overall

RATINGS: 2455   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

rickgordon (3874) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - MAY 4, 2005
Bottled. Very dark brown. A good Porter but I was expecting more after having looked at previous ratings. The smokiness is just subtle but the caramel is there. There is an oak feel to this one. Light-medium bodied.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 3, 2005
Very deep brown almost black with ruby highlights. Thick brown head remains about about a half inch high all the way down the glass. Aroma is roasted coffee and just a bit of sweet chocolate coming through. Smoke comes out in the flavor in the background with some coffee taste as well.. Very earthy.. On the palate it is fine thick and creamy like I like my porters. Overall a good porter that is very true to the style but like a previous poster said I think this one might get better with age... I think I’m going to cellar one and try it again next year if I can resist temptation that long! Good beer!

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 2, 2005
Deep brown color with a fluffy, creamy, slippery, 3/4" thick head. What a beauty! Aroma is robust: roasted barley, chocolate and some coffee. Flavor is all-encompassing. Smoky backdrop and chocolatey. Smoke plays the role of hops and the malts are ever-present. Moderate viscosity. Finish is coffee and chocolate with a kielbasa aftertaste. A noble drink. I’d like to have this one again with a cigar. Thanks to lamas for the bottle!

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - APR 29, 2005
. I am fearful of the ruach beers, but glad I tried this. Poured dark with a foamy tan head, just like the picture, ha ha. I smelled chocolate and coffee and a bit of smoke, but good smoke, like food, not a burned building. The taste was the same: Roasted chocolate, malts smoked peat?. This was a great beer

desurfer (1302) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - APR 21, 2005
Pours a deep, deep mahogany with a thick tan head. Aroma is super roasty and chocolatey, a bit of smokiness in the background. The flavor is very rich despite the body not being as full as I would expect. Lots of roasted coffee and burnt chocolate, some peat notes, and a rather bitter, dry finish. Solid but not quite sensational; nevertheless I wish it were available in my neck of the woods so I could drink it more than once.

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 21, 2005
I couldn’t really pick out the smoked flavor of my bottle. More like toasted malt, and dark dry coffee. A definite earthy quality. Medium bodied and dry. I wish it was more "over-the-top" coming from Stone but I think it holds very true to the style. A bottle is easily finished.

punkpie (19) - Covina, California, USA - APR 20, 2005
Pours a nice dark brown/black kinda smells like smokey coffee and chocolate... and tastes about the same.. pretty smooth... kinda bitter which I like... seems like it would be the perfect beer with a lil BBQ pork... mmm I’m hungry and lovin this Porter!

madcow75 (426) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - APR 18, 2005
Pours dark brown/black. Thin tan head that diminishes. Smells like sweet smoke, some molasses. Good smoked coffee taste. Medium body. Good bitter finish. Good Porter.

kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - APR 17, 2005
(bottle) Black with tan head. Aromas of smoked malt, hints of coffee. Flavor is coffee, hints of dark chocolate. Very bitter burnt coffee finish when cold, this mellowed as it warmed up.

jackamackson (127) - USA - APR 16, 2005
dark dark brown pour-sizable brown head. smoky malty aroma.. coffee there too. flavor is mildy sweet.. roasty, with a good bitterness in the end.. smoky aftertaste. somewhat full-mouthfeel, for a porter. I last drank this a long time ago, now I appreciate it much more. a very good porter.