overall
Brewed by De Struise Brouwers
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Oostvleteren, Belgium

RATINGS: 2242   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
In the early 1900s, the village of De Panne, close to the French border, was famous for two things -- the ‘Pannepots,’ or fishing boats, that could be seen along the coast, and the unique dark ale enjoyed by the local fishermen. Our Old Fisherman’s Ale is a tribute to these hardy sailors and their rich, flavorful brew. Unfiltered. Unpasteurized. Bottle-conditioned in 33cl and 75cl.

bchlala (42) - DENMARK - NOV 1, 2008
I tasted this beer before I got my account with ratebeer, so I can’t really remember all the flavors.

smith4498 (3646) - Winter Springs, Florida, USA - OCT 29, 2008
2006 bottle. Pours dark brown with tan head. Sweet dark fruit, candy sugar and yeasty aromas. Flavors of plums, raisins, candy sugar, licorice, caramel, cherries and yeast. Very complex. Medium body with tingly carbonation that dances on the tongue. Excellent beer.

Bontus (800) - Flanders, BELGIUM - OCT 27, 2008
UPDATED: NOV 2, 2008 Bottle from my cellar. Pours dark brown and thick as oil with a small brown head. Kandi sugar nose makes me anticipate a first sip eagerly. Aroma’s are woods, earthy, oily, dark fruits, sweet and roasted licorice. Very complex but very good. Alcohol warming lingers for a while. To be drunk slowly.

Nightfall (1307) - Hamburg, GERMANY - OCT 24, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 11, 2009 Tried the bottle I purchased from Beer Paradise (Holstebro) in the Sommer. And still have a Grand reserva 2005 in my Beer Cellar. And what a fantastic beer it is. Brown - Red color with huge foamy brown head. Vinous aroma with caramel and dried plums aroma. Complex tastes of roasted caramel, brown sugar,dried fruit and raisins. Alcohol content is very well hidden, making this very very drinkable. I wish I could have it on a regular basis ! An exceptional brew !

dwyerpg (6187) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 23, 2008
Smells and looks pretty good. Big head but it disappears quickly. A little fizzy, but pretty smooth. A crisp bite comes out at the end and lingers. This is great. Doesn’t seem strong at all.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 23, 2008
Blasphemy, I realize, but I thought the Old Monk’s Ale was better than this beer. Nonetheless, this is a very good beer offering some very pleasant sour notes in addition to some fruitiness that is quite distinct from the Old Monk’s Ale. Poured a dark red-brown. Didn’t leap out of the bottle the way the Old Monk’s Ale did. Sturdy tan head fades to a scummy coating atop the beer. Aroma is sour, vinegar, and somehow chalky...like Deus. The aroma was also sour enough to me to be reminiscent of a Berlinerweisse. Flavor is preceded by that rough, chalky mouthfeel. Cherry-ish and very sour. Some roastiness and a ton of sour. I love sour, and believe it to be the flavor atop the beer hierarchy of flavors (if there is such a thing), but I’m not sure that the sour is presented here in the most attractive way...I love sour beers, and this is a very good beer with some sour elements, yet I didn’t love this beer. Nonetheless, I would recommend it. I obtained this bottle at Beer Mania in Brussels.

markwise (5441) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - OCT 21, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2010 This is arguably the best beer that I have ever had. It blends the depth of a Rochfort 10 with the sweetness of a Stille Nacht and the malty goodness of a World Wide Stout, while barely scratching the surface. It pours a deep dark brown with a slight head. Aroma is dark fruit, cinnamon, lots of malt, candy sugar, alcohol, raisins, and other flavors yet to be experienced by the uninitiated. It finishes incredibly smoothly and a finish that leaves the drinker remarkably enticed. Harder to find than a Golden Flea biting an immortal two-headed goat in Florida right now.

slemmert (20) - Slagelse, Flakkebjerg, DENMARK - OCT 20, 2008
My favourite strong belgian. So soft and velvet like, is makes my think of..... Dark brown colour, hazy look and nice foam. Watch out when opening, it sometimes "boils" over. Flavour is rich with dired fruit, sweet malt and nice light sourness makes this brew outstanding. Vintage 2006.

otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 13, 2008
I grew up on the Indian River and a 10 minute walk from the ocean. Both were my playground, fishing is a lifelong passion of mine, and Hemingway an inspiration. Therefore, to partake of a fine old ale in the style and tradition of the fisherman of yore is a special treat for me. My heart definitely lies with the ocean and my body rests contentedly amidst her watery embrace.
My Struise Pannepot poured a solid black into my glass while leaving no room for the light of day anywhere within her depths. A fat thick cappuccino tinged head rises and fades into a foamy blanket on top. From the first to the last quaff, that blanket rests on top of her body as if to protect her from the elements. A sweet nip in the nose is quickly overwhelmed by winter spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, roasted chestnuts, and hints of fresh rhubarb pie. Wow. All that in just a few whiffs of the nose. Impressive and tantalizing all at the same time. Not one to keep a lady waiting, I delve into her watery depths and am greeted by a very frothy body and mouthfeel which belies her appearance. Sweet and creamy, I taste dark cherries, rhubarb, and spices. A bit chewy, my Struise Pannepot is sweet and vegetal at the same time. Not to be outdone, further exploration reveals more dark fruits and a hint of vanilla peeks through as her waters warm. The finish is smooth, sweet, spicy and warming. A perfect restorative while out fishing Mother Ocean’s cold watery depths or after docking from a long day appeasing her fickle nature. All the way down to my last quaff a spider web network of brussels lace sticks to the sides of my glass like sargassum. Magnificent.
While I could enjoy my Struise Pannepot at any time of the year, she is definitely more of a winter brew. From start to finish I was bewitched by her seductive call, like the sirens of lore. If I could get my hands on another bottle, I wouldn’t hesitate a moment, and if I could get my hands on a case, I wouldn’t hesitate either. Now, where’s my Hemingway. I have a hankering for The Old Man and the Sea.

BMan1113VR (7931) - Los Angeles, California, USA - OCT 12, 2008
2006 bottle shared with m4rest88. Sadly, a gusher... Pours with a rocky, light brown head with a very dark brown body. Aroma of currants, alcohol, figs, dry red wine, slightly herbal with caramel, chocolate, brandy, cinnamon and raisins (pretty complex). Taste is sweet with strong alcohol, dark fruits, blood, brandy and coffee. Syrupy mouthfeel with strongish, carbonation for the weight and style.