overall
RATINGS: 87   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Just as Patrick Henry once stood addressing the city of Richmond in 1775 to spur resistance against the tyrannical British Empire, 20 years ago we were stirred to join the cry for resistance against the tyrannical oppression of industrial beer. And now, the opening of our Richmond brewery is yet another shot in the salvo that has been fired on behalf of American brewing independence. If we wish to brew free, if we mean to retain our identity and preserve the privilege of access to independent craft beer, we must recognize it is a group effort. We do not stand alone. And so, on our new brewing grounds, we gathered with fellow craft breweries and “His Excellency,” Governor McAuliffe, to join together in force. A group cry of freedom & independence! Consider this aggressively hopped imperial IPA, jam-packed with Virginia raspberries and blackberries, a testament to our passion and unwillingness to settle or sell out! We think Patrick Henry would be proud, and hope you will be too.

ccex (1351) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 27, 2017
Bomber pours a hazy dark amber color with medium sized frothy beige head. Aroma has pine, roasted nuts, biscuit, brown sugar, and hardly any berries. Taste is almost sweet at first with bready malts dominant. I had to concentrate to discern any raspberry/blackberry juice briefly in the middle before a long dry and somewhat dank finish erased that flavor. Body is medium to full with slight carbonation and a sticky mouthfeel. Only the finish (and the label) led me to believe this was an IIPA - I would have guessed a Scotch Ale. This is one of the few times I’ve been disappointed in a brew by Stone. They didn’t really give me an IPA, but I won’t kill them for delivering one not quite as advertised.

Travlr (25846) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - MAR 27, 2017
Draft at Brawley. Clear amber brown color. Aroma of caramel and burnt pine. Taste is sweet burnt caramel resiny finish.

Gerbeer (3896) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 26, 2017
On tap. Pours a dark mahogany with moderate head. Aromas and flavors of pine and copper, sugary dark fruit, and bitter citrus. Over rated.

GenDV138 (7579) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - MAR 26, 2017
4 oz pour on draft at Spacebar. Clear dark amber with beige head. Aromas of citrus, floral notes, malt, biscuit. Tastes of malt, citrus, bitter notes, candied fruit, biscut and toasty notes. Medium body with a dry finish. Bitter. Like the stout, I don’t get the berries.

LinusStick (3497) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 26, 2017
Yuck. I hate fruited IPAs and I ordered this not knowing that’s what it was. Aroma was ok. Stale smelling hops and roasted malt. Pour was a dark clear burnt red with a thin off white film for a head. Taste was nice and bitter at first with the hops bordering on hot but that stupid berry flavor just muddled everything. Hint of sweetness in the finish that didn’t go well with the nice bitterness. Good carbonation

kassner (1686) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2017
brown cloudy with nice head and lacing. Fragrant but I can’t sense any berries. the taste however is exception quite nice and full mouth.ally bittered by the berry seed.

robforbes (2263) - Bremerton, Washington, USA - MAR 25, 2017
Pours a hazy mahogany with a medium size light tan head and great lacing. Smell is of malt, some citrus, hops, and some fruit. Taste is of hops, berries, malt, touch of citrus, and bark.

onceblind (10327) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 25, 2017
Dark hazy amberish color with a thin ivory cap. Brisk leafy resinous hop aroma right up front with a touch of rye and slight bready toast and gentle amberish toast malt. Brisk amber malt and bright leafy resinous and gentle piney bitterness flavor with a bitter earthy resinous hop body. Brisk and complex and hoppy but also with a amberish and slightly roasty undertone.

nickd717 (4841) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 24, 2017
Bottle. Hazy amber with a small white head. Caramel, grapefruit, raspberry, pine hop aroma. Flavor is medium sweet, nicely bitter, fruity, touch of tartness even. Medium bodied with average carbonation, somewhat crisp. Pretty nice.

andrewje41 (4169) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - MAR 19, 2017
Draft pour at Growler Guys, Lake City. Like no other IPA I’ve ever had before. Very much looked forward to this. Caramel copper.pour with a lasting fizz head. Malt forward aroma, though mild. Creamy, with an earthy malt and hop.combo, and way less than hoped.for and expected berry content. Bitter linger. Dusty malt. Odd, and less than amazed on this unique offering. A slight miss.