Stone Old Guardian (Vintages through 2003)

overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Barley Wine
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 297   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 297   ABV: 9.91%
A beautiful bold barley wine. Massive malt and hop notes. Silver Medal winner at the 2000 Great American Beer Festival in the Barley Wine category. Gold Medal winner at the 2002 World Beer Championships in the Barley Wine Category. Look for it in the first quarter of each new year. Can be cellared or enjoyed upon its release.

LouisJizz (10) - trois-rivieres, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 16, 2013
C'est tellement une bonne biere! elle edt tres bien balancer entre l'amertume et le sucre. elle a une bon arriere gout floral. -- rated via 'Find A Beer' for Blackberry 10

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - MAR 20, 2003
2002 issue definately a favorite nice sweet hoppy malt aroma.Little to no head. Nice dark red color.taste is sweet hoppy with some hints of fruit hard to tell which kind but very pleasant a very full feel in the mouth kind of syrupy but not bad.after taste of raisin,maybe some plum.very well hidden alcohol nearly undetectable with the exception of that warm feel that it's giving me.This is a well worth it very well done brew and the best choice for my #250 in the brew list.

mcbeyond (104) - Newport Beach, California, USA - FEB 2, 2010
Early 2003 Edition. Pours a dark copper with minimal head. Complex nose with fresh apples, vanilla, demerara sugar, berries, and wine vinegar. Palate is incredibly fruity on apples, melon, baked pears, tangerine with peel, bread fresh out of the oven, dark chocolate--strong dark chocolate all the way through to the long, dynamic, caressing finish. Absolutely divine!

maxhits (172) - Pico Rivera, California, USA - MAR 19, 2002
Spring 2002 release, made with Tomahawk Hops: ALCOHOL - 9.91% by volume; COLOR - deep amber, red; Head - thin, but lingering; sticky, laces the glass; CARBONATION - light, but active; AROMA - Complex. Sweet, light caramel tones, pleasing aroma of maple sugar, toffee, hop flower, woody; FLAVOR - Sweet entry, then a wave of bitterness pulls in your cheeks. Does not finish as warm as I expected; FINISH - Long, woody, bitter-sweet finish. Better and more satisfying than the Double Arrogant Bastard.

lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - MAY 5, 2003
wow... probably my favorite beer at this moment in time, i even overlooked the Arrogant one for this brew! extremely drinkable, very sweet, malty, sharp and mellow to the tongue at the same time, extremely complex flavor, and very well balanced!

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 5, 2004
2002, sampled 11/27/03: Appearance: a burnt sienna hue, dark and fully opaque orange, with a big, bubbling, creamy head. Aroma: hugely hoppy, but still mellow, and thoroughly wel-integrated, which, we will see, is the theme of this brew, gentle, perfect, oh, me, oh, my, how everything fits together, warm, fruity (cherries, grapes), lively, complex, heavenly, and altogether well suited to itself. Taste: Oh! My! God! Fruity-flavored, and rich in every degree, malt-fortified, and hop-enriched, as with the best barleywines, they all do their part and make the perfect match, no ingredient or aspect sticking above any other. This is the very perfect picture of a barleywine, tingly, tasty, rich, delicious, an incredible combination of all the things that I love best, well-blended, well-appointed...could this get get any better? Oh, no! 2003:, sampled 5/19/03 I quote now directly, with some editorial invasion, from my notes on this sampling: Appearance: a tumultuous flood of color, that eventually settles down into a bright cherry red, with a head off-white, frothy, and fizzy. Aromatics: huge! complex, sweet, strong, alcoholic, cognac-like, flavors of rum, grapes, cherries, port...delirious...heavenly...candyish. An overload on the palate! A jolt, a direct transfusion! WOW! I’m reeling! Rich, delicious, fruity...I can’t begin to sort out the flavors, it’s too big and wild! 9.91%, eh! Hoo, baby! Hops are large and in charge, they’ve set up camp and begun occupation of all the sensory regions! A full-on head-charge here, ..it really is a perfect barleywine! I can go no further from here, it’s beddy-bye time. All previous allegiances are relinquished, it’s Stone O.G. Uber Alles! Flavor is large, generous, unstoppable! Despite the bitter cold of our winters here, this is the first time I’ve honestly felt the desire to be a Californian, in order to be closer to this brew! WOW! WOW! WOW! I may have been inebriated, and I’ll have to check on the legality of that allegiance thing (I still love you, Bell’s Old Ale!), but damned if this one didn’t didn’t knock me for a loop! Now, to get my hands on another just to be sure I really meant what I wrote......

