overall

RATINGS: 2253   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

luv2brew (196) - Chesterfield, Virginia, USA - OCT 19, 2007
Pours dark, real dark with a foamy white head that slowly fades. This one is hoppy, no question about it. This was quite a surprise, I had a dfh 90 minute before this and it is extremely similar, well as far as the hops go. The Stone XI has a mellowness that the the dark grains give off, but its hard to detect.

firefly765 (195) - - DEC 31, 2013
12 ounce bottle pours a deep black with a foamy tan head. Nice citrus aroma. With some pine notes also. Very nice tasting black IPA. Nice Malt to hops balance nice roasty flavor but not over done ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

MereLikesBeer (195) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - JUN 25, 2009
So, I can’t say that I am in love with this beer. I shared a bottle of this with BeerBaron617 and don’t really know exactly how I feel about the whole situation. It poured dark like a stout, yet had the aroma of an IPA, and is a "strong ale." So what to think? Well, it had a nice big head and was a really dark brown black. The aroma was nice and hoppy and very citrus fruity. Taste was nice and juicy fruity, yet finished really really bitter. I just don’t know how I feel about that... it was perfect until that exceptional bitter taste at the end :(

hopslovin (194) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - NOV 23, 2007
Bomber. Deep ruby/brown pour with off-white head. Big malt presence on the nose. Bitter hop flavors, some pine, and very slight smoke in flavor. Medium mouthfeel. Sweet bitter finish. Very good beer.

Jerm719 (193) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JUN 3, 2014
The standard for excellence in a black ipa. Roasted malt, citrus/ piney hops. Burnt lemon, pale malts, smoke, caramel, blackend toast. Balanced, with a long hoppy finish. One of the most popular black IPAs, and for a reason, it’s excellent!

c_lee_burton (193) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JUL 28, 2014
Another delicious Stone offering. Great combo of smoke, coffee, hops, citrus, carbonation, and cherry. Wonderful year round brew that’s hearty enough for Winter, yet smooth and crisp enough for Summer.

DigitalMan (193) - Idaho, USA - SEP 29, 2010
Black with very small light tan head. Hoppy pine aroma, like Arrogant Bastard. Yep that’s a lot of hoppiness, if that’s your thing. The bitterness in the finish is just too much for me to enjoy.

Wolfenkopf (193) - Villa Park, Illinois, USA - FEB 9, 2011
The hoppy aroma is so intense, you’re eyes will water. Just behind it is a malt that smells similar to a strong rye bread. The mixture of the two sensations is unusual and amazing. The head is off-white and fades after a time. The brew is a dark caramel, letting only the slightest light pass through. The taste is unapologetic in its extreme hoppyness. The malt’s rye quality is right there to back it up. Silky and milky on the palate, the bitterness of the hops continues into the aftertaste, but does not take anything away from your enjoyment.

VengefulOdin (193) - , Missouri, USA - MAY 15, 2011
To say that I’ve been looking forward to this beer is an understatement. One of my buddies happened to pick this up in Denver last year but he of course didn’t share. 22 ounce bomber poured into an oversized wine goblet. Comes out of the bottle dark brown (think cola) with a frothy long lasting tan head. Wish the head was a bit thicker, but the high ABV probably makes that difficult. Aroma comes across as this dank and earthy hop character, with big notes of pine. It’s huge! Roasted grain and chocolate are buried in the nose. You have to work your way past the incredible hop aroma but they’re in there. Then there’s the whole matter of taste. Hops shatter the palate first, with a prolonged bitterness in the finish. The first taste is all hops. As you acclimate you’ll be able to start to pick at the malt profile a bit more, but the first taste is jarring. I like the mouthfeel as well. It’s slick and despite all the hops never gets sticky. This beer finishes very dry (something I’ve noticed with most Stone beers), as the malt character never goes overboard into sweet territory. Instead it opts for roasted and nutty, with a slight bitter coffee note. That’s not the best description. Let me put it this way I’ve toasted pine nuts, getting them to the point where they’re almost too dark, and that’s what this malt flavor reminds me of. It’s not burnt, but is right there on the edge. There’s also some definite alcohol warmth but I’m not picking up any fusels in the nose or taste, very impressive. It’s not often that I find a beer that lives up to my expectations when trying it, but Sublimely Self-Righteous does that and then some. Not sure if it’s possible, but this is a textbook example of an emerging style.

Lupulucid (189) - - MAY 21, 2013
Somewhat subtle malty aroma belies an intense hop character in the palate. Amazing hop flavors eventually give way to bitterness and malt. This is in many ways several beers rolled into one.