overall

RATINGS: 2384   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

goldtwins (4319) - Nesconset, New York, USA - MAY 12, 2005
Poured a very dark brown. Aroma and flavors of roasted malt and some chocolate. Aroma also had a touch of smoke. Smooth and creamy mouth feel with a medium body.

lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 10, 2005
Pours pitch black with a thick tan head. I love a really dark porter! Smell is dominated by the smoke. Chocolate and bitter burnt malt. Nice! Taste does not live up to the smell. Lots of chocolate flavor and lots of dark malt. Lightly nutty and bitter coffee flavors. Strong licorice flavors as well. There is some light smoke throughout but nothing like the smell or like other smoked beers I have had. however, it is still a really complex and tasty beer. Smoky aftertaste and full-bodied. Damn drinkable. I can’t think of another time that a beer has disappointed me so much but still delivered things I wasn’t even looking for. Excellent!

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 7, 2005
Pours an opaque rudy brown color, large tan head with nice lingering. Tinge of smoke lays a pantina over the roast and cocoa aromatics. Slightly peaty nose is quickly enveloped by lusterous roast malt flavors. Closer to the finish, the cocoa element fuses with the roastiness. The tinge of smokiness returns in the finish, intermingling with residual cocoa and caramel flavors. The mouthfeel is full but slightly crisp. Lacks the oily astringency of a larger smoke character.

richlikebeer (839) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 5, 2005
thanks to lou18 for the bomber, pours a deep ruby red color with a huge creamy tan head, aroma is slightly bitter/burnt coffee with hints of smoke. flavor is very rich and thick with coffee and some caramels, chocolate is the back end. the smoke is exactly as advertised...just kind of lingering in the background but never really taking over any part of the flavor. a very nice body and creamy mouthfeel. thanks alot lou.

rickgordon (3878) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - MAY 4, 2005
Bottled. Very dark brown. A good Porter but I was expecting more after having looked at previous ratings. The smokiness is just subtle but the caramel is there. There is an oak feel to this one. Light-medium bodied.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 3, 2005
Very deep brown almost black with ruby highlights. Thick brown head remains about about a half inch high all the way down the glass. Aroma is roasted coffee and just a bit of sweet chocolate coming through. Smoke comes out in the flavor in the background with some coffee taste as well.. Very earthy.. On the palate it is fine thick and creamy like I like my porters. Overall a good porter that is very true to the style but like a previous poster said I think this one might get better with age... I think I’m going to cellar one and try it again next year if I can resist temptation that long! Good beer!

StewardofGondor (2088) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 2, 2005
Deep brown color with a fluffy, creamy, slippery, 3/4" thick head. What a beauty! Aroma is robust: roasted barley, chocolate and some coffee. Flavor is all-encompassing. Smoky backdrop and chocolatey. Smoke plays the role of hops and the malts are ever-present. Moderate viscosity. Finish is coffee and chocolate with a kielbasa aftertaste. A noble drink. I’d like to have this one again with a cigar. Thanks to lamas for the bottle!

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - APR 29, 2005
. I am fearful of the ruach beers, but glad I tried this. Poured dark with a foamy tan head, just like the picture, ha ha. I smelled chocolate and coffee and a bit of smoke, but good smoke, like food, not a burned building. The taste was the same: Roasted chocolate, malts smoked peat?. This was a great beer

desurfer (1302) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - APR 21, 2005
Pours a deep, deep mahogany with a thick tan head. Aroma is super roasty and chocolatey, a bit of smokiness in the background. The flavor is very rich despite the body not being as full as I would expect. Lots of roasted coffee and burnt chocolate, some peat notes, and a rather bitter, dry finish. Solid but not quite sensational; nevertheless I wish it were available in my neck of the woods so I could drink it more than once.

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 21, 2005
I couldn’t really pick out the smoked flavor of my bottle. More like toasted malt, and dark dry coffee. A definite earthy quality. Medium bodied and dry. I wish it was more "over-the-top" coming from Stone but I think it holds very true to the style. A bottle is easily finished.