overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3720   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

cathschlag (48) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 20, 2006
Sent le houblon Cascades. Couleur d’un beau blond. L’effervescence et le houblon attaquent la langue de façon assez violente. Mince en bouche. Peut-être que l’acool est un peu trop présent. Peu d’amertume en finale. Surprenant.

frankenkitty (2012) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAR 16, 2006
For comparison’s sake, I enjoyed a bomber of Ruination directly after a bomber of Stone IPA. I adjusted my ratings slightly on the former from my prior rating in May ’05.

(Note: Here I am killing myself with big beers while I find my buddy RAYBOY01 bolstering his rating-count with some timid American Wheats. Sheesh. I’m going out to find some Schlitz...)

Poured the same, honey-amber color as <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/stone-india-pale IPA, with a longer lasting head... probably due to its cellar-temp as opposed to refrigeration. Similar, grand, PNW hop aromas with a background that seems less sharp & peppery but rather more dishwatery and acrid than its little brother. Flavor finds what seems to be a reduction of hop intensity that I can only attribute to my tastebuds gaining familiarity with the hop signature. Over the course of the beer, the hops regain their edge and I can once again appreciate hearty IBUs. Thick mouthfeel with a dry note to finish and noticable alcohol peeking through.

When it comes down to it, I’d drink either one in a heartbeat, but it would seem that I prefer the more peppery/less acrid, "standard" IPA.

<font size=-4>Purchased at <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Chicago, IL 60638<font size=-1>

SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - MAR 16, 2006
Clear gold/copper. Large, frothy, white head. Aroma of big time resinous hops with some sweet malt support and a touch of sun tan lotion. Same flavor with some citrus added. Huge bitterness. Full, balanced body. Excellent.

Paskal (146) - La Prairie, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 15, 2006
Bouteille-Couleur ambrée. Forte odeur de houblon et d’acidité (pomme MacIntosh). Malgré son fort goût, elle demuere douce au palais.--Ambered. Strong smel of hops and acid (MacIntosh apple). Despite its strong taste, it stays sweet in mouth.

ragesaq (71) - Arizona, USA - MAR 14, 2006
Appearance: Hazy rich amber color with a thick offwhite head and light lacing. Aroma: Hoppy and mildly sweet, like a slight touch of apple. Flavor profile: While it certainly is delightfully bitter, compared to the standard Stone IPA it seems less hoppy. That might be because its not quite as dry although it does have that crisp finish the IPA has. Its a little sweet with some hoppy but mellowed (for Stone) hops. A little smoother and fuller than the standard IP, also a little sweet with some of the malts they put in. Mouthfeel: Easy on the mouth, but not watery. Somewhat smoother than the normal Stone IPA as well as stronger. Overall: A pretty good IPA, but given the talk-up the bottle label I was expecting mroe. I like the regular Stone IPA better, but the Alesmith IPA best of all.

Mule (4) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 14, 2006 does not count
This beer doesn’t hurt as much as the label would have you believe, but the bitterness is lasting. I picked up this bomber after an evening of drinking hop deprived IPAs, and it certainly did the trick. I wasn’t in the mood for any malty complication.

nolankowal (938) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 13, 2006
In the mood for hops again so I thought I’d try this one out tonight and see how it fairs from the rest of the bunch. Pours a transparent, golden-amber with a decent off white head. The hop aroma is indeed pungent...lots of pine and citrus and not much else...some light caramel malt perhaps. The flavor also has a good hop punch, lots of grapefruit, some pine, and some light malty sweetness. The body isn’t as thick as I would expect for the style...it’s almost a bit watery at times. Bitter punches in the front and backwith some light maltiness in the middle. Certainly serves my hop craving...though I can’t help wanting a bigger body out of this one.

blkitson (158) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - MAR 11, 2006
Very strong smelling beer - rather cloudy looking but made a nice head. Not bad tasting but wouldn’t buy it on my own

smcd (366) - USA - MAR 8, 2006
(22oz bottle. 03/2006). Just what the palate needs to cleanse all those suggary brews. Big hop aroma. Big hop bitterness. Big hop taste. A good, easy-drinkin’ beer. Don’t be intimidated ... drink this down.

Snojerk321 (2960) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 6, 2006
Another one of my favorites! Very strong hoppy aroma, one of the hoppiest beers I’ve ever had. Then again I’m only 25 years old.