overall
RATINGS: 452   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
This collaboration beer is a celebration of the homebrewing spirit and an example of counter-intuitive thoughts coalescing beautifully into something exceptional. Case in point is the seamless marrying of toasted coconut and a hop bill brimming with tropical fruit notes. Longtime homebrewers Robert Masterson and Ryan Reschan teamed up to enter this beer in our annual American Homebrewers Association-sanctioned brewing competition and, though it was the first beer they’d ever brewed together, they sailed past the competition like a tropical ocean breeze on a pleasure cruise bound for India. After winning, the duo reached out to their friend, highly decorated homebrewer and 2011 AHA Ninkasi Award winner Paul Sangster of the newly opened Rip Current Brewing Company, to assist in dialing in the recipe. Together with Sangster’s skilled partner Guy Shobe and Stone Brewmaster Mitch Steele, Masterson and Reschan present fellow craft beer enthusiasts with a most delicious and original style of IPA. Open, enjoy, rest, relax and repeat as needed.

badpuppy69 (321) - orange, California, USA - AUG 11, 2013
UPDATED: AUG 13, 2013 Pours a copper color with a nice thick packed head. Aroma is slight coconut with Sweet malt and some Vanilla with a great tropical hop character. Taste follows the aroma well. Very smooth and has a epic malt backbone!! This beer is awesome!! This beer needs to be 100! Wtf! This beer is easily in my top 5 favorites.

JFParnell (70) - Washington, USA - AUG 1, 2013
A very good IPA. Does not have any of the characteristic grapefruit or bitter aftertaste that are inherent in IPA’s that I hate. The coconut helps smooth out the taste and gets rid of the bitter. The coconut is very subtle but noticeable.

Braudog (6719) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - SEP 5, 2013
Bottle for the NFL Kickoff. This is a sexy pour, pure sheen of amber and a sticky head. This gives off an amazing, resin-loaded hoppy aroma. This drinks with a big time woody bite, slippery smooth, loaded with sinewy chewiness. I’m amazed this is only 7.7%, it tastes much bigger. Wonderful stuff. Well done. (#5244, 9/5/2013)

uhclem (429) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - SEP 10, 2013
I saw "Coconut" in the name and almost passed it by. Then I saw that Stone was involved in the collaboration and snatched it up. Good thing, too. The lush aroma of pineapple and oranges with a bare hint of coconut assailed my nose. The taste was a finely crafted blend of sweet and tart with a malty backbone. Mouthfeel was sumptuous and the finish only needed the sound of ukuleles to achieve perfection. May this collaboration last forever!

ChadPolenz (1821) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - AUG 18, 2013
I poured a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. It had an "enjoy by" date of 10/23/13 and cost $8.99 ($0.41 per ounce).

Appearance: Nearly clear shade of light orange/dark gold. Plenty of visible carbonation. Forms an average-sized, eggshell, frothy head which retains and laces well.

Smell: Massive aromas of grapefruit, orange, passion fruit, mango, peach, etc.

Taste: One of my biggest pet peeves is when a beer doesn’t deliver on its advertised niche. So I probably should be annoyed by Stone R&R Coconut IPA since it seems to have an overt lack of coconut character. That being said, the beer itself is exactly what I love in an IPA: big, flavorful, juicy-type hops that don’t fatigue my palate. This a well-balanced, highly drinkable and deliciously flavorful beer.

Just like the nose, the palette begins with the aforementioned combination of tropical and stone fruits. They’re sweet, but genuine and authentically-flavored. Nothing artificial or candy-like here. There’s a consistent bitterness throughout; thoguh slightly dry, but I would not consider the beer to be dry per se. Supposedly 90 IBUs, but this drinks like something much more tame (60-70ish), with no dank, syrupy or arid character. I searched high and low for the coconut but really couldn’t find it. Perhaps it accounts for the smooth texture, not unlike lactose sugar, but actual coconut flavor seems to be either missing or just obscured by the base palate (and is the only reason I wouldn’t rate it a full 10). Regardless, this is exactly the kind of strong IPA I love to drink and is something I’d buy all the time if it were available.

Drinkability: The numbers would indicate that this is a beastly brew, but in fact, Stone R&R Coconut IPA is remarkably drinkable. Bold in flavor for sure, but in no way aggressive. The mouthfeel is slightly crisp, but not spastic, and it finishes smooth with a highly tolerable aftertaste. It takes full advantage of its 7.7% ABV weight, but at no point does it feel obese. Congratulations to my friend Ryan on co-brewing the homebrew that lead to this nationally-distributed beer!

zizzybalubba (1870) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 3, 2013
22 oz. bottle from SoHo Organic Market, Elizabeth City, NC. Dark orange pour with a frothy white head. Aroma of grapefruit, wet grass, and pine. Bitter hops are at the forefront of the flavor with obvious tastes of grapefruit rind and pine with more subtle pineapple and passion fruit. Long lasting bitterness on the palate. I was not sure what to expect from the name (maybe more of a pineapple flavored hop with some coconut would have been nice) but this is an in-your-face hop monster. From Stone I would not expect anything different and it is awesome!

MarinEvelyn (854) - Wisconsin, USA - SEP 25, 2013
Aroma is very hoppy and fruity. Moist and juicy. Very hoppy, smooth, fruity, grapefruit. A little bitter. A tad of toasted coconut at the end

beerbaaron (1998) - Arizona, USA - SEP 25, 2013
Clear, radiant orange amber with a medium, thick, creamy white head, fully lasting with thick lace. Aroma is sweet, juicy hops; citrus, orange, grapefruit, tropical fruit, good caramel/malt backing, maybe Im convincing myself but I also find some sticky coconut in there. Medium body. Creamy and some chewy stickiness. Great balance. Finish yields to the hops; grapefruit bitterness, but I also find toasted coconut as it warms. Delicious! Everything really comes together nicely..super smooth. Love the hop profile. I really like this alot.

GandGKevin (934) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - SEP 4, 2013
Not too much coconut but it is a very good ipa. Very citrusy with a little bitterness on the finish.

Lognar (33) - - SEP 30, 2013
(8/13/13) Pours nice, clear, and golden with a bit of white foam that fades quickly. The nose has a really pleasant coconut nuttiness along with a slightly sugary coconut milk-like sweetness on top of the IPA pine and florals. The coconut is definitely present, but not pina colada coconut like I think people were expecting. It’s moreso fresh, sweet coconut. However, the nose is bordering in pina colada sweetness at times. The taste is more IPA than the nose would let on. Whereas the nose was coconut forward, the taste is the bitter, piney, floral hops accented with the coconut sweetness. The coconut adds a milkiness to the texture - a smooth milkiness. The feel is nice and clean. This IPA goes down super easy. I was skeptical of this one along with many others, but I must say I loved this brew. The coconut added a lot to the nose. It’s not in your face coconut and I did not have to search for it. I think many people had expectations that they brought to this brew and where expecting some massive coconut bomb, but instead what Stone has given us is an IPA that is accented with coconut to give it a great aroma and texture. R&R Coconut IPA reminded me of FFF Apocalypse Cow in that both IPAs have this nice sweetness to them that compliments the IPA characteristics.