overall
RATINGS: 692   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.27/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Summit Extra Pale Ale is not a beer brewed only for beer snobs. Just the opposite. It’s a beer for everyone to enjoy: construction workers, stock brokers, farmers, sales people, clerks, teachers, lawyers, doctors, even other brewers. Its light bronze color and distinctly hoppy flavor have made it a favorite in St. Paul, Minneapolis and the rest of the Upper Midwest ever since we first brewed it back in 1986.

Braudog (6763) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - JAN 18, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2006 Copper orange with a standing head. Hint of hop to the nose. Metallic-hoppy citric flavors. Smooth. Best choice I could find in Minot, ND (UPDATE): First rated in ND when I lived in Nevada. This became my "everyday" beer when I lived in Omaha. Session after session ... between this and Goose Island IPA for my favorite midwestern brews.

balke13 (156) - MIssoula, Montana, USA - JAN 15, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2005 nice golden amber color with a decent hoppy aroma, mildly to quite bitter with a slightly sweet and floral taste to it and a nice finish. a good beer but i prefer snpa!!!

steview (1037) - Petaluma, California, USA - JAN 8, 2004
i had this brew after my bells amber and sierra nevada pale ale. this is similiar. it has a floral and bitter bite, with seemingly less malt and complexity. it's primarily floral and bitter with only just a few drops of sweetness. it's not bad. i like it.

Gmku (303) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JAN 7, 2004
If my score seems a little low, it's only because I've grown away from this style and don't find the style in general very interesting anymore. But, for the style, this is an excellent example. Deep golden in color, grainy aroma, very hoppy and full bodied. A great beer for warmer weather.

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2003
Deep gold color, OK head. Aroma is of grainy bready malts and earth accented hops. Flavors run towards the hops, remaining earthy, but introducing some gentle citrus flavors as well. Surprisingly full bodied, reminded me of many other golden ales I've enjoyed. Thanks wawood!

beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - NOV 26, 2003
On-tap: This stuff is everywhere around here and I can't figure out why? IMO, this is the least pleasing brew that Summit makes, why they decided to push this beer over some of the others is beyond me. Color is a honey yellow with a thin, white bubbly head of froth, about a finger high. Smells of citrusy spiced hops and light caramel, super rich in the hop notes. But this is where it takes a turn for me, is the taste, extra pale? Extra pale of what exactly? Its way to dry and bitter, very unpleasant to me, not pale by any means of my imagination of what pale means. I just don't know what it is about the taste, but I just pucker up like a Aunt at Christmas who hasn't seen me in ages. Blahyuk. Reminds me of a mineral or salt lick and fish scales when it finally reaches my throat and begins to tear my stomach to shreds. As before, its just to drying and overly hoppy bittering. Heavy in its approach that goes in the wrong direction for me. I've been debating whether or not to review this beer, cuz I think I might get some guff from some of the Summit lovers out there, but at a recent dinner out I decided to throw caution to the wind and try one. Well thank goodness I was able to drink some Schell's to help clense my ruined palette.

ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - NOV 17, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2003 living in st paul, and being a listener of 'mischke' on the radio, i've heard about this beer since i was about 12. smells decent-- hoppy and flowery. a tad thin... with a hoppy bitterness that isn't quite satisfying enough. i drink this when there isn't anything else, or if i feel like pay homage to my old, favorite city of residence.

JPDIPSO (6236) - Wauwatosa, USA - SEP 24, 2003
Near amber color with a dense beige head. Dough and floral aroma, with hints of light citrus. Mild caramel flavors with a slight metallic feel. Heavier in feel. Somewhat average APA.

Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 17, 2003
Being from the Twin Cities, this is sometimes the only option when the rest is swill. It is ligthly amber in color and a less than average head when coming from the tap. The flavor is average. But it's better than the swill.

seuinoz (260) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - AUG 20, 2003
very refreshing beer with a great smack of hoppness. nothing else to say about it.