overall

RATINGS: 2187   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
We’re brewers whose substantial mettle and idiomatic approach to brewing allows us to consistently create works of art such as this justifiably self righteous ale. Its bitterness hits our sweet spot. Its blackness lightens our hearts. Its liquid dichotomy pulls it all together in this sublimely sacrosanct ale. Yes, we damn well know our stuff here at Stone, and it would be irresponsible of us not to acknowledge how remarkable this heavenly creation of ours is. Thus the name we are compelled to give it ... Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale ... serves as a reminder of just how good we are, in both liquid and verbal form. We re certainly not perfect. Too often, we allow our modesty to get the best of us as we re simply not inclined towards senseless braggadocio. When youre good, youre good. And when you do something great, the least you can do is acknowledge it. Others benefit from knowing. In this case, we find that we are compelled to point out how amazing this beer is that we rightly call the Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale.

First brewed in 2007 as Stone 11th Anniversary Ale, this beer was an instant hit. With us. Other folks with great taste loved it too, but we were focused on how much we liked it, and we felt it was truly sublime. That euphoria didnt last long though, as it was soon replaced with the grim reality that when we sold out of it there wouldnt be any more. For Us. And that was simply unacceptable. So, we are now blessing ourselves, and you the enlightened, with this beer on a full time basis.. Thusly, you may now revel in your own self righteousness as you see fit with this glorious example of ours. You are genuinely welcome, as it is our pleasure.

mcb (36) - - JUL 18, 2012
Darker the beer, sweeter the taste!.....This is close to perfection. What a way to combine the best of both worlds.........dark stout and ipa.....wow, insane or should I say sublimely delicious!

Jamofoloco (2) - California, USA - SEP 7, 2012 does not count
Love this beer. this beer was a very tasty, strong and took me by surprise. I will always pick this beer when given three choice.

tiffntino1 (2) - Sacramento, California, USA - SEP 13, 2012 does not count
I tried it as part of a sampler at Burger’s and Brew in Sacramento, CA and I had to go home and find it on the internet at Total Wine on Arden. I went and bought 3 22’s cause that’s all they had in stock. Then the next week my wife found out that they now have a 4 pack of 12 oz’s so I bought 2and tried 1 22 of arrogant bastard and like that one too. You guys do an excellent job at brewing ale!

MeralKween (8) - - OCT 29, 2012 does not count
Pours black as night, no head. Strong malts first, followed by hops, a lingering hoppy aftertaste. Refreshing, full bodied.

BlueRidgeMatt (39) - Virginia, USA - NOV 12, 2012
This is a best in class beer for me! Absolutely great aroma and flavor. Stone is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

MHOSKINS (83) - Cleveland, Tennessee, USA - FEB 15, 2013
Perfect blend. Stone has hit a home run with this flavor. If you love the hops of an IPA, the taste and texture of a fine stout or porter, the thus beer is for you. The perfect blend the combines the best of both worlds. Stone Rocks again! MKH---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

want1DIPA (227) - - MAY 12, 2013
This is the GOAT! It's bold but subtle regarding Hoppiness and ABV%. It plays tricks on my mind because its a DIPA, but it looks like a stinking stout. I simply adore this beer. It's also the reason I love craftbeer, Stone Sublime was my first. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone so go have a DIPA!

Benfi (692) - DENMARK - JUL 12, 2013
Black with light tan head. Aroma is pretty even of citrus/pine hops and roasted malt. Taste starts out with the hop flavors, giving way to the bitterness and roasted malt (only now having some mild chocolate and coffee notes). Thick body, low carbonation, creamy with a dry finish. Pretty good balance between an IPA and a porter

MetalNHopHead (2014) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - DEC 26, 2013
Yet again, Stone proves that they can get away with putting delightfully narcissistic names on their bottles. Can you blame them? I certainly can’t. This Black IPA is roasty and hoppy in all the best ways. This is black perfection in every sense of the word.

UXO (1896) - CANADA - JUN 13, 2014
Pours a deep cola red with two fingers of persistent tan head, heavy lacing. Nose is piney and earthy hops with a hint of citrus, dark roasty malt, coffee and chocolate. Taste starts out with sweet malt but is quickly overtaken by astringent dry bitterness. Medium bodied and creamy, with a lingering bitter finish and gentle warming. Wow - big and bombastic, sublimely self-righteous, indeed. Take all the best characteristics of stout and IPA, and combine. No caramel malt here, it’s all dark and roasty goodness. I don’t care if it makes me look like an amateur with the RateBeer crowd, I don’t see there’s any possible way to improve on this, and so don’t see how I can give this anything less than a perfect score.