overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3720   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

zen (41) - Long Beach, California, USA - MAR 23, 2004
First let me praise Stone Brewery. Although I love their other products(Bastard and such), no two of their beers tastes the same. In that I mean, when I drink a Sam Adams of any rendition, I know I'm drinking Sam Adams. So with the adventurous Stone, there are no limits and every single brew is its' own entity. After having the Stone IPA, which I feel is a premier IPA, Ruination started showing up at my local. Thank God.....pours nice with beautiful golden color, lace throughout the glass, long lasting. The smell, takes over a room...bold hops, hint of malt. The taste is all hops, with a tremendous mouthfeel that's oily on the hops but finishes dryer than a Sahara Caravan, but within the center of all this, is a tinge of fruit (citrus) that not only rolls out the red carpet to the best hop finish I have every had. Some describe the malt at the finish, I sense it in the center with the citrus....pitching a tent for the ever lingering hops. This beer finishes clean, crisp...at 7.7ABV% don't underestimate this demon of an IPA

TinyClanger (41) - West Sussex, West Sussex, ENGLAND - AUG 3, 2005
[Bottle at Great British Beer Festival] Bam! A huge hit of citrusy hops as soon as your nose gets within about a foot of the glass - definitely an indicator of things to come! Pours a clear amber-gold with a loose white head. When it touches your tongue, you’re blasted with hops and citrus, which gives way to a lingering sweet, tangy hoppiness. Needless to say, there is a *long* dry aftertaste waiting for you. The words "import", "UK" and "right now" spring to mind. Are you listening, Sainsburys?

Twentys (41) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - OCT 12, 2005
Smells, pours, laces, great. Tastes a bit sour. Super bitter, delicious, typical citrus-y notes.

greco (41) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - AUG 8, 2007
A bit sweeter than Stone’s standard IPA which is good because it is also a bit more bitter. The balance is nice.

Atlove (41) - USA - FEB 2, 2008
The Ruination IPA pours a clear golden-orange with a white, lacing head. The flavor is dominated by hops, but not overbearing. I expected this beer to be a lot more intense and dynamic, but it’s hardly an ’imperial’ IPA in my opinion. It’s still a very fine beer, but not at the level of a 90 minute or a hopslam.

dankbrewqueen (41) - Morongo Valley, California, USA - SEP 9, 2008
quite hoppy and definitely a favorite ipa! it seems as though stone cant miss with there exceptional brews. i keep tasting them, and keep liking them! quality ingredients make this one top of the line for me!

tmgiddings (41) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - APR 29, 2010
22oz bottle - Pours earthy yellow with a half inch bone-white head which quickly dissapates into sparce lacing. Aroma is resin and pine. Taste is extremely piny with bready undertones. Mouthfeel is creamy and slightly oily.

myfriendbubba (40) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - MAR 23, 2006
22oz bottle. Clear, golden and copper tint. decent amount of white head. Full, dry hop aroma. Big alcohol surypy thick malty and way to much going on for me in the hop department. I need to try again to re rate I am sure

OhioGuzzler (40) - Maineville, Ohio, USA - SEP 12, 2006
Tasted this guy next to an ale smith IPA - very similar on the pour - nice thick white head with a beautiful light copper coloring. Smell like a hop field during harvest time. This beauty is the dominatrix that will punish your hop fetish. A malty Bitter citrus flavor gives way to a sweeter orange and grass profile which fades to a floral hop bitterness. Not too shabby, but be prepared.

wineandbrew (40) - Steilacoom, Washington, USA - DEC 8, 2006
Bought @ Steilacoom Wine and Brew. Stone is a wonderful brewery, but I will say that IPA’s aren’t my fave right off the bat. That being said, I enjoy this beer... Yes, a lot of hops, but balanced with the malt of an (almost) imperial IPA, so the body helps the IBU’s come across evenly. Good Solid Brew!