overall

RATINGS: 1678   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61/5   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Deep amber in color, Stone Pale Ale is robust and full flavored. A delicate hop aroma is complemented by a rich maltiness.

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - FEB 13, 2005
They never send this out East it seems, even though it is their "flagship" beer. So I drug a bottle back from California with me. Now I can see why they don’t bother sending it East. It just isn’t all that good. I went out of my way when rating this not to compare it to the rest of the unbelievable Stone line up, but this beer really just did nothing for me. Nice appearance though, deep copper with ruby, good head. Vaguely caramel aroma with bitter hops. In the mouth, the medium body is caramel, with a muddled, bitter hop finish. No particular hop flavors jumped out, just a basic astringency that didn’t even combine well with the caramel malt. Not so much.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - FEB 8, 2005
Molasses, caramel aroma with not much hops evident in the nose. Hazy amber body with an off-white head. Flavor is not hoppy at all. My buddy told me that when this brew was first released it was Stone’s hoppiest beer! No longer. Nice caramel flavor. The least remarkable brew I have had from Stone, but even though it could use a recipe change, still a solid beer.

Tmoney99 (15137) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 8, 2005
Tap. Deep amber color with medium white head. Great aroma of complex hops and sweet. Flavor was full and the finish was long and pleasent. I will be seeking out more of Stone brews.

mds (2256) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 5, 2005
bottle. rich hop aroma backed by lush sweet maltiness. orange-copper colour with a small white head and sheets of white lace. sharp hoppiness, soft biscuit malts. Long lingering bitter finish. A great thirst quencher. Damn you LCBO for not importing any Stone products.

jigglyjock (165) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - JAN 28, 2005
Pours an off honey color. Has a medium ambery tinted head that lasts for about a minute with little cratering. Aroma of malt, nitrous oxide, and a slight sourness. I was supprised by the taste of this highly acclaimed beer. It was not as good as everyone raves. It is an ordinary tasting pale ale. Mostly malty with a slight hop after taste; no unique aftertastes. If you want an origanal pale ale try Flying Dog’s or even Sierra Nevada’s.

NVBeer232 (467) - Reno, Nevada, USA - JAN 28, 2005
Orange color and a decently thick head that left nice lacing. Mild aromas of piney hops. Balanced flavors, with slightly bready malts and hops that have a bit of a citrusy (lemon?) touch. Decent, but not as good as Burning River or Denver Pale Ale, IMO.

brewblackhole (1587) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 28, 2005
Sort of a grainey yeast aroma, a nice blend of malt and hopbut not enough emphasis on hops for a pale ale and especially for a Stone product, nice enough but not great like Ruination or the IPA

giarcsr (104) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 15, 2005
The guy I drank this with described it as Sierra Nevada, only doubled and also said that this should be Stone’s IPA. In a way he’s right. This is totally a flavorful pale ale and to say it’s double Sierra Nevada is in my opinion, about right. As for the IPA remark this guy made, the only thing I will say is that I’ve had IPA’s that aren’t as hoppy as this beer is. Good example of a pale ale.

bu11zeye (13239) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - JAN 10, 2005
(Bottle) Pours an orangish-amber body witha large beige head. Hoppy aroma. Flavor of hops with a malty base. Bitter finish.

Dub85323 (9) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - DEC 22, 2004 does not count
This is a great pale ale. Fantastic hop aroma with a nice sweet malty finish. Luckily, I can get this about anywhere around my way in AZ. Life is good.