overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3720   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

ABUSEDGOAT (2760) - California, USA - JUL 25, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2007 Pours an amber body with a moderate head. Grapefruity and citrusy hops dominate the aroma with resiny notes. Some caramel backing, but not a lot of malt complexity. It’s funny to look back and think this used to be one of the most bitter beers I had. One of my favorites from Stone, but that doesn’t say much.

Malakin (470) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 7, 2005
Clear amber with a thick murky hop aroma. Strong hop flavour, and bitter but not that bitter. There’s better flavour in their regular IPA.

beerbrat99 (132) - Shanghai, CHINA - OCT 20, 2005
Overwhelming and not to be taken lightly? I found this to be a wonderful Imperial IPA but somehow it didn’t live up to my expectations. Fantastic aroma but the hop flavor seems a little low due to some malt overload. It’s bitter but the hop complexity seems one dimensional. Still enjoyable and will try it again.

SuIIy (1983) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - OCT 22, 2005
22oz bottle from OhioDad...Thanks Scott! Pours a deep orange color with a big foamy white head. nose is kinda faint, light piney notes and some citrus is involved. taste is quite unimpressive. Hops of course are the main thing, very little malt backbone here to support the hops, decent bitterness in the finish.

leaparsons (10551) - Wigston, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - NOV 8, 2005
Bottle. Golden brown with a big off-white head. Aromas are fairly light malts with earthy dry pine and petrol fume-like alcohol vapours. Flavours are fruity with caramel. Very prickly hops, dry, bitter and mouth numbing in its alcohol. Too strong to drink too many for sure. Almost overbearing.

dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - NOV 23, 2005
pours apricot with a nice white head. aroma of hops and pine. good hoppy flavor, with touches of pine and cirus. nice bitter finish.

MmmmCheese (29) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - DEC 4, 2005
I really enjoyed the first half of this large bottle but after that the hops were overpowering for me. I’d buy it again though just so I can train my taste buds to appreciate good beer. It was as well balanced a beer as it could be. Buy this if you like hops.

jb (3253) - Rochester, New York, USA - DEC 4, 2005
Orange beer with thin white head and nice lacing. Apricots and hops in the aroma. More hops, along with malt in the palate, has nice body to it. Finish is not all that bitter. A good beer, I didn’t think it was overdone on the hops.

alabamajohn (67) - Alabama, USA - DEC 17, 2005
I have to admit I feel like a wuss for not loving this beer. It is just too much for me. Intense is an understatement. Would taste graet in a 2 ounce sample, but a whole glass of this resiny stuff is challenging.

kepano (278) - Los Angeles, California, USA - DEC 25, 2005
Ruination was my second experience with Stone Brewing, that is to say I indeed experienced the ruinous effects of the Ruination IPA. As I’ve mentioned before my penchant is usually towards the less hoppy of beers, but I can make an exception especially for the exceptional - of any style. In this case I had been preparing all day for the buccal massacre, so Stone’s craft was not so much of a slaughter as it could have been. The appearance of this so-called monster seemed rather innocuous, even mundane. Under the soapy bubble bath of a head hid a clear tangerine-colored liquid. Every citrus fruit you can think of finds its way into the nose of this beer: orange, grapefruit and lime especially are enhanced by the aroma of pineapple, apricot, apple and pear. Quite tropical of a blend. Toasty biscuits and graham crackers sweeten the deal and provide a light malt backbone. In the mouth, Ruination bears more resemblance to its name and takes on an aggressive persona. The abrasive carbonation and dry mouthfeel make it difficult to find complexity in the flavor which thus limits it to heavily burnt toast and a slight grapefruit tang. I can see what people like in IPAs, but my preference goes to less hostile styles as I generally don’t equate beer and pain... Unless I’m going for a Century Club.