overall

RATINGS: 2253   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

jhwarfield (125) - USA - NOV 10, 2007
Bottle. Pours black a bit like flatish coke. Small pebbly brown head. moulases flavor.

raiderfost (170) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - NOV 10, 2007
UPDATED: APR 27, 2016 WOW!!!!!!!! This is heaven. Poured a rich dark brown with a light brown head. I was instantly overcome by the aroma of hops that no other IPA could recreate.The next 20 minutes were amazing! I have to get more of this! Thank you GandGKevin.

doboy (424) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - NOV 10, 2007
A BLACK IPA? And a great one at that! Poured as black as the Ace of Spades, with a nice head that reduced to a lice lacing throughout the experience. Wonderful mouthfeel as the hops explodes in your mouth. Very pleasent aftertaste. thanks to Matt for going to VA and bringing me back 2 bottles. Now I have to sweat as to when to drink the second, now or later!

kramer (6682) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 10, 2007
22 oz bottle, thanks to MrBendo for picking this up for me. Pours a clear dark brown body under a fizzy foamy one inch beige head with decent retention. Lots of intricate lacing. The nose is green piney hops with a nice slightly sweet malt base. A little nutty malt, coffee, and light alcohol. Quite unique really. Can’t say that I really care for the flavor though. The heavy handed piney hops hops don’t meld too well with the nutty roasted dry malts. I’d like some sweetness to balance this out. Some weird spiced cola and herbal notes on the finish, almost medicinal. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with little to no stickiness and moderate fizzy prickly carbonation. Gotta say, this didn’t do it for me. It was just way too medicinal tasting.

MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - NOV 10, 2007
Pleasant floral aroma predominates. Dark with a solid hefty tan head. Flavor is of course strongly bitter, with an interesting pine component. Roasted malt also comes through. Overall, balanced, but a little too heavy on the bittering hops.

5000 (6862) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - NOV 9, 2007
Bottle: HOLY PISS is this one dark, nearly black, large frothy light brown head, spotty lacing.   Looks like a flipp’n Stout.   Typical Stone hop nose, strong yet with a subtle sweetness.   However, this one yields some rather large roasted malt qualities.   Kinda reminds me of a subtle Schwarzbier, with a HUGE hop base.   Decent amount of malts, but certainly on the hop side.   Lingering bitterness, and might I say a strange roastiness.   Odd to have a beer that is so IPA like yet has this strong roasted malt presense.   Backside shows some citrus rind like qualities.   To be expected for a Stone, and quite welcomed.   Decent beer, enjoyable, but a little odd.   Body and mouthfeel are moderate to full.   Don’t let the dark color fool you, its roasty, but not as aggressive as you might think.   Different, but enjoyable.   I’ve got one more to sample thanks to dirty_martini!

SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - NOV 9, 2007
22 oz. bottle: Pours deep brown with a lacing inducing, tan head. Lots of bright, citrusy hops hover above a chocolate and roasted malt nose. Rindy and bitter from the start, the body is nicely balanced with hops and malts. Notes of caramel, toffee and coffee interplay with the rindy hops. Finishes bitter - almost like Ruinition bitter.

deline7 (13) - Michigan, USA - NOV 9, 2007
Restrained citrus hop aroma. Flavor is of roast, sweet and citrus hops. A perfect spin on IPA. Body medium. Carbonation average. Finish clean. This is still another big west coast beer. Mild acohol presence. Overall a great beer.

rudolf (2360) - Buffalo, New York, USA - NOV 9, 2007
Deep mahogany body, medium dark tan head. Nose is citrus (grapefruit and orange rind), brown sugar malts, a little alcohol, some spicing makes me think of black oak nutcracker but this is big and zesty. Flavor is caramel and slight cocoa for a moment and then the big hops come in - amarillo? some fruitiness, some alcohol. A very interesting malt profile here - I don’t know if it works - it’s more a barleywine kind of thing (Actually reminds me a bit of last year’s bigfoot.) Very bitter finish that just barely hangs on as a result of the caramel. Interesting experiment and while I don’t usually try to force things into styles this one being all over the place hurts it’s final score.

Papsoe (25063) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - NOV 9, 2007
(Bottle 65 cl) Courtesy of kmweaver. Pours a clear, warm, reddish brown with a light brown head. Very fresh, peachy aroma. Medium body, light notes of caramel but otherwise completely dominated by peachy hop notes that also leave a massive bitterness. An exciting one. 021107