Stoney Creek Original Vanilla Porter

Formerly brewed at Stoney Creek Breweries
Style: Porter
Detroit, Michigan USA

RATINGS: 196   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
World Beer Cup 2000 & 2002 Bronze Medal winner. This traditional English porter is brewed with Madagascar vanilla beans.

chupe66699's rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
chupe66699 (6) - Ballwin, Missouri, USA - AUG 29, 2001
I couldn't believe some of the reviews on this beer; it's one of my favorite porters! Although after reading, I thought about their points a bit more. I do agree, the vanilla/chocolate tones may be overpowering a bit, but I actually like that. It's a little sweet, very robust in flavor, and smooth drinking. It is maybe a little watery in comparison to other similar porters/stouts like the Aspen Meadow Vanilla Cream Stout (very thick, but not as tasteful imo), but the taste of this beer more than makes up for that. It's definitely one of the beers I look forward to drinking when the weather turns colder.

bhensonb (15489) - Woodland, California, USA - JAN 12, 2015
From file last updated 2010. Bottle. Pours brown with tan head. Aroma of chocolate and vanilla. Flavor matches. It’s not quite dry.

Hcgiii (31) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 20, 2012
Meh……………&hellip . ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

adrian910ss (2588) - Doylestown, PA, USA - SEP 15, 2010
12 oz bottle. Pours a deep cola color with a small beige head. Aroma of sweet malt, vanilla beans and milk chocolate. Taste of sweet malt, vanilla beans and milk chocolate.

jtclockwork (16831) - , New Jersey, USA - MAY 5, 2010
Very impressive black pour. Nose and taste has distinct vanilla bean in it. Very good beer. Rated 3/22/03

nbutler11 (1267) - Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, ENGLAND - JUL 15, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2008 While I’ll readily admit that my memory of this beer carries a heavy amount of sentiment -- this was THE beer that I kept in the fridge in Michigan every time I went home. It’s malty chocolate and vanilla combination neared pefection from a porter that was readily available at the gas station. The fact that the brewery went out of business is beyond my comprehension.

mikey (503) - farmington, Utah, USA - APR 6, 2008
Poured a dark crimson walnut color with a large tan head of fine foam. The nose was a pleasant swirl of cocoa and vanilla. The taste started with melted milk chocolate then was nearly overcome by the vanilla beans. Even though chocolate and vanilla are dominate there is some decent malt structure with a sweetness and a smoothness in the mouth that comes through. The finish has a tiny bitter bite that turns the sweet into a bittersweet end. The feel was medium to low but still pleasant. flavor isn’t overwhelmed by the vanilla, but it’s close. This beer combines one of my favorite styles with one of the most pleasant flavors on earth (vanilla). I normally like my porters with deep and roasted flavors, this not that and I loved it anyway. It’s a shame this is no longer available. I was quite found of this porter.

UofFkid (108) - Orlando, Florida, USA - JAN 21, 2008
Bottle. Poured rich black with a small brown colored head. Very little lacing. Strong sweet aroma of vanilla and cocoa. Very smooth. I was holding onto this bottle for quite some time, finally decided to pop open my last one. This beer is in my top 5, let’s hope someone recreates this recipe.

RSRIZZO (2009) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 1, 2007
Had this beer on 11/5/1998. Color is a deep black, with low carbonation and head. Aroma is rich and sweet. Taste is smooth and light. It starts with a medium / light body that goes down smooth with a creamy feel and a gentle sweetness. The finish is very light for a porter with mild roasted malt flavors and a bit of sweetness, though I wouldn’t call it a vanilla taste in the sweetness. Although I feel a porter should be a little more robust than this it is a very drinkable beer.

ElJefe (553) - Rochester, New York, USA - SEP 21, 2007
Very dark brown with a light brown head. Big, sweet aroma of cocoa and a ton of vanilla. This one is way on the sweet side for a porter (though I don’t find overly sweet beers as detestable as most) - lots of vanilla, but not as overpowering as the aroma suggested. Notes of chocolate and nuts, mildly roasty. 12 oz bottle, sampled May 2005.

kp (10882) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - SEP 1, 2007
Date: 09/07/2002
Mode: Bottle
Source: Trade

Bcack, big tan head, rich chocolate malt aroma with a hint of vanilla that becomes more pronounced after warming, velvet smooth, rich malt flavor, just a touch of bitterness

Aroma: 9/10; Appearance: 5/10; Flavor: 6/10; Palate: 5/10; Overall: 13/20
Rating: 3.4/5.0
Score: **+/4
-------- /> The score was calculated based upon the notes and an old scoring system.