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 16, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2003 07/10/02: Vintage 2001 Release: Deep amber or ruby red if you prefer, the head is large, frothy, the lace in sheets. Nose is malt, caramel, floral, a hint of bubble gum, maybe even a touch of butter. Front is sweet, the top is medium, the finish is acidic, dry, highly hopped and the alcohol leaves a bit of its bitterness on your palate, 'Damn what a great beer'. Seems every time I drink it I find something more that I like. <P> 09/16/02:Vintage Spring 2000 Release: A rusty nail looking thang! cloudy and rusty red the color, the head is frothy, beige, huge sheets of lace. Nose 'Oh Baby' Floral, fusel alcohol, brandyish, malts and caramel. Front is malt sweet, the top full, the finish is 'Hopped To The Max', alcohol bitter, acidic, dry, and what a 'Tummy Warmer' I stick by my high ratings, and raise you 'Weenies' a point.

03/07/03:Vintage Winter 2003 Release: Deep burnished copper on the pour, the head immense in size, spumescent in its texture, and a winsome light beige in color, as it evanesces, it leaves a thick glutinous sheet of lace welded to the glass. Big sweet malt nose, fusel alcohol, caramel, hints of the hop flower, a real treat for the schnozzle. Start is ambrosial, loaded with malt and the top peanut butter thick, and the finish spiteful in its carbonation, the hops prickly in their spicy bite. The aftertaste dry as a bleached desert bone, oh yes, almost forgot the “alcohol”, quite evident in its bitterness and “tummy warming”. Ah another great year of Old Guardian got a case aging away, but the chances of it lasting more than a year slight.

Brewmaster (168) - USA - MAR 10, 2002
Leave it to stone to produce such a fine brew once again. I agree with VA's referance to Bastard.(could be the use of all tomahawk hops this release) I'm glad i bought 6 of these while i had the chance, i'm just not sure how long i'll be able to hold on to them though.

SaveTheAles (5) - San Jose, California, USA - NOV 29, 2002 does not count
Spring 2002: Extremely pleasant toffee and caramel aromas dominate. Higher alcohol and more subdued hop aromas also evident. Pours very clear, medium copper, with nice head that laced the glass. Retention was very good for a barleywine. The flavor was quite balanced and the alcohol well-hidden. Unlike some barleywines, there was no harsh, higher alcohol flavors or cloying sweetness present. The hop bitterness perfectly cancels out the overwheleming malt sweetness found in some other barleywines, which is inappropriate for the style. Malt flavor is quite evident, with the hops providing a nice supporting role. Medium body,with warming alcohol and some lingering bitterness in the finish. This is a damn fine example of what a barleywine should be! To think that this is only going to get better with age boggles my mind. Buy a case of this stuff while you can. Stone better send some of this to the upcoming Barleywine Festival at The Toronado!

pivo (2685) - GERMANY - JAN 21, 2003
I’m changing my favorite style on RateBeer to barley wine. This stuff is just incredible. Strong nose with loads of alcohol. Dark ruby brown color and a low head – can I give a “6” for appearance? Complex taste that doesn’t stop giving: syrup, honey, dark fruits, brandy-like. Clear hop finish. Recalls Bigfoot at times, but not as bitter. Wonderful balance of hops and malt and alcohol. Would be great aged about 5 years. This is just a kick ass brew.