overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3476   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

Beerdedone (3408) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 1, 2006
Bottle sampled with Stegosaurus. Pours copper with an off-white head. Aroma of citrus and hops. Flavor is citrus and Hops, i don’t care for an IPA but this isn’t bad.

RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 31, 2006
Not my favorite 2IPA but a solid effort by Stone. Lots of hop aroma, but the flavor profile just seems a bit flat. Not quite as good as their Smoked Porter and Imp Stout.

thebigreason (2) - Woodland, California, USA - MAY 30, 2006 does not count
Perfectly balanced Imperial/Double IPA. This is a big beer. You may need to be a hophead to really appreciate it, but the body and malts are there to back up the crushing blow of hops. My wife love this beer so much, we split a bottle every Friday after work. We’ve dubbed it Ruination Friday.

californiapete (9) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 29, 2006 does not count
While I cut my craft-beer teeth two decades ago on Sierra Nevada’s hoppy pale ale, I can’t really call myself a hophead by today’s rather ambitious standards. Thus, with a bias toward "balanced" beers rather than more extreme offerings, and with a lukewarm response to Stone’s Arrogant Bastard (which I find way too harshly bitter), I wasn’t very optimistic about Stone’s facefull-of-hops iconic DIPA. But man is this one outstanding beer! The hop aroma upon opening and pouring is indeed in your face. It’s an aroma I enjoy while brewing beer, but much like black pepper and vanilla when cooking, I’d rather it be tempered and blended with other ingredients when actually drinking beer. In other words, not unpleasant, just out of place. But that’s the last of my complaints. The bitterness is definitely pronounced, but the beer remains surprisingly drinkable. There are some really good sweet, biscuity malt undertones to this beer, as well as an appropriate amount of alcoholic warmth. Moreover, the longer one lingers over this beer, the more those malt aromas and flavors come through, making for an amazingly balanced beer (for something that claims -->100 IBUs) and a relatively drinkable one, too, at least for a beer of its strength. I’m still not much of a fan of Stone’s imagery (gargoyles, dare-you-to-drink-me marketing type/hype), but a great beer will always rise above its packaging.

rybowen (105) - Los Angeles 90039, California, USA - MAY 27, 2006
Incredible. This is what IPA should be. A big, badass, hop-smelling hairy bear of an IPA. Aromas of citrus, pine, flowers, and acetone with a stiff body and enough bitterness to keep you thirsty for more.

BuckeyeBoy (7968) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAY 26, 2006
22oz. bottle. Pours out a goldish color with a tall white head. A GREAT Aroma of HOPS. Very nice. Also some citrus. Very nice IPA

marvinpontiac (117) - Huntington Beach, California, USA - MAY 25, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2007 One of my absolute favorites. Rerating this because it has grown on me so much since I first tasted it a few years ago. Cheers to Stone!

schwaiger (90) - Laramie, Wyoming, USA - MAY 25, 2006
Bomber. Poured a nice gold color with a small, mostly lasting white head. Nice clarity. Super hop bomb-a-thon aroma, touching off notes of pine, citrus (orange), grass, and flowers. Some butter and honey. Initially quite bitter with flavors of pine and metal. Lightly sweet in the middle with some alcohol warmth, then the bitterness picks up speed again for a very long, dry finish. Velvety smooth, medium carbonation. Not my style, but I can appreciate this brew.

lordeche (479) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 24, 2006
Pours a brown-golden color with slightly tan head. Aroma is sweet, complimented by citrus and floral hops and sweet malt and roasty barley. Flavor is extremely well developed; I almost taste a hint of roasted soba in the finish. Orange and grapefruit shine through a roasty wheat backbone. Well balanced with a complex palate. A must try.

auerbrau (3203) - Ithaca, New York, USA - MAY 22, 2006
Julios Spring Beer Festival. Distant one dimensional Cascade aroma. It seems fairly unexciting at first. Pour of amber clearsih with a copious head of off ivory. Here come the hops. A crushing hop blow, with cloying fresh ruby red grapefruit, light tangerines, a good dose of Loblolly pine resin and smack of centennial. Very sweet and redolent with a plethora of lighter malt character. I feel this draws closer to a standard IPA, than a double. Needs more backbone, alcohol and heft for a double. But, the hop character in this beer is well built and the nice touches of creamy malt play out fairly well. I wish the hop aroma was more distinct. Palate smacks of sweet lemongrass and bean curd.