overall

RATINGS: 2381   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   IBU: 53   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
A rich, dark and delicious porter with chocolate and coffee overtones accented by a subtle smokiness from just the right amount of peat smoked malt. Unlike a rauchbier, the "smoke" in Stone Smoked Porter is an ELEMENT of the character rather than being THE character. -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing Co.

MrEcted1 (144) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - MAY 25, 2006
This might be my favorite porter. Pours a beautiful dark brown color, almost black. Initially starts off with a nice head, but it does diminish a bit leaving a faint froth on the top, just enough to keep the lace going. Smells of dark roast coffee, smoke (duh!) and dark bakers chocolate. Goes down nice and smooth, very easy to drink. Makes for a perfect rainy day type beer, when it’s cold outside and you wish you were grillin’

adamjf (9) - USA - JUL 23, 2007 does not count
Tried at the brewery on tap. I have to say I haven’t had very many porters and didn’t think I would like it since I am not a big dark beer drinker, but it was very good. Had a fair amount of head, but both head and beer were very smooth. Had flavors of chocolate and coffee. Not overpowering the rest of the beer I didn’t think.

LooseCannon (938) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - JUL 29, 2007
12 oz bottle. Pours dark brown in color with a full foam brown head. Aroma sweet, hoppy and chocolate. Taste coffee, chocolate and smoke with lite bitter finish.

sacredchao (3) - USA - SEP 25, 2007 does not count
Dark with a lot of flavor. Definite coffee, a bit of chocolate. Possible caramel. Surprisingly high carbonation. Excellent beer, overall.

rob897 (62) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 15, 2007
What more can I say, I have not had one beer from Stone that I have not liked and this being a porter with some smokiness to it.. makes it one great beer.

coldmeat23 (232) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - NOV 18, 2009
Dark, dark ruby color. Appears black at first. Nice easy pour produces a frickin’ huge head of dense tan foam, which has hellish retention. Will it ever go away? Wow. Impressive for sure, but almost too much. Lacing is nice and sticky. Big chocolatey malts. A touch of smoke. Light hint of some hop spiciness. Hints of caramel and dark fruits. Big earthiness quality. A fairly complex nose. Big flavor of roasted malt. Underlying hint of smokiness, not nearly as much as I expected. Sweetness of vanilla and caramel. Nice earthy quality here, also. Very slight hops bite. Light chocolate and coffee notes. Hints of dark fruits. Good solid medium boby. Good level of creaminess. This is an excellent porter, overall. I would drink many of these, and often, if given the opportunity. Not as smoky as may have been expected, but a very good offering from Stone, nonetheless.

MetalNHopHead (2018) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - AUG 8, 2015
Ah, Stone Smoked Porter. You tasty, tasty bastard, you. I’ve shared good times with your Vanilla-infused sibling, but you’re just as delicious all by yourself, aren’t you? Wait, why am I starting this review by addressing the beer? Why did I think that was a good idea? Forget it. Stone Smoked Porter smells like coffee, chocolate, and smoke. It tastes like it smells. The peat character and acrid bitterness are subtle enough not to be overpowering but assertive enough to enhance the roasted malts. Mouthfeel is dry and robust. Honestly, I wasn’t able to drink enough of this to make me happy. Smoked Porter made me a better person in the short time it was in front of me.

tsd08460 (1193) - Marshall, Virginia, USA - FEB 18, 2016
Aroma: smoke, roasty, chocolate, Appearance: brown-black with a beige head Taste: medium sweetness, medium bitterness, light smoke Palate: medium body, creamy, soft carbonation, long finish, Tasty

Zgpt (51) - Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 14, 2016
Pours black with nice tan head. Not a strong smell. Taste is rich but slightly tangy with a strong finish of smoke which I love. Very nice. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

ordybill (1805) - Douglasville, Georgia, USA - NOV 12, 2016
Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. The appearance is a near pitch black pour with a medium sized tan head. the aroma is a nice blend of smoke, malt and cocoa. The taste is malt driven with some smoke. An outstanding beer.