overall

RATINGS: 2189   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

cafgen (209) - California, USA - MAR 28, 2014
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2014 Nice dark color with a nice roasted color head. Aroma is pine, citrus, hoppy and a slight sweetnes. Taste is pine and hoppy. Very smooth. Definitely try it. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

vacantskies (208) - Spokane, Washington, USA - OCT 4, 2010
Pours dark with a thick, multi-leveled foam that sticks to the side of the glass. The aroma is piney with a hint of chocolate. The flavor is rich and dry.

MannyGoldberg (207) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JAN 1, 2012
Based on it’s status as top ranked black IPA on here I’d been looking forward to trying this out. An extremely pleasant beer but lacking the hop attack I like in my preferred black IPAs. Not much on the nose but reassuring malty sweetness. Overall I’d rate any of the three Kernel black IPAs released so far ahead of this brew. None of those are in the top 50 though, go figure! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

metalhead0043 (207) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - NOV 22, 2013
12 oz bottle for 4 bucks. Pours black with an amber hue and a huge tan head. Aroma is mostly a strong floral hop with some fruit, vanilla and caramel malt underneath. Taste is pretty much exclusively hop flavors; pine and floral. Not much finish on this one to speak of either. Body is average, average carbonation. I’m not really tasting any of the malt flavors in this one. It kinda just tastes like an IPA to me. Not bad by any stretch but it hasn’t blown me away either.

firemarshal (206) - North Carolina, USA - DEC 13, 2013
Sample at 201 Central - Wesley Chapel, NC. Bready, malty aroma. Good chocolate, coffee, toasted malt flavor. Maybe some citrus hops. Not my style nor my favorite from stone. Good nonetheless.

mesperon (205) - Hillsdale, New Jersey, USA - MAR 4, 2009
(Stone 11th Anniversary, bottled 2007.) Pours deep deep dark brown, almost pitch black with a medium tan head. Very hoppy aroma, citrussy and floral. Elements of dark roasted malt and toffee and coffee. Medium full body with good carbonation. Flavor starts with sharp hop bite, and then the floral character of the hops open up, followed by bitterness both from the hops and the dark roast. Very obvious dark bitter coffee and a slight sweetness of toffee. Finishes with a lasting dry bitterness on the back of the tongue. Great combination of hoppy and dark roast bitterness.

socaltay (204) - Ventura, California, USA - FEB 1, 2011
Aroma is of thick smokey malt with a spicy hop smell on the back end. The appearance is thick and very dark brown with a very small head. Taste is smokey and full of hops on the back end. It is a very well balanced beer . The first taste that I get is the malt and that is followed by a surge of bittering hops. I love this beer, I haven’t found another Cascadian dark ale that I like as much. Please if you have any recommendations, send them my way

shakespeare33 (203) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2010
Pours a dark chocolate almost espresso type color with the coca cola caramel head.. The aroma is very intriguing.. I get the hoppiness but then as someone in an earlier rating pointed out, I get a faint sense of horseradish, a little sting to the nose that nudges the aroma along.. Initial hit to the palate is pure stone.. I mean forget the color, this is not a malt dominated ale, this thing hops like a rabbit wearing springs.. A bitter pine, earthy hop, with some roasted, toasty flavoring at the end. the first sip was overpowering and surprising but it settles in nicely as it warms.. The bitterness lingers a little too long for my likeing but I know thats just stone tagging their name.. I almost feel as though my palate has still yet to mature to the level where I can truly appreciate a complex ale such as this.. Ill have to review it another year or so.... another innovative ale from stone, this thing really has no catergory but is definitely enjoyable..

General66 (203) - Streator, Illinois, USA - APR 27, 2010
Bomber shared with my brother-in-law. I was pretty excited to have this brew because everything that I have had from Stone has been good. This did not disappoint. Poured a deep brown color with a one finger width tan head and mahogany tints around the edges. I thought I saw a bit of a cascade effect after it was poured also. The aroma consists of dark dried fruit, floral hops, and some sweet notes. The taste had the same characteristics as the aroma with some roasted malt thrown in for good measure. I was surprised with how much hop character I could pick up in this dark brew. It grew even more complex as the beer warmed. On paper, these characteristics may sound a bit weird... but this was a very well balanced brew! Another great product by Stone!

timmy300 (203) - bloomington, Illinois, USA - JUN 13, 2008
this has mellowed a bit since i sampled it on tap at stone brewing world bistro gardens back in january. the complexity is coming through nicely. it looks like a porter with a hind of red. lls of dark ripe fruit....lots of character in the nose, a hint of tobbacco maybe licorice. high acidity, big body, this beer has a delightfully long chewy finish while somehow remaining refreshing even at the high abv.