overall

RATINGS: 1945   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.26%
A beautiful bold barley wine. Massive malt and hop notes. Silver Medal winner at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival in the Barley Wine category. Gold Medal winner at the 2002 World Beer Championships in the Barley Wine Category. Look for it in the first quarter of each new year. Can be cellared or enjoyed upon its release.

qdog (201) - Cleveland, Mississippi, USA - OCT 16, 2004
bottle. amber color, small white head with minimal lacing. very malty smell and taste with a strong alcohol flavor.

jlieber17 (201) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 25, 2011
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2012 22 oz bottle. Pours rubywith off-white foamy head. Initial aroma of honey, sugar, dark fruits; booze as it warms. Taste evolves nicely as it warms: a very bitter sweetness to a malty sweetness (caramel, vanilla, wood, alcohol, dark fruits). Very sticky mouthfeel. Quite dry with a hint of bitter at the end.

ATOmemphis (200) - Franklin, Tennessee, USA - APR 9, 2006
Limited Early 2006 Release Poured a deep cloudy amber/red with orangish hues in the light. Where’d the head go? It was the most minimal and left me quickly but was a light cream, the little layer that was there. Smells like the Holidays. Delicious to the nose. Not overly yeasty or anything, its pleasant. Some great spices. A distinct alcoholic bite up front with beginning bitterness, but this was quite complex as it changed quickly in my mouth to a smooth texture with various fruits. I like this bad boy and its definately got the punch with 11 and change percent alcohol.

Andresvendsen (199) - - AUG 5, 2014
Ingen jättefavorit men den smakar rätt bra. Till det priset så hade jag önskat mer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

rmalloy (199) - los angeles, California, USA - MAY 7, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 14, 2009 re-rate: Had rated this higher. I like the beer, but I think it is too heavy with the hops and light on the malty candy flavors for the style. I prefer a thicker, more contemplative barley wine. This is a style I like a lot. I drink mostly wine, but this is why I like beer. The aroma is "noble." I don’t know what that means, but it’s the best way I can say to describe it. It’s a profound beer. The heavy maltiness is matched by hoppiness. There are no gimmicks. It’s not a game of how much hops can you put in--the more the better. This beer is perfectly balanced. It’s a bit more heavy than complex, but that’s a criticism of the style, not the beer.

surffisher (198) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 20, 2009
Early 2007 vintage 22 oz. bomber bottle. Pours cloudy peach-amber, with a small yellowish tan head that dissipates quickly but leaves some light lace when present. Sweet, malty, bready aroma with strong fruity esters (think apricot brandy). Flavor is still fairly hoppy, though now mostly bittering. Sweet, fruity, and boozy with some bready notes. Dry and warm on the finish. Medium full mouthfeel. Great, creamy palate with moderate very fine carbonation, and nice warmth in the finish. Real nice barleywine that has aged well.

luv2brew (196) - Chesterfield, Virginia, USA - MAR 8, 2007
’07 edtition. The pour was beautiful wtih a small fading white head. It was a light copper in color. The malt nose was there and it was strong. An almost perfect balance of hops and malt. An oak-like caramel flavor. These guys know what they are doing. I do get an off tastes at the end, and I can’t quite explain it. It almost taste like grass or fresh hay. But the alcohol is there but not in your face. This is green, but no worries, I have two more to cellar.

GaltScat (195) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 11, 2007
Opaque brown with a large head that laced the glass as it disappeared. Aroma of molasses, hops, malt, grain, and fruit. Flavor was wonderful; an amazing experience. Bitter on the palate, alcohol was apparent in the flavor and in the mouth. Before the aroma, I expected a standard "barley wine." Old Guardian, however, was much more rich, much more well balanced, much more provocative.

HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - FEB 4, 2005
2004 Vintage-I don’t think I’ve given many 10’s for flavor before, but this beer hit it for me. Just a nice, well hopped b-wine. I wish I had a few more to age and see how it matures. Next time I’ll buy a case. One of the best beers Stone makes.

beerhandy (195) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 29, 2005
Nice light amber orange ,white head dissapears quickly leaving a slight film that the bubbles seek as I sip.Nice citrus hop aroma.Taste is sweet malt balanced with a lot of hops.. orange and grapefruit when you swallow.A little more refined than bigfoot