overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3489   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

tennisjoel (1496) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - OCT 1, 2005
Perfect beer in every sense! This is what an IPA should strive to become. Balance of hops and malt is just right. Floral hops, citrus, grapefuit along with the malt just explodes onto the tongue. A wonderful bouquet!

Undefined (46) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - SEP 30, 2005
Aroma full of hops and fruit. Taste is full of hops and citrus-fruity tastes, a bit malt and caramel present, but not as present as the hops.

adrian910ss (2604) - Doylestown, PA, USA - SEP 29, 2005
22 oz bomber. Pours a orange caramel color with a medium sized thick white head. Aroma is very piney and hoppy, with traces of citrus and flowers present. Taste is your classic west coast IPA. Very piney and citrusy and it leaves a nice taste in your mouth. Basically a slightly stronger version than Stone’s IPA. Almost identical in taste. Excellent !!

Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - SEP 28, 2005
Extremely fresh citrusy hop that explodes on the palate. But where is the lush malt? I know this is a double ipa and not a barleywine but I still think there should be ample malt to carry the hops. Ruination is correct in that it numbs the tongue which is only fun for so long. I give it a 4 for the walking in the field freshness of the hops.

can8ianben (1601) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 27, 2005
Very nice! Definitely a hop lovers delight. Very bitter, great hoppy flavour, huge aroma of pine, citrus, spice, all things good. The colour is a nice dark amber with a frothy head which nicely lingers on the top of the beer. Well done.

stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - SEP 25, 2005
Ridiculous. I’m obviously not worthy of this hop monster. I am not a hophead, so how can I give this one high marks? Rating is subjective, and I will not subject my palate to this one again.

TerryR (391) - Oswego, Illinois, USA - SEP 20, 2005
22oz. Amber/orange color with a nice white head that slowly fades away. Lots of pine and citrus in the nose. Flavor is more hops with a brief sweet malt interlude followed by a dry hop finish. Great beer, but not quite 3 Floyd’s Dreadnaught IMO.

lupinered (8) - Oregon, USA - SEP 20, 2005 does not count
I tried this beer at the ’05 Oregon Beer festival, and was impressed by its solid aroma and matching finish. While it did not match up to my preferred Imperial IPA of the event, Widmer’s superb Halo, it was nevertheless a solid entry.

BitchesBrew (716) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 20, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2006 [bomber, re-rate 2/28/06] Pours a nice, clear amber with a good head and lacing. Full citrus flavors that seem to get more complex as the beer warms. I think this has the perfect balance of bitterness, crazy hops, malts and fruits, yet still remains highly drinkable. This is probably the most well-balanced, easy drinking hop monster I have tried.

hayduke (5731) - Eureka, California, USA - SEP 19, 2005
UPDATED: APR 8, 2007 22 oz bottle. However I would have been happy if this had come in a 55 gal. drum, it was that good. Poured a deep, very clear amber color with nice white head. Hops, hops, hops. I love IPA and this was the best ever. There are a few other flavors hiding under the hops (orange and grapefruit maybe?), but that just adds to the enjoyment. I simply love this. I would rate it 5.0 except I need to leave room for something I have not yet tasted. But this was close to perfect for an IPA fan. Update: This is finally available in the local storres. It is my very favorite fully available beer.