overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3488   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

papajohn (1340) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - JUN 18, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2006 6/18/02 Yeah it’s bitter, pungent and hoppy, but so is AleSmith’s I.P.A., without all of the hype !!! Kinda intense, but a good I.P.A. none the less. 5/22/04 Pours a rich amber color with a small off white head. Nose is sweet and floral with a touch of pine. Flavor starts syrupy sweet followed light citrus and pine and finishing with a lingering dry bitter aftertaste. Smooth on the palate, this is a hop monster!

JohnC (3008) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JUN 19, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2004 re-rated on 3 Jan 2004 after an Imperial IPA side by side w Victory, DFH, Alesmith, Marin & 3 Floyds Beautiful honey golden color, very clear. Great hoppy taste. WOW

raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - NOV 28, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2004 Re-Rate:Plenty of malt sweetness and toastiness in aroma and taste.Hops aren't all that is there. As soon as I opened this I could smell goodness. Pours a clear copper color with a decent WHITE,dense head.Being a person that has brewed before,I can tell you this beer smells like the FRESHEST HOPS on the block.It reaks of citrus,orange rind,flower hops.The taste a bit too cold was just bitter but not overwhelming.As it warmed I got plenty of malt before the lovely,bitter finish.Much more balanced than I expected by others opinions.VERY DRINKABLE. A lovely choice for a year rounder.THANKS,silky.

herbstress3 (221) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 21, 2002
Nice creamy head and great rich smokey fruity smell. Very bitter and delightful beer; creeps into your taste buds but aftertaste a little dry and weak. Aftertaste stops a little too early. I was expecting the goddess of all beers right here but I guess I'll keep looking.

stephen (308) - California, USA - JUL 29, 2002
Copper colored and highly carbonated. Coarse head with a lasting creamy top. Aroma is citric. For the claimed 100+ IBUs this beer is tamed by a generous addition of aroma hops. A little smoother than the bastard and double bastard but definitely a step up from the standard Stone IPA. A good beer for rating #50.

Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - SEP 1, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 1, 2005 Ironically I drank this right before I broke up with my girlfriend. Check the definition on the bottle, that’s what happened to us. Really a good IPA though.... Rerate: Nice strong hop aroma. Taste is big hops, somewhat unbalanced with bitterness.

40oz (181) - Newport Beach, California, USA - SEP 3, 2002
Amber color with a thick creamy white head. Citrusy, flowery, junipery, fruity Cascade hop aroma with a hint of doughy maltyness. Strong citrus, tea, hop flavor bitterness that is mixed with a candy sugar like sweetness that also provides a somewhat heavy mouthfeel. A very tasty beer.

baobubba (455) - Starkville, Mississippi, USA - NOV 29, 2002
Smells like a fresh bag of hops (same profile even). Body and alcohol seem to be the only evidensce that they used malt in this thing. A slight amount of sweetness.

edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 2, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2003 3/6/03: re-rate. was i in a bad mood on 11/23/02? nice amount of lacing left on glass. golden orange colour. very hoppy. 11/23/02: strong lingering taste

kyzr (1596) - Montana, USA - DEC 10, 2002
Hops and hops, what a brew. Drank it at room temp and loved it. My only complaint was that I liked their regular IPA for mouth feel. It was more creamy. But what the hell, whats not to like with this one!