overall
Formerly brewed at Stone Brewing
Style: Imperial IPA
Escondido, California USA

RATINGS: 3488   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
Please note that the Ruination produced in Europe is the Ruination Double IPA 2.0

Darkover (1543) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 25, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 26, 2005 Pale cloudy amber color, big thick beige head. Strong piney hop aroma and flavor. Long bitter finish.

awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2003
Well, I was looking at the back of the bottle on this one and damn if the person who wrote the description wasn't a litle high on this beer. I expected one hell of a s.o.b. with the bitterness. First smell and I swear I was mistaken as I got a pleasantly sweet smell. First taste was a cautious one as I was still waiting for the knockout pucker. Not coming as I taste the pleasant taste of grapefruit. Had no problem drinking this IPA and made my cigar taste even better.

npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - MAR 4, 2003
Cask RAF '03. Golden with no head. Light, sweet aroma with notes of apricot. Rather sweet, with fruity notes, a slight toffeeish, bready malt flavor, and a good solid dose of citrusy hops.

Dorwart (2609) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - APR 4, 2003
Well, trying to follow the previous rating is going to be tough. This beer is a WOW for the hops lover. Decent head and carbonation with great lacing. Aroma smacks you in the face repeatedly as more and more hops aroma is released from the surface. Color is a slightly murky orange color. Taste of hops, hops and more hops. A little rough in the beginning but once you get used to it, it will be worth the effort. Finish is bitter (yummy) and leaves a thin film in your mouth. Don't plan on enjoying any other beers or food after drinking this beer. Your taste buds will be useless for hours. A great beer for anyone who is a fan of hops and bitter beers.

fly (1487) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - JUL 5, 2003
I must be jaded. Or my pallette has been destroyed (ruined) prior to tasting this. I found it rather nice and once again as I approached a Stone beer with trepidation, I found that I had no need to squirm. It took me by the hand and walked me through a happy, hoppy tase. Sure, don't get me wrong - there's all the hops and more than most could ever want. Have just had a few over-zealous brewers in this city that love dosing a kettle with as much as it can handle when it comes to the bitter. If this is what you crave, fear not, but enjoy as I did.

zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - AUG 2, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2003 American brewers just love the hoptastic flavor of over-hopped beers. That's OK, because I do too. Intitally, my mamby-pamby malt-head couldn't handle the ass-kicking hops in some of these beers. Now, all other beers are like drinking water. Unfortunately, there is a limit. Stone takes this one a bit too far. It just doesn't have the balance that other beers, like Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA, posess. Flavor is typical of a standard citrusy IPA, but a slight better malt balance could do this beer a bit of good. Regardless, it's a great butt-kicking beer that looks and tastes great.

frylock (1144) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - AUG 3, 2003
Big time hop aroma, with just the slightest hints of malts. The head was rather small and fast on this. Tons of hops and bitterness in the flavor, I also got some mint flavor, and just a touch of malt. Hops linger for a long time. Good, but I appreciate a well balanced IPA more.

jeffin7 (613) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - OCT 27, 2003
Aroma of piney hops with a very big sweet malt backing. Flavor is same as the aroma except the malt is even more prevalent with a slight alcoholic warmth at room temperature. Very big in both the hops and the malt. The big sweet malt makes it stand out a little from others in its style.

snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - DEC 20, 2003
Pours an orange-yellow with a decent size white head. Aroma is hops, all hops, and nothing but hops. The flavor pretty much follows the aroma, there is some malt in there, but not much. If you're not a hophead, look elsewhere.

radiomgb (2838) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 1, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2007 Beautiful oranger/amber in colour with a light coloured head. Aroma was filled with hops, slightly earthy, lots of citrus (grapefruit, oranges) and lots of citrus in general. Flavour of oranges, grapefruit, quite hoppy, surprisingly smooth and but lacking in balance. Finished with a long lingering bitterness. A hop assult. Thank you very much for this one ClarkVV.