overall

RATINGS: 2195   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

bpr77 (264) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JAN 14, 2012
Black ipa, apparently. Aroma is stone ipa but black ipa anywwya this beer rocks, of course.

smashteroid (262) - Alabama, USA - FEB 10, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2008 Served cold from bottle. Pours dark brown/black with a fairly thick off-white head. Good lacing. Aroma is sweet with malts and some citrus-y flavors. Not particularly flavorful as far as I am concerned. The hops overshadow any of the other ingredients, which is fine, but I look for more flavor in a "strong ale". If I was in the mood for an ESB or an extreme IPA, that’d be one thing, but I guess due to the uniqueness of this beer and the quality output Stone normally produces, the 11th left something to be desired.

skibumphishead (259) - Massachusetts, USA - OCT 5, 2007
22 shared with brie... I dropped it right after I popped the top. 1/4 of the beer ended up on the ground for the cats to enjoy. This is an IPA that looks like a porter. The dark chocolate malt tastes great with the Stone signature over the top hops. The citrus was strong and made this taste like one of those orange flavored chocolates u get at chrismas... I’m gonna go back and buy a few of these awesome beers.

MannyGoldberg (259) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JAN 1, 2012
Based on it’s status as top ranked black IPA on here I’d been looking forward to trying this out. An extremely pleasant beer but lacking the hop attack I like in my preferred black IPAs. Not much on the nose but reassuring malty sweetness. Overall I’d rate any of the three Kernel black IPAs released so far ahead of this brew. None of those are in the top 50 though, go figure! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

mcnealc31 (258) - Elida, Ohio, USA - FEB 28, 2011
Pours dark as a stout with a slightly off-white creamy, rocky head. Several different hops in the nose. Lots of hops in the flavor with the charred and roasted flavors finally in the finish. Lemon and grapefruit start, then the roast, followed with a familiar hop pummeling.

dankman (257) - Somewhere in, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2007
This is one different beer, but it’s really good. This beer drinks, smells and tastes like a mellow IPA but with the hints of roasted cofee and carmel you’d expect from some porters or a quadrupel. Quite unique, if you get the chance I suggest trying it.

p1meatloaf (256) - Corvallis, Oregon, USA - SEP 3, 2011
taster at trinity brewery in Colorado Springs. Looks rather black but brownish red in the light. Good soapy light brown head. Smells of toasty hops and bitter complexity. Tastes very clean, with dark bitterness that is "gwarming". Love this beer. overall 9.5 of 10.

Kroney (256) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 25, 2013
Pours black... and I mean black, with a thick two-finger peanut butter colored head. Even with the roasted malt backbone, the aroma is all hops(pine, citrus, a little spicey). Flavor has much more roasted malt flavor than the aroma, which is a great change-of-pace for a heavy leaning hop head/ipa fanatic. Finishes with a nice warming effect too. Medium, small bubble carbonation... easy drinking, which could be dangerous with an abv just south of 9%.

julesjis (256) - Oregon, USA - SEP 16, 2014
Poured from a 22. Aroma has an initial familiar medicinal scent that I can’t place, something hydrogen peroxide-ish. Taste is not sweet, but a nice roasty and savory taste. This is a great beer but not sure if it is 100% worthy.