overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3719   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - MAY 10, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2005 on draft barleys beer festival III: this was my first beer of the festival, i always try to find the best beer before my palate goes to shit. this was poured dark golden yellow, with a thin white head. the nose was off the charts fruit vanilla and cascade. the palate was full of hops that was like sucking on a hop almost. crazy good. however, as the description states ruinous effect, is true, nothing after this compared. even barley wines were falling short. absolutely crazy, didnt know at the the time it was 7.7% but makes since. try this one it will hop your world.

hopdog (12451) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 8, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2004 Medium amber with an averaged sized off-white head. Piney/spruce smell with hints of oranges. This beer reminds me why IPAs are one of my favorite styles - hops, hops and more hops!

Enniskillen (2051) - Bakersfield, California, USA - MAY 5, 2004
Pretty Hoppy, not super hoppy though, I was expected face peeling hoppiness in this one. I had been looking for this for awhile, and had to go to San Diego to get it. The malt and hop balance is outstanding, smooth, great carbination. Almost like piney, with the hops. There was a thread that said this beer was overatted, I disagree, this is a very impressive IPA.

mardermax (71) - santa cruz, California, USA - MAY 3, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 16, 2005 22oz bomber- And when i say bomber i mean, da shiznitollbang!! my dream beer. i love hops and this aint a dissapointment. Somewhat cloudier than i remember, and a little yeast lingers in the bottom of the tulip glass we’re drinking this out of.. a fine mist of yeast, I feel like a baron. Fruity delish, lacing of foamy head. This beer is ruinous...bombastic. true love. Deep golden color, citrusy, and very very hoppy aftertaste.. My palate is energized as well as enlightened.. This brew is baffeling. stone is the shiiiiiiii-at

DYCSoccer17 (3691) - Woodland, California, USA - MAY 3, 2004
Aroma is pine, bitter, and sour. Lots of christmas tree in this nose. Lighter than expected transparent copper with robust frothy white head. Start is sweet, getting really piney in the middle. Finishes very very bitter. Very smooth beer and easy to drink, though. Carbonation is turned down. Could use some more carbonation and the alcohol burn at the end is a little much for me.

Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - MAY 2, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2004 Rerate- had a few more of these over the last few months, and I am enjoying it less. The balance is a bit off in my opinion after trying other doubles. Ruination is right. It shocks the palate for the next few hours. Hop Hop Hop everywhere, aroma, taste, finish. Not much balance, but that is to be expected from this beast.

FROTHINGSLOSH (7697) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 1, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 14, 2015 This used to be one of my favorite IIPAs - a 4.5 in the old days, but it is a shell of it’s former self.+++ This beer poured an orange amber color with a large creamy orange-white head that lingered and left good lacing. The aroma was dryish and spicy with moderate notes of vague floral and herbal hops. The flavor was bitter, dryish and somewhat tart with notes of vague floral, perfumey and herbal hosp and light undertones of pine, grapefruit and pepper. The finish was long and dry with lingering pine, pepper and floral/herbal hops. Moderately full bodied. This beer used to be a sweet grapefruit bomb but they have ruined an old favorite and I doubt I would bother to get it again after what they have done to it.

estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAY 1, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2007 Clear light amber, small white head, rising carbonation, massive PNW hops and perhaps a bit of malt in the nose. Rich mouthfeel, some sweet malt, way overhopped, very bitter finish. My impression of the brewer: good technique, very poor judgment. Like drinking Pine-Sol. What’s with the 4.11 overall rating?

zathrus13 (1776) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - MAY 1, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2004 Pours yellow/amber, with a quickly disappearing head. Aroma is flowery and fruity. Taste is grapefruit and the body is just right. Alcohol is hidden well. Finishes with hops. Drinks very easily.

pexoo (17) - Avon Lake, Ohio, USA - APR 27, 2004
Aroma hit with a flowery / fruit smell. For an IPA it has an unexpected creaminess, with a balanced hoppy flavor. My wife avers, "One of the best beers I have ever tasted. I like it."