overall

RATINGS: 2194   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

Norton (333) - Southside, Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAY 2, 2013
Draft. Woah. I am astonished at the high ratings here. I found this overall to be very derivative and unexciting. This has got to be the most overrated brew I’ve tried in several years. Minimal head does not stay long. Deep blackish brown. Hops. Hops. Hops. That’s all I get. A faint twinge of roastiness. I don’t get it.

Steverus0 (332) - Shreveport, Louisiana, USA - MAY 6, 2013
This is...well... Not quite heaven, but I suppose that sublime is apt. This brew cuts a perfect balance between the roasted notes and hoppy bitterness that others have performed with less success. Pours an opaque ebony with bright and decently persistent head. Aroma of pine and hints of chocolate. Taste is roasted barley and a faint chocolate with flower-forward west coast hop varieties. Smooth and balanced on the mouth. Yup. New favorite (at least one of them) ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Wegro (332) - Fresno, California, USA - SEP 27, 2007
Bottle from Wholefoods for $4.50. pours a deep black, some ruby if held up to the light. Big fat tan head leaves tons of lacing all over. Smells of green hops and lots of it, with a little alcohol if you get a good whiff. This is one of the hoppiest beers I’ve had in a long time. And it takes a LOT for me to say that. Tastes initially of hops, the grapefruity kind and the underlying malt leaves some dark chocolate to go along with the quite bitter finish. I’m not huge on double IPAs but I could get used to this "dark" ipa thing! The malt doesn’t overshadow the hops (this thing has so much hops, i wonder what the IBU on this shit is) but it gives it the backbone it needs and adds complexity. I knew I should pick up a bottle of this before it was too late. Complex, unique, hoppy, highly alcoholic, what else do you want???

cleverlobo (331) - Connecticut, USA - APR 8, 2011
bottle; black with red hue and thick brown head; aroma-sweet, roasty, mostly pine, some grapefruit; taste-moderate sweetness, mild carbonation and strong bitterness. Pine come through again. Wow-I could drink this until the end of time.

hollardustin (330) - Indiana, USA - NOV 25, 2011
Pours black with ruby highlights and a two finger frothy off-white head. Aroma is a nice hop bouquet of resins, citrus, and pine and faint notes of dry roasted grains. Taste is bitter throughout with a nice balance between hop bitterness and bitter black malts. It finishes dry with a soft mouthfeel. Overall, it’s everything that you want in this style. Delicious beer.

jimmie65 (330) - Texas, USA - DEC 18, 2012
Black beer, slight red undertone, thick tan head. Lots of fruit in the aroma, as well as pine, grapefruit, and chocolate. Malt, chocolate, spice and hops flavors. Nice bite in the finish.

aplusbreaks (330) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUL 2, 2008
Pours a dark brown/black that little light makes it through. Has a nice tan head that hangs around for a bit and leaves some decent lacing. Aroma at the beginning of the glass its a blast of hops, but then the hops mellow out and the caramel and malt notes kick in. As for the flavor my first reaction was malts and and dark fruits, but the bitterness of the hops really kicks in at the end. I do recall this being a little better and more IPA like when I had it a few months back.

petematte46 (330) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAY 6, 2009
On Tap at the Tap Room San Diego. Poured a dark black/brown with little head. This one’s a nice mix of a medium IPA and stout. Honestly, I didn’t know what to expect given the label, but it’s something good. Great stuff.

jumpjet2k (330) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUN 21, 2010
Tap at the Austin Flying Saucer. Pretty much black, with a nice medium-sized tan head. The aroma is full of piney hops, accompanied by some nice toasty malt. A nice strong bitter flavor then joins a sizable sweet malty backbone. Another really strong presentation from Stone, and a very drinkable one at that. Hope to be seeing a lot more of this one.

Avengedpoet (329) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - APR 28, 2009
This is an older bottle of 11th, so take this review somewhat in stride. However, fresh this beer didn’t impress me either as opposed to the vast majority of people. Pours a very dark brown with a fairly hefty tan head. Aroma is of clean American hops - Centennial, Cascade, and Simcoe, as well as some very minor roast lurking behind the hops. Taste is mostly bitterness (now, fresh had a much more grapefruit bouquet), and a touch roasty. Not terribly exciting and I don’t know why they deemed it worthy of being done again. Why not 6th? This isn’t as complex, delicious, or enjoyable as straight Stone IPA, and the mild roastiness clashes with the hops in this case. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, but I always applaud them for trying new things.