overall
RATINGS: 83   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Just as Patrick Henry once stood addressing the city of Richmond in 1775 to spur resistance against the tyrannical British Empire, 20 years ago we were stirred to join the cry for resistance against the tyrannical oppression of industrial beer. And now, the opening of our Richmond brewery is yet another shot in the salvo that has been fired on behalf of American brewing independence. If we wish to brew free, if we mean to retain our identity and preserve the privilege of access to independent craft beer, we must recognize it is a group effort. We do not stand alone. And so, on our new brewing grounds, we gathered with fellow craft breweries and “His Excellency,” Governor McAuliffe, to join together in force. A group cry of freedom & independence! Consider this aggressively hopped imperial IPA, jam-packed with Virginia raspberries and blackberries, a testament to our passion and unwillingness to settle or sell out! We think Patrick Henry would be proud, and hope you will be too.

douglas88 (9427) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 18, 2017
Bomber from Uptown. 8.75$. Pours a clear reddish color with a medium off-white head. A big fruity and malty nose. The flavor is caramel, light sweet and dusty berries, rich citrus hops dominate, some dank elements. This works really well. Reminds me a lot of Stone’s regular IPA. Funky, fruity. Great IPA.

jsporrer (1040) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2017
Pours a hazy dark caramel color with a light tan head. Malty aroma with some hints of fruit. Starts out crisp, lightly carbonated and slightly tangy. Fills the mouth with a hoppy Simcoe taste and a balanced malty base. Finishes smooth with a nice lingering light bitterness with hints of blackberries. Not harsh and hides the alcohol well. Pretty enjoyable.

bytemesis (8587) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - MAR 16, 2017
Bottle. Pours dark lightly hazy reddish amber, large creamy beige head, dissipates rather slowly with nice lacing. Aroma is pine, some citrus, hints of berry but surprisingly muted. Flavor is light plus sweet, medium bitter. Medium body. Interesting.

JPDIPSO (6238) - Wauwatosa, USA - MAR 15, 2017
Dark copper color with a smaller, dense head of taupe bubbles. Heavy lace. Sweet toasted malt aromas, with strong pine and very mild berries. Sweet start with pale malts and hints of rye. Somewhat prickly feel. Nice balancing bitterness that allow the berries to come back out in the finish. Even the linger has a bit more berry presence than I would have expected. Some spiciness, leads me to believe there might be some rye in the malt bill. Either way a tasty IIPA in my book. 2/17

Darwenus (1159) - Virginia, USA - MAR 15, 2017
I think this is a little better than the Stout "version" from the Richmond brewery, which also had the blackberries and the raspberries. Like this stout, this thing doesn’t play the berry card in a distinct way. It’s more of a typical Stone IPA. But IPAs are Stone’s thing, and this one is a fairly typical Stone IPA. Pours dark copper colored with a fair amount of foam and smells like floral and grassy hops with some malt and a hint of the berries. The flavor is a typical, big, bitter blast of hops, but the raspberries are there on the finish in a small, faint, slight, flirtatious way. I won’t go out of my way to get this again, but I enjoyed it.

Braudog (6763) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - MAR 15, 2017
Bottle. Dark brown color with a firm topping. There is a subtle flourish of dark berries in the nose. This drinks with a sturdy and viscous, richly woodsy, and fully built-up character profile. It’s hard to discern any berries in the taste, but they must provide some of the intensity. (#6535, 3/15/2017)

marcus (10349) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAR 14, 2017
Bottle from Cap Tap. Pours dark brown with a huge tan head and a berry aroma. There is a hearty mixed malt flavor with a fair amount of berry flavor. Hard to tell that this is an IPA, since it as rather dark. The berries seem to have added darkness, but not a lot of flavor.

jandd1983 (4390) - Wentzville, Missouri, USA - MAR 14, 2017
Bottle. It poured a brown color with a tan head. The aroma was of malts, berries and hops. The taste was similar to the aroma with more malts, berries, resin and hops. Tasty.

AWISLguy (3184) - Wisconsin, USA - MAR 13, 2017
On tap at Champps in Brookfield. The pour is reddish amber. The aroma is sweet malty with berries. The taste is sweet malty, some fruitiness. Medium bodied with some alcohol. The blend is decent. Finishes sweet malty. Shrug? Surprising from Stone. 13

beerbastard (844) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - MAR 12, 2017
Bomber pours cloudy Redish Brown. Aromas are a nice mix of hops and malts. No noticeable berries. Great flavors of strong hops balanced by a weak backbone of malts. The berries are subtle, with a slight appearance of tartness mixed with bold citrus. This is the way I like my dbl IPAs. I will get a few more of these while I’m waiting for the next release of Enjoy By. As the beer finishes it becomes more of a contest between malt sweetness and bitterness, which dominates.