overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3719   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

biermonk (265) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JAN 3, 2004
Gorgeous beer! Amber, honey color with a huge white head. Smells like a candied grapefruit. Flavor is of grapefruit. Finish comes full circle. From a bitter citrus to a bite of HOPS and back again. This is fantastic a very big beer.

wilkie (1208) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Orange color with slight haze. Not too foamy, but there is some amount of lingering white head. Aroma is interesting: grapefruit, cream, maybe a tinge of pine--all in hops. FLavor is slightly citrous, little malty, and a loooooong bitter aftertaste which changes from grapefruit to pine and back. Generally, I don't like the over hopped beers, but this one was done carefully and judiciously. Well rounded flavor and full on the palate. I honor the paganistic ritual slaughter of these hop plants. They died with honor!

Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - DEC 30, 2003
Awesome brew for a hophead! Very hoppy, yet still slightly sweet (in a strange way). Best IPA in my opinion: cloudy orange color, floral aroma, citrus flavor...strong hops!

SpringsLicker (3617) - Tennessee, USA - DEC 30, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2004 RUIN ME! From the bottle numerous times. This has everything it should, aroma, color, taste, overall mouth feel, etc., but more importantly, it blends them so smoothly that you don’t know where one flavor ends and another begins. I prefer it to the Dogfish Head 90, but at this level we’re nit picking anyway. World Class IPA. On draught at Brewtopia ’04 Even better dispensed fresh from the keg! World class IIPA.

kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - DEC 28, 2003
(bottle) Lovely medium gold-light amber color. Hops aroma (duh). As expected, very hoppy, but after the first couple of sips, it seemed fairly balanced (maybe my tastebuds are now ruined).

cherr (162) - Rochester, New York, USA - DEC 28, 2003
The beer has a nice hops aroma. The color is a bit muddied. The taste is full with initial carmel malt then strong hops aftertaste. Excellent, excellent beer.

auto (163) - California, USA - DEC 23, 2003
grrrrrrrrrreat brewski!! the flavour is awesome. possibly my favourite beer at the moment.

EdPaulsen (117) - Rochester, New York, USA - DEC 23, 2003
very very hoppy. though, perhaps not as much as the bottle/reputation promises relative to many other hoppy brands. though, the orangey nature of the hops is very present, and enjoyable, especially good at cutting through if drank with food.

snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - DEC 20, 2003
Pours an orange-yellow with a decent size white head. Aroma is hops, all hops, and nothing but hops. The flavor pretty much follows the aroma, there is some malt in there, but not much. If you're not a hophead, look elsewhere.

1.2
Appletart (10) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 15, 2003
(Cask) Ummm...this beer smells like the inside of my dresser, which, by the way, belonged to my great-grandmother. I was definately hesitant. Oh my dear lord(!), it tastes like I just licked a tree. Like just whipping out your tongue and going to town on a gnared out, sappy fuckin' tree. Gnar. I can't tell you the texture, I was too busy grossing out & wiping my tongue off with a paper towel. A very decieving, warm & inviting color. I feel ill, thanx.