overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3720   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

gallaghermurph (54) - Washington DC, USA - APR 3, 2006
Pours a fairly clear gold orange with red accents with a large white head that lingers. The lacing is all encompassing. Aroma is powerful hops with flowers and citrus. This is a HUGE beer. Hops upon hops. After what is a pillage of bitterness, the sky clears to reveal an incredible complexity of floral, citrus and maybe even candy flavors. Oh there’s malt alright – for those that find their way through the hops. Believe it or not, it’s really well balanced. More flavors. Grapefruit. Pine. The alcohol lets you know it’s there, but pleasantly so. This isn’t a thick beer at all, but it really wants to be chewed. Great for sipping. Again, this is a powerful one, and will be the only beer you’ll taste for the rest of the day, so make it your last. Even for someone who’s not a huge IPA fan, this is a great beer.

sersdf (1020) - chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 3, 2006
Rating 100 - Pale rotten orange color. Tamarind perhaps. Very clear, lots of tiny bubbles. Nice head. Mild aroma. Hints at grass. Less fruit than expected; nevertheless appetizing. Bitter, dry (not at all sweet). A bit alcoholic. Not the IIPA I’m used to. Dynamically balanced with a lasting, lip-smacking tackiness. I do love the lacing... Kinda alcoholic taste, more malting would help this beer.

Nejhleader (1559) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 3, 2006
Good hoppy citrus aroma. Amber colour with a bit of a fuzzy white head. Taste is a bitter hop, with a dry hoppy aftertaste. It’s a good IPA.

JoeCanals (9) - USA - APR 2, 2006 does not count
As I was buying this beer someone said to me " I heard Stone wasn’t too good" Yeah, and the world is flat. Very citrusy aroma. Looooong lasting firm head. Hops, hops, and more hops, but somehow, not overpowering. Very balanced beer!

tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - APR 2, 2006
The first sip of this is totally ruinous on the palate. Megahops and over the top. Painful. Luckily, it seems to mellow a little bit over time and becomes a more palatable beer. Still not the best IPA or the best from Stone, but a fine brew overall.

doubleipa (224) - Georgia, USA - MAR 31, 2006
I was fortunate enough to be able to have whenever I wanted for a year and a half, when I worked a consulting gig in Utica, NY. Boy are these bombers addicting. Nice firm head, with excellent lacing. The smell, oh the smell!! BAM Citrus, lemon, hops resin. This is one chewy DIPA. Almost too chewy for someone that loves DIPAs. The only downside is that I couldn’t really taste anyting else I might have later, like the Arrogant Bastard. This is my second favorite DIPA. I still prefer the Hercules.

SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - MAR 30, 2006
Bottle. Enjoy by 04/11/06. I’ve heard scary things about this demon, so I prepped myself before opening it. I was really expecting a hops explosion. It did smell like a nice salad upon opening, but not over the top. Dry hopping, citrus, and a nice malt backbone were all in the nose. The mouthfeel was very bitter, but not as ruinuous as I had thought it would be. A lot of different hops in the mouth. Citrusy, grassy, piney ... all held together nicely by a fine underlying maltiness. Very bitter going down, but sweet at the same time. Not too complex, but good nonetheless.

Hangover (1136) - oxford, Georgia, USA - MAR 30, 2006
Surprisingly clear amber pour with a lasting white head. Surprising, because of the aroma, I expected little hop floaties everywhere. Aroma blasts you with citrus hops, mainly grapefruit, orange peel and a little bit of banana. Lots of aromatic hops in the taste. Very resinous in the middle, an indication of a solid malt backbone. The hops are ruinous as advertised and linger long past the finish. Finish is bitter, of course, but not overly so as far as doubles go. Good sipping beer... I put the bomber down in a bit over an hour and really enjoyed it.

theshocker (329) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAR 28, 2006
Pours very light and crystal clear with a big, fluffy white head. I could smell this thing from 5 feet away. Majoy citrus and pine. Inviting. Bitter, but I think my palate will recover. It tastes so much thicker than it looks. Very full in the mouth, a touch of alcohol on the back of the throat. Everything else is hop hop hops.

euserphriendly (167) - Holland, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2006
A little bit of an alcohol taste is about the only bad thing that can be said about this one. Great hops smell and floral hops taste. The body is a perfect balance.