overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3720   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

TheBeerOrg (2145) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JUL 15, 2005
Bottle. Pours deep golden with hints toward amber. Thin white head with dense bubbles, mostly diminishing. Aroma of grapefruit and spruce. Taste is liquid hops with a spicy tingle covering the mouth. Very bitter finish, but it is also somewhat sweet at the same time. This is where the high IBUs show up the most. This is also where the relatively high gravity is most evident. Alcohol is heavy in the aftertaste but it is covered by the hops, of course. A big bottle of Ruination kept me sipping into the early hours of the morning. Pretty damn good.. I should have enjoyed this one with something spicy, but it was good by itself.

IrishRed1983 (33) - USA - JUL 12, 2005
Great appearance. Very hoppy beer that is smooth and leaves a bitter flavor with each drink.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 11, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2006 mmm...i take offense to a comment made by a previous rater....stone, the most overrated brewery? i beg to differ. this beer never loses its extremely hoppy flavor that lasts to the last sip. yummers!

clingman71 (297) - Centerville, Ohio, USA - JUL 7, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2006 tried at the brewery following a tour, very powerful hop presence, not for the faint of heart, this was the beer that got me started on the big boys - Dogfish Head 90min, Great Divide Hercules, etc ******************************************* addition the the regular Ruination, which is anything but regular, I got to try a one time batch at the brewery following a tour. It was the normal recipe with the addition of Amarillo hops dry hopping. EXCELLENT!!! Amarillos added a citrusy aroma to an already great beer. It had the power of a double IPA , but drank easily, like an IPA. Sure wish they would have sold me a growler of it!

1.2
LJBrewing (22) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUL 6, 2005
I love good IPA’s. And then there is this from Stone. The 100+ IBU is just silly. I could barely taste any beer. As to the Hop flavour, who can tell? It is wasted away by the dominance of the IBU’s. I don’t understand those who equate Hop flavor with bitterness? I love a good hoppy IPA with nice aroma and strong hop flavours, Ruination is no such beer. You want a strong IPA that has a disinguishable Hop character Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA is the way to go.

trokini (1025) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 5, 2005
Incredible Double IPA. I actually like this more than AleSmith’s Yule Smith. The taste is stronger, hoppier, and far more bitter. If you do not like IPA’s, you will truly hate this beer. Communist.

GMP (16) - USA - JUL 5, 2005
Hop, hop and more hop. I have never had a beer this hoppy which was still drinkable before. One of the best IPAs I have come across.

fordest (2470) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - JUL 5, 2005
What a beer. Amazingly clear yellow/gold color with a huge foamy white head that lasted the whole glass. In fact, I was so exited about pouring my second glass, I was not near as careful as I should have been, and the head threatened to come pouring over the side. Luckily, I was daft enough to get my lips in position so as not to waste one drop of this liquid gold. Aromas of hoppy citrus, and citrusy hops. Aromas of Coastal Sage, and some more floral hints as well. Flavors of hops, hops, and hops. Very bitter and very yummy. Excellent.

jcr (2705) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JUL 3, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2005 The signal: Light copper with large, bubbly head.The windup: Strong hop aroma - grapefruit, pine, citrus. The pitch: Immediate bitterness that curves around the palate. The follow-through: Smooth delivery with a bitter citrus aftertaste. Bitter to the end.

blatz (138) - Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Florida, USA - JUL 2, 2005
Was as good as the reputation that follows it -- aroma has hops literally jumping out and singeing your nose. Appearance was not exactly what I expected -- I thought it would be more copper but it was actually more brassy straw. Head was minimal with little lace (strange for such a hopmeister) But the taste -- ahh -- it was like SNPA on steroids -- I loved it -- so hoppy and delicious -- grassy and wonderful feeling inside. A treat if you can get it -- cheers!!