overall

RATINGS: 2189   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

shakespeare33 (203) - Washington DC, USA - MAR 22, 2010
Pours a dark chocolate almost espresso type color with the coca cola caramel head.. The aroma is very intriguing.. I get the hoppiness but then as someone in an earlier rating pointed out, I get a faint sense of horseradish, a little sting to the nose that nudges the aroma along.. Initial hit to the palate is pure stone.. I mean forget the color, this is not a malt dominated ale, this thing hops like a rabbit wearing springs.. A bitter pine, earthy hop, with some roasted, toasty flavoring at the end. the first sip was overpowering and surprising but it settles in nicely as it warms.. The bitterness lingers a little too long for my likeing but I know thats just stone tagging their name.. I almost feel as though my palate has still yet to mature to the level where I can truly appreciate a complex ale such as this.. Ill have to review it another year or so.... another innovative ale from stone, this thing really has no catergory but is definitely enjoyable..

General66 (203) - Streator, Illinois, USA - APR 27, 2010
Bomber shared with my brother-in-law. I was pretty excited to have this brew because everything that I have had from Stone has been good. This did not disappoint. Poured a deep brown color with a one finger width tan head and mahogany tints around the edges. I thought I saw a bit of a cascade effect after it was poured also. The aroma consists of dark dried fruit, floral hops, and some sweet notes. The taste had the same characteristics as the aroma with some roasted malt thrown in for good measure. I was surprised with how much hop character I could pick up in this dark brew. It grew even more complex as the beer warmed. On paper, these characteristics may sound a bit weird... but this was a very well balanced brew! Another great product by Stone!

Feinschmecker (202) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 10, 2007
Bottle. Complex citrus hoppy aroma with hints of chocolate and a prominence of alcohol. Color is dark brown. The slightly syrupy brew slides over the tongue while it is overwhelmed with the complex profile.

WLG423 (201) - Connecticut, USA - JUL 15, 2010
Pours out dark black-brown with a light colored head. Aromas are notably hop heavy with an earthy aroma with strong notes of evergreen and lush forest. Flavors are more malt oriented, working well to create a delicious bitter-sweet balance of citrus/earth and caramel/toast. One of my favorite Stone creations.

jlieber17 (201) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 11, 2010
22oz bottle. Pours near-black with fairly thick tan head. Aroma is not nearly as hoppy as I would have expected, really more sweet; mocha, a bit of alcohol. Silky smooth in the mouth. Finishes with a kick of bitterness that doesn’t linger. Quite amazing, really.

brstp (201) - - SEP 25, 2007
On tap at City Beer Store. Pours a dark brown, no head unfortunately. Aroma is a wham bam thank you ma’am floral hops but eventually gets taken over by the caramel and coffee malt. Big hop bitterness with more of the same caramel and coffee cocoa malt. Very clean finish like the lightest citrus IPA, but with the backbone of a strong porter. Awesome.

gator2683 (199) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUL 31, 2010
black with beige head. citrus/grapefruit hop aroma. full body and the flavor is strong hops at first and then slightly sweet and chocolaty

regspeir (199) - Havertown, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2010
22 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip Pours a very dark brown (almost black) with a large off-white head, good retention and lacing. Nice carbonation. Nose is an IPA - hops, citrus, pine with some roasted malt undercurrent. Taste surprises. The pine and bitterness are there, but so is some coffee and chocolate. Medium body. The finish is some bitterness but not overwhelming. There is also some alcohol warmth. This beer was a nice surprise and I will be seeking it out, when available.

Jwasciuk (198) - Lowell, Michigan, USA - JUL 19, 2008
Pours murkey dark black with an average rocky light brown head. Aroma is heavly malty or dark bread, roasted malts and dark chocolate, heavly hoppy of resin and lime, lightly yeasty of leather. Flavor is nicely balanced, roasty /malty and biscuity with generous amounts of hop bitterness. starts sweet, bitter in the middle and sweeter in the finsh again. Dark fruit, prunes, nice and complex with some alcohol warming. Medium to full bodied, creamy and softly carbonated.

rateyourpoison (198) - chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 14, 2010
22oz bomber. Pours really dark with a frothy tan head. Piney hop aroma some undertones of dark fruit. Sweet raisin malt start with a big hop finish. A nice hop character that seem so impart some serious licorice bitterness. Nice.