overall

RATINGS: 2253   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

OminouSC2 (666) - Mora, SWEDEN - JUL 11, 2016
A beer with a special meaning to me. One of my closest friends growing up passed away 3 years ago. During our last conversation he recomended this beer to me - his favorite. I never had a chance to try it, and just a few months later, it was announced as retired by Stone. Disappointed, of course, but then I actually found a bottle - in the cellar of my late friends broher-in-law. He graciously accepted to share it with me. Black color. Chocolate aromas, some hops. Very smooth taste, dark malt, chocolate, citrus hops (even though very mellow due to the long cellaring). Sweet taste with just a slight bitter finish from the hops.

Buukwurm (42) - California, USA - JUL 9, 2016
Poured a deep, deep brown bordering on black with a creamy head. Smells of citrus with undertones of pine. Tastes like a cross between an IPA and a stout with a good deal of maltiness poking through the initial bitterness. The carbonation is a little lively. The body is medium. Overall, a truly great ale.

rentonj7 (250) - Havertown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 30, 2016
Wonderful. Deep opaque brown poor with short tan head. Huge aroma _ cocoa, roasted beef, toffees, pine, and grapefruit. Taste Carries more of the hop charter, especially pine. Lots of chocolate with some espresso. Mouthful is thick and creamy with a long, effervescent finish. Man, this is nice.

gregwilsonstl (2499) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 2, 2016
Very balanced cross between a stout and an ipa. Charred. Nice grapefuit bitterness, that isnt over powering. I cant dispute the audacious description of this, as its accurate. Thx BlackHaddock

Booga (114) - Michigan, USA - MAY 13, 2016
Really nice. Hoppy and one of the beers that sets the tone for this style. I’m sorry they retired this.

oldrtybastrd (5002) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - APR 19, 2016
Pours a dark mahogany brown with fluffy tan head. Aromas of dark malts, touch of hops, and some woody bourbon notes. Smooth malty taste to start, then hops, and a bourbon finish.

markducommun (1116) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 12, 2016
Deep clear brown, black. Deep pine resin, some deep chocolate and espresso notes. Some peppery notes. Quite bitter, a tiny bit of sweetness. Long ass finish, quite acidic, light amount of carbonation, heavier body. Good. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

J_man (996) - Tustin, California, USA - FEB 26, 2016
Well, this is fairly ridiculous. I thought I was looking this up to reminisce about this beer and see what I said about it, but apparently I never got around to rating it! I’m enjoying my last bottle of it since it is now gone forever (but replaced by Enjoy By Black IPA which is also excellent). This was a great early beer by Stone and I’m guessing they may do a "Encore Performance" run of it some day like they’re doing for others. Anyway, nice roasted malt aroma with lots of hoppyness coming out of a very dark brown but crystal clear body with a light tan head. Dark chocolate and cocoa up front with biting astringency following this which I think is both the hops and the alcohol working together. Earthy and citrusy, the hops really round out the dark roasted husky malt. Ends with more chocolate and cocoa on the tongue with a lasting bitter burn in the back. Farewell you sublimely self-righteous bastard, you will be missed and remembered.

R4N5H (1182) - NETHERLANDS - DEC 25, 2015
12oz bottle, picked up in Tokyo (2014), and consumed on 25-Dec-2015. Stored carefully, but still BBE Mar-2015. Dark, close to black in colour with a medium sized tan coloured head, which dissipated pretty quickly. Full body and soft carbonation. Aroma of sweet malt, caramel and pine. Bitter on the palate. Flavour of sweet malt, bread, molasses - very hoppy up front. Worth the wait.

bulldogops (2490) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - NOV 19, 2015
Rating #1297 21.10.2014 - On tap at Stone launch @craftbeeryeg. Pours a California back alley black with a bubbly tan head. Aroma is a violent clash between toasted malt, and floral piney hops. Taste is extremely hoppy, tempered with a pleasant coffee, chocolate, burnt sugar sweetness that disguises any alcohol on the palate and rounds out the hoppy bitterness, and is beyond refreshing. Unreal hoppy black beauty.