego. Anywho, great beer...It’s really starting to kick in now so I’ll enjoy what’s left of it.