overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3720   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

meathookjones (245) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - MAY 7, 2005
Review came from a 22oz bottle with the usual stone look to it. This poured out a murky golden color with a tall beige head. The head lasts a good bit and decent sized chunks of lace were left about the glass, as it was consumed. Very hoppy nose here with citric grapefruit and floral notes galore. Not much else came through just hops, hops and more hops. The flavor was damn hoppy as well, bitter citric hops mainly dominated with a bit of earthy notes as well. This really grabs you tongue and doesn’t let go very much the palette destroyer that ends in a long lasting dry bitter hoppy finish. Hmm this is pretty light on the tongue for a Double IPA, with a less than medium body to it. Drinkability is hurt a little by the lighter body but it is still good. I would definitely have this again, as the flavor definitely packs the hops you are looking for in this type of brew.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 5, 2005
They say the road to ruin is paved with good intentions well Stone’s intent comes to definite fruition with this beer and I’ve got to say I’m enjoying ruination. Pours a beautiful amber color with a thick offwhite head that settles to about half an inch and hangs on from then down the glass. Aroma is very citrus and hoppy. Grapefruit, lemons, and some pine cones. My wife, who I always let have a whiff of the beer, said this is the best smelling one you’ve tried yet. I’ll give it a 9 for the hop power on the aroma. Flavor is interestingly malty for all of the hops. There is alot of malt backbone to this IPA. This is not harsh at all, beautifully bitter at the end but amazingly balanced. I cannot taste the alcohol at all and I think it is very nice on the palate somewhat creamy in the mouth and that puckering bitter bite on the back makes it very memorable. Also my first double IPA and I’ve got to say if they are all this good I’m going to try more in this style!

tjthresh (1873) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - MAY 4, 2005
I have a 22 oz bomber that I picked up at Citywide Liquors. This beer is crystal clear. The color is a deep gold/light copper. Very nice, long lasting foamy white head. Very nice, citrus (lemons, oranges, grapefruit) some piney notes. If there’s one thing Stone Brewing has over everybody else, they make the most fragrant beer. This has to be the easiest drinking Double IPA ever. I’m going to go out on a limb and say they use something like Magnam of Horizon for bittering because there is zero harshness. Very well done. I just looked in a copy BYO. They say Magnum. This may be one of the fuller bodied IIPAs on the market. I have had some where the brewer tries to get the alcohol up there, but it comes at the expense of the over all brew. Again, Stone has their stuff together. Like I said before, this is the easiest drinking IIPA that I’ve had so far. Very dangerous. Kudos the Stone.

mrnutsnbolts (204) - anywhere usa, - MAY 4, 2005
Bottle. Marigold yellow with a medium off-white head. The aroma is extremely hoppy with notes of pineapple and applejuice. The taste is very bitter with a dry finish. There’s a slight alcohol afterburn. Tart beer that quenches your thirst and almost makes your mouth pucker. Stone isn’t lying when they say that Ruination is "very bitter." Great beer!

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 4, 2005
Thanks for the bomber, lamas! Bright copper color. Short head with slowly popping bubbles on the surface, creating a near grey head. You can smell this baby from several feet away - floral hops, honey, pineapple and oranges. Flavor is grassy and fresh. Pine and lime, with not much sweetening. Dry hopped bitterness, like licking a hops flower. Margarine-like coating on the palate. Definitely balanced in favor of the hops with malts not playing much of a role at all, and definitely not sweetening it much. Finish is hops, hops, hops. Boldest hops aftertaste ever. Reminds me a lot of Smuttynose IPA, which I’d give the nod to over this one. I know, I speak heresy. I guess I’ll see you in hell.

sirchris (42) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 2, 2005
Light orange body with a thin light head. Aroma screams hops, it is a loud citrusy aroma. The taste is very bitter, very hoppy, but this is a good thing. There is also a slight alcohol taste in the middle of the mouth. Excellent beer for a hop head.

brewrater (92) - uniontown, Ohio, USA - APR 30, 2005
Alefest ’05 - 100+ IBU!!!!! This and Buckeye 76 at this festival combined to outduel the combination of most of my other samples IBUs! Near perfect product as expected from one of the excellent breweries out there!

ojclark (69) - Santa Monica, California, USA - APR 29, 2005
Floral, slightly citric hop aroma that lasted for a couple of minutes after pouring. Deep golden color with a creamy head that remained for a while after pouring and never completely dissipated. Lots of lace on the sides of the glass. Serious hop flavor and bitterness. As the beer warmed up above 50 degrees, detected some alcohol bite that became a little harsh around 52 degrees. Beer was much better balanced when a little cooler (~48 deg). Detected subtle buttery/diacetyl flavor and aroma as well. Very carbonated which caused it to clear the palate very quickly, making way for a nicely bitter and hoppy aftertase. Overall, an excellent beer: big, hoppy, complex and even though hops dominated, pretty well balanced for a double IPA.

NVBeer232 (467) - Reno, Nevada, USA - APR 28, 2005
I’ve probably drank a few cases of this stuff and just never gotten around to rating it. This stuff can be very good and very disappointing. When it’s fresh, this is like battery acid. Oily for a second before it digs in and shreds you with acidic bitterness. Other times, it’s not nearly as intense, actually bordering on sweet/oily/malty. I just don’t think it holds well on shelves. But regardless, I this is my second choice when I’m looking for a bomber of big ass IPA and I can’t find any Hippie or 76.

Bockyhorsey (2628) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - APR 27, 2005
Amber in color with a small head. All hop aromas and flavor. Good citrus flavor and cool and crisp on the palate. Great beer.