overall

RATINGS: 2194   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

thebaldwizard (1365) - Ohio, USA - SEP 27, 2007
Extremely dark brown pour with a monster head. Lots of citrus hops in the aroma with a hint of roasted malts. The flavor profile is the same with more roasted malt than I expected, which was a nice change of pace. Pretty aggressive beer, but easy to drink at the same time.

bb (9789) - Alamo, California, USA - SEP 27, 2007
Bottle. Rich garnet-brown beer with a light brown head. Big grapefruit/summer/trpical fruit aroma. Big grapefruit, slight pine, lychee and other tropical fruit flavor with backing darker malt - chocolate and coffee with caramel. LIngering pine and fruit with that darker malt. Medium body. Nice bitterness. Refreshing at first, then the other flavors and the bitterness come at you to make a nice beer.

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - SEP 27, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2009 Pours black with brown penetrating the edges, decent head. The aroma is an absolute bow shot of pure grapefruit, amazing. Flavor is solidly hop oriented with grapefruit being the big note. Faint pine emerges as it warms, along with a very faint note of roast that I might not have even noticed if I wasn’t looking for it. Malt sweetness to balance, but solidly a hop bomb. Just fantastic, best thing Stone has dropped on us in a while. Perhaps not as complex as others, but just awesome flavors. RERATE: Just had a bottle as the Sublimely Self Righteous on 5/9/09, as spectacular as I remembered it. I bumped it up a couple of points because I truly think this deserves a spot in my to beers. I flat love this stuff. Thank you sir, may I have another.

GandGKevin (934) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - SEP 27, 2007
OK, First let me qualify the score: A) I’m a BIG fan of Stone’s products and B) I love beers with Simcoe hops! This beer is a WOW!!! I heard/read all the hype before the release and was mildly excited. I remembered the 10th and it was really good. The 11th was beyond my expectations. You open the bottle and the room fills with grapefruit/citrus aromas. Pours black like a good stout, but make no mistake this is NO stout. It’s all IPA! The first sip is an assault on the palate not unlike Ruination with grapefruit and citrus flavors which are explosive on the tongue. You would expect from all these hops that the finish would be bitter and drying, but not so fast. The roasted malts kick in which seem to subdue bitterness and leave you with a little mocha chocolate flavor. A truly fantastic beer! I’m buying a case and trying one every few months to see how it ages or maybe they won’t last that long.

chimpscampee (566) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 26, 2007
Dry piney, citrus hop taste softened by a faint carmel chocalate aspect that reminded me of Founders dark rye. Looks like light stout with wonderfulearth, floral nose. Here’s to: "...de-husked dark malt imported from Germany and American high alpha hop varieties, including Chinook, with Simcoe and Amarillo hops."

puzzl (3264) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 26, 2007
Draft at Hop Devil. Very interesting beer. Pours looking like a stout, smells like a very dry, roasty IPA. Citrus hops are very strong, probably more citrusy than any beer I’ve ever smelled. Intense but nice. Roastiness in the flavor is a nice touch, and provides a much more interesting and different malt backbone than the boring amber malts we’ve all been so accustomed to. Very unique and tasty beer.

waolsen (1376) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - SEP 26, 2007
bottle. black with huge tan frothy head. chocolate, dark fruits, coffee, hop aroma. creamy and bitter. dark fruits, coffee, nutty, almond, mollasses, nutmeg. nicely hopped and well balanced. very enjoyable.

SoylentBlack (148) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - SEP 26, 2007
Wow. Just wow. I just want to sit and inhale the beer. It smells like it was just brewed today. The flavor and balance are perfect. There’s something different... what is that? Fantastic beer. Buying a case tomorrow.

JB175 (1665) - Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 26, 2007
Wow - Stone really outdid themselves with this one. You crack the bottle and expect to see gold (even though you know it will be dark) and you see a porterish-looking brew with a tan head. Aroma on this one is very fresh and sweet with citrus and pine. Flavor has some sticky-sweet citrus and pine hops, some roasty-sweet malt and maybe some chocolate in there. Really nice mouthfeel - sticky, but smooth. I’m just hoping to hide some from myself and try it again in 3-6 month intervals. Awesome!

TomDecapolis (4636) - Milton, Delaware, USA - SEP 26, 2007
Pours a deep black with ruby highlights when held to the light and a medium to large foamy/creamy tan head that left lacing and sustained. Aroma of citrus, hops, floral notes, caramel, Flavor was up front hops, toffee, some roasted notes, mixed citrus, pine, some grapefruit, chocolate notes and lightly smokey. There is a lot of hops in here and this beer is still fresh. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out after the hops mellow and some of the more roasted character comes out.