overall

RATINGS: 2195   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

Shink (177) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 24, 2012
Out of the bottle from Uptown after the Stone tasting. I didn?t get to try this one so I bought a bottle and I am glad I did. Pours dark brown, almost black with a thick tan head. Extremely hoppy smell and taste which is a huge upside. Slightly malty finish, but not overpowering. Hoppy taste comes right back with the next drink. High ABV but doesn?t taste like it. Excellent!

brettpace (176) - New York City, New York, USA - SEP 23, 2007
THis is a great beer. Very hoppy, very strong. Nice dark color, one of my favorite beers from STONE.

PhillyHomeBrew (176) - Forest Hills, New York, USA - NOV 7, 2007
Nice brown head on top of a very dark brown, almost black body. Hardly any light gets through the beer, except a brown tint at the top and bottom. Very hoppy aroma with floral notes and citrus but also a little sour citrus notes as well- maybe grapefruit. The floral notes follow through to the palate as well. But the also a bit of a toast and coffee flavors. A bit too burnt tasting for my liking

Beeronaut (176) - Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND - JUL 7, 2010
Although I have already rated this beer, I did so from memory and basic field notes. So, in the name of fairness and total legitimacy, I’ve decided to rate this great beer again with it right in front of me - the only side note being: that this, I assume is a new batch, as I first tasted the beer a year ago, and the place I get it from has only just restocked it, along with the new 2010 Old Guardian Barley Wine. So here goes: What an aroma! This beer has a nose that is just sensational. So much to take in - be in no doubt, this may look like a stout, pouring black with red hues at the edge of the glass, but it’s big IIPA hops to the fore! Along with highly resinous, earthy smelling hops there’s some grapefruit, loads of caramel and toffee, treacle, pepper - almost a note of celery... There’s also a good bit of sweetness in the background reminiscent of candy-floss or boiled sweets. Flavour is pretty darn mental. First up the hops definitely do the talking with loads of resinous flavours, bordering on rubber/leather, then there’s is an element of smoke and mineral, a truly roasted, pretty much charcoal bitterness. There are also ark fruit flavours such as bitter plum and blackberry, though without much citric tartness, having said that though, there is still a flavour reminiscent of grapefruit. There are some sweeter notes, once again more candied than anything else, I want to avoid using words like "chocolate" and "coffee" as that would be too easy under the circumstances, as it may look black, but this is no stout. The finish is big BIG bitterness ( you could almost mistake the bitterness for espresso, but it’s most definitely alpha acids bringing the hit) More charcoal and wet stones/slate in the finish also, with the tiniest hint of fruit. Finish has considerable length, almost like a great mature cheddar. I have to admit, I’ve hardly even scratched the surface as far as the complexity of this beer is concerned. But rest assured it has many levels to investigate, and shall reward any experimenter handsomely if you spend the necessary time with it. Truly wicked beer!

muteprint (176) - Olympia, Washington, USA - SEP 13, 2010
22 oz bottle. Dark slightly thick black color with a brown head that laces the glass. Aroma is full of IPA hops along with mild coffee and dark chocolate. The taste masks the high ABV completely but this beer will definitely warm your insides. Its hard to describe just how this beer tastes... Sweet hoppy bitterness at the start and a dry chocolate porter finish. Amazing complex beer that I am very glad to have been able to drink!

ReademNwheat (175) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 2, 2008
From a 22oz bottle. Pours a dark murky color with a nice off white head. Aroma of piney hops and roasted malts. Flavors is very hoppy with notes of pine, slight citrus and roasty malts. Very tasty brew.

thagr81_us (175) - Gaffney, South Carolina, USA - MAY 18, 2010
Served from bottle into a Spaten mug. Pours dark dark brown almost black with a one-finger light tan head. The aroma is mainly of a slight hoppy note. The flavor on the other-hand is of weak hops with a subtle nutty flavor. It was medium on the palate with low carbonation. There was no apparent lacing. Overall this is a very nice brew as with most Stone’s. Definitely worth trying if you have not before...

udflyerfan07 (173) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2010
Bomber from Belmont in Dayton, OH. Poured a very very dark brown, almost black color. Nice looking ale. Aroma of bread, nuts, ect. Very bold taste for an ale. Extremely smooth beer, taste boarding on that of a porter. Highly recommended.

Keil (171) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 5, 2011
Aroma is luscious, fruity, floral hops. Slightly citrusy notes combine with the roasted chocolate flavors of the malt. Smells delicous. Pours a dark brown with a big off white head. Taste is roasted malt immediately on the front, slightly chocolate. Follows up with a huge hop punch. Really coats your mouth with flavor. Lingering bitterness. Surprising amount of hop character for as powerful as the malt still is. Best black IPA I’ve tasted.

raiderfost (171) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - NOV 10, 2007
UPDATED: APR 27, 2016 WOW!!!!!!!! This is heaven. Poured a rich dark brown with a light brown head. I was instantly overcome by the aroma of hops that no other IPA could recreate.The next 20 minutes were amazing! I have to get more of this! Thank you GandGKevin.