overall

RATINGS: 2252   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Were brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
thefederalist (307) - Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA - NOV 12, 2010
I was really worried about not liking this. But I find it much less deficient than most attempts at a IIPA or impy stout. The people at Stone know what they are doing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
GSH1976 (307) - Delaware, USA - FEB 13, 2013
This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Stone is a top notch brewer. The beer pours black with some tan head. Carbonation is low. The aroma is hoppy with some pine and citrus evident but there is also some subdued caramel malt sweetness. The taste is initially bitter but there are awesome some malt notes and the finish is a lingering bitterness. I love the balance between malts and hops. The body is on the light side and the alcohol is hidden extremely well. A very nice beer that I will be purchasing again in the very near future.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
Homebrewerguy (305) - Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 11, 2010
This is my first black IPA and I must say Im impressed, both negatively and positively. Most everything seems to be done very well in the marriage of dark malts and citrus hops. Very hoppy aroma but a very malty flavor of dark malts. What I dont like is the odd combination of flavors in this beer. I prefer more traditional hops for this dark beer (more herbal or flowery). The hops overwhelm the palate about halfway through the glass so youre basically drinking an AIPA anyway.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DubC5000 (305) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAR 1, 2009
Smokey, bitter, oaken aroma, opaque black in color. Similar flavor, very high hop bitterness and mild grassy flavor, with a sweet malty backdrop. Slight alcohol burn, but consistent with the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Chipper (303) - Red Lion, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 10, 2009
Dar, nearly black pour with a decent tan head. Huge hops and roasted malt aroma. The flavor is great! Hops and touch of the roasted flavor. The alcohol is well hidden and the finish is smooth and dry. Another home run by Stone.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
warhawk91 (302) - Newington, Connecticut, USA - NOV 5, 2013
UPDATED: NOV 8, 2013 12 oz. bottle. Black pour with a thin but stubborn khaki head, good lacing. Aroma is off the charts. Big piney hops with citrus, pineapple, mango, earthy dark roast with caramel, coffee. Taste is unique, burnt sugar, coffee plus a hop wallop and bitterness. The sweetness of the pineapple and caramel and bitterness of the coffee and hops play off each other very well. As it warms I am getting a chocolate note as well. Very hop forward but the subtle notes that make up the malt are not lost. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly viscous, smooth carbonation. Black IPAs are tricky and Stone pulls this one off almost flawlessly. Definitely the best and most balanced black IPA Ive had. ABV is sneaky like an imperial even though its not categorized as such. Hats off to Stone, great brew. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerandIT (300) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUL 9, 2009
So happy they made the 11th stick around! Pours a dark black with about an inch of head fading away slowly but leaving some nice lacing on the glass with the first few sips. Medium bodied beer. On the aroma I am getting hops, some of that west coast citrus, get those dark roasted malts hiding in there a bit as well. I like what they were going for here and the other black IPAs or beers that are calling themselves this pale in comparison to me. Stone has set the benchmark here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BigBang (299) - Indiana, USA - JAN 2, 2010
What a smooth enjoyable black IPA. Kind of a hoppier version of Arrogant Bastard - delightful. I could enjoy this one over and over. Someone else described the pour as "cola", which is right on the mark. Taste is a nice rich malt blend with great hoppiness. Too bad I cant get this locally. Thanks to Updebrew for this one...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
radioseer (299) - Virginia, USA - JUL 13, 2010
(22 ounce bomber - shaker glass) Pours a opaque black color with tan head that dissapates to less than a half finger length. The smell of this beer knocked me on my ass! Very hoppy aroma, consists of citrus, resin and floral hops. But also has notes of chocolate, espresso coffee and even dark fruits such as figs, dates, raisin and licorice. Taste is of a pleastant heavy bitterness and has a light sweetness. Soft carbonation, full body and great bitter finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrianHagmeier (299) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - OCT 5, 2012
Smells exactly like its name suggests it would. As well, it taste exactly as its name suggests. Plus, good. Not great but damn good. Its full of the bitter and chocolate and coffee and with piney and citrus and blah blah ba frackin blah. Its a real good black IPA. Id recommend it.