overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 395   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Rick Blankemeier & Robert Chandler’s Sprocketbier Black Rye Kolsch Style. We’ve been brewing together for the better part of three years. Rick is an amazing homebrewer and always has at least one spare recipe hidden somewhere in that magnificent head of his. Robbie, on the other hand, is the Igor to Rich’s Dr. Frankenstein (but with less hunchback and more beard). Armed with only a four-letter acronym (KISS) and a mission to make a beer that was balanced and complex but still sessionable, Rick jotted down a recipe on a sticky note that would impress even the most seasoned brewmaster. Out of 19 amazing beers brewed by 19 teams of the best brewers at Stone Brewing Co., Steve Wagner (Co-founder & President), Greg Koch (Co-founder & CEO), and Mitch Steele (Brewmaster) chose this one after a blind tasting of the top nine beers. As we write this, we are honored and humbled by the decision to select our beer for the very first Stone Brewing Co. Spotlight Series release. Our original goal was to pay tribute to the SNL Sprockets skit by creating a beer that even Dieter would think "is dark and easy to drink," and we’re pretty sure we succeeded (Dieter’s not around to ask). We love this beer and can’t wait to share it with beer geeks and Stone fans around the country. Before you delve into this Impressively Dark and Amazingly Balanced beer, let us propose a toast to the ones we have lost, and to those of us who will never let their memories be forgotten…… Cheers, Prost, Salud and Good Memories to all!

scottw86 (1177) - Maryland, USA - MAY 15, 2014
Poured almost black with a large tan head. Aroma has lots of rye and chocolate. Some nuts as well. Taste is slightly acidic with lots of chocolate and rye flavors. Slightly nutty with a touch of coffee and smoke. Overall very nice!

GJF (1520) - Mount Vernon, Iowa, USA - MAY 15, 2014
Tasty. Black pour. Thin brown head. Nice lacing. Lots of roasted character to it. Fairly smooth and full-bodied. I don’t quite get the Kolsch thing, but tasty nonetheless.

oRos (1675) - sacramento, California, USA - MAY 15, 2014
Bottle shared by Rhoner. Pours black with whitish head. Taste is lots of malts with carmelt and roasted finish

Hopnwild (1) - Calistoga, California, USA - MAY 15, 2014 does not count
I picked up this beer on a whim because it sounded interesting and Kolsch as well as dark beers are right up my alley. I have to say that Stone is not a beer that I normally drink but when I do I enjoy them in most cases, BUT this brew caught me pleasantly by surprise! This beer from the get go was just what I had hopped for! A rich clear dark black color with a tan to caramel cap of pebbly foam that held its ground and stayed with the beer for the session. The aroma was subtle but balanced with toasted coffee, chocolate, leather and a hint of rye spice in the nose. The flavors were well constructed and balanced, rich toasted notes with a hop bitterness that complimented the beer and did not over power the flavor of the malt and rye. the finish was pleasant with a hint of warming alcohol and tannins that felt full in the mouth and left you wanting another swig. all in all a very well made beer, I told my wife if she was thinking about buying me a beer for fathers day she could pick up a few of these and I would be a very happy dad!

yngwie (17078) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - MAY 14, 2014
Bottle, 22oz. It pours a dark beige to light tan head of moderate size, nice lacings left. It’s next to black in color, at least really dark brown. The aroma has a little touch of butterscotch toffee, with roasted malts, coffee and a little brownie hint. It’s roasted, almost burnt on the palate too, some sweetness going on, but it’s far from being cloying. Coffee and a little hoppy bitterness too. Lasting roasted and burnt finish with brownies and caramel. A black rye kölsch the label says, but this is nowhere near a kölsch. Not at all. Pretty nice anyway though. Hoped for some spice hints from the rye, but that’s not detectable. 140514

User134089 (1644) - - MAY 13, 2014
Type: 22-oz. bottle Glass: Lagunitas mason jar From: Costco in in Mission Valley (San Diego), Calif. Price: $5.99 Purchased: May 12, 2014 Consumed: May 13, 2014 Misc.: Bottled on April 21, 2014 Poured a black color with two fingers of cloudy tan head. Good amount of layered lacing along the sides of the glass. Very good retention on the top of the glass. Smelled chocolate, chocolate milk, toffee, dark chocolate, faint smoky fire, caramel, coffee notes, roasty nuts, espresso and some unknown dark spices. Tasted even darker than the smell. Got dark chocolate, fudge, coffee beans, roasted nuts, toffee, chocolate milk and smoky fire. Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long, warming finish. This was just a pretty good beer. I was even a bit surprised as I wasn’t expecting much.

Westmeister (2129) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 13, 2014
Draft @ Brickstore. Knowing this probably wouldn’t be my favorite beer of the day, it just looked interesting enough. Cocoa and some coffee in the aroma. Taste is medium sweet chocolate with a lingering lightly espresso finish. Not bad.

ChainGangGuy (4896) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - MAY 13, 2014
22 ounce bottle - Lucky’s Beverage World in Woodstock, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown, near black body with a few glimmers of amber when held against the light. Though not particularly tall, the creamyish, mocha-toned head is lasting.

Smell: Coffee-toned roasted malt, a gently meaty smokiness invades the nostrils, and toasted homemade German dark rye bread for an overall earthy nose. Some chocolate, some grape, too.

Taste: Roasted grain, flecks of darkened nuts and burnt rye bread. A little smoke, a little spice. Faint chocolate. Ample sweetness. A fruitiness that sneaks in hinting of grape. The smoke-induced roast and spice carry you through the end of the near-crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. A bit above medium carbonation. Smooth, creamyish mouthfeel.

Overall: Fairly satisfying. Yes, I understand this a tinkered-with, augmented Kolsch, but, I hoped that didn’t mean totally tossing out the refreshing spirit of the beer out the window. Thankfully, while there is a little added heft, it remains nicely drinkable -- really, I’m just happy it didn’t wander into unrefreshing territory.

StefanSD (2451) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - MAY 12, 2014
650 ml bottle. Pours a dark brown color with a small beige head that has fair retention. The aroma is medium in strength with roasted barley and burnt toast. The taste is more well roasted barley with some bitter nuts and cocoa. The palate is slightly thin and the carbonation is soft. Finishes short and dry. Overall A decent ale.

trujahwarrior (510) - Monroe, Washington, USA - MAY 12, 2014
On tap, pours a dark brown color with a medium sized tan head that leaves decent lacing. Smells of chocolate, rye and roasted malt. Tastes of the same things in the smell. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with good carbonation. Finally found a Kolsch I like. Well balanced and refreshing for a darker beer